NO FUEL IN THE RAILS

mungt99

My 90 Reatta will only start if I spray starter fluid into the TB.

It seems to run as long as I spray.

I have disconected the fuel line to the rails and there is nothing coming out.

I hear something I believe to be the fuel pump but still nothing.

The long story is the was a parts car that I decided to restore.

Someone had removed every fuse and relay from the car. I thought I had replaced all of them, but now find another relay block back by the antenna.

I can't find any info as to what plugs into the block or what it's for.

I will also need to replace the instrument panel as I have tried all the recommeded repairs, and I still have 00 ERROR.

Edited by mungt99 (see edit history)

The fuel pump relay is one of three located on the firewall in the middle of the car above the engine. On the '89 it is the one closest to the passenger side of the car. I do not know if it is the same on the '90.

There are two things you MAY hear when you turn the key;

The Teves brake pump, located in the front of the car

the fuel pump, located in the back of the car.

Thank you, on the 90 there are only 2 relays on the firewall.

The brake pump may be what I'm hearing, but the sound seems like it's coming from the rear.

Do you hear the noise continuously or does it stop after a couple of seconds? Have you opened the hood and listened to see where it is coming from?

The car does have plenty of fuel in the tank right?

Try activating the pump with the test prime connector. The connector is located right by the brake master cylinder. It is the green one not connected to anything.

You can test the fuel pump for operation with the test connector as follows:

• Apply 12v to the connector to supply power on the pump to determine if it runs.

• Connect a meter to the connector to see if you get voltage to the pump on when you turn on the key. You should read 12 volts for about 2 seconds each time you turn the key on. If you don't get voltage when you turn the key on check for a bad relay.

Report back here with what you find

The filter on the 1990 is 1 bolt and two clips, so if the fuel pump is working it has to be the filter, you said you replaced it , I would double check.

I put six gallons of fresh gas and a new fuel filter in just before I tried to start the car.

I can seem to find the test connector, I have looked all around the master cylinder and I don't seen anything green or otherwise that is not connected to something.

The wire comes out of the wire harness,just below the master cylinder. It is held with the split plastic wire loom, some one might of put it in the casing.It is usually a green wire with a plastic connection which is just sitting there, nothing is connected to it. If someone replaced the plastic loom,look inside it for this wire.

I put six gallons of fresh gas and a new fuel filter in just before I tried to start the car.

I can seem to find the test connector, I have looked all around the master cylinder and I don't seen anything green or otherwise that is not connected to something.

Read through the thread below and it will help you troubleshoot the fuel pump problem.

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/no-fuel-pump-activation-key-256866.html

Guest craig hewitt

buy or borrow a fuel pump pressure tester mine had 16 psi and would not start 40 psi and been running ever since pump was weak most when warm short trips let it sit for a hour would fire and stumble that gage was a life saver for me. having most cars now electric pumps it is good just to buy one Craig

Guest Bobby Valines

When you try to listen for the fuel pump to go on, take off the gas cap have someone turn key on with your ear close to the opening.

Hokay, the one piece that got left off is with the key OFF, check for continuity (200 ohms scale) between the green connector and ground. A good fuel pump should read less than 80 ohms (may be a lot less, I just do not remember but not zero and not open).

Just had one that would not work until I whopped it with the back of a screwdriver. blem wit that is that it had to be out of the tank to whop it.

Guest reattajack
My 90 Reatta will only start if I spray starter fluid into the TB.

It seems to run as long as I spray.

I have disconected the fuel line to the rails and there is nothing coming out.

I hear something I believe to be the fuel pump but still nothing.

The long story is the was a parts car that I decided to restore.

Someone had removed every fuse and relay from the car. I thought I had replaced all of them, but now find another relay block back by the antenna.

I can't find any info as to what plugs into the block or what it's for.

I will also need to replace the instrument panel as I have tried all the recommeded repairs, and I still have 00 ERROR.

the filter on the pump may be clogged

i just put a new pump in my tank

i had to take my reatta to the dealership to get rid of the 00 error---they had to program the bcm chip

you may just have a bad gauge cluster too

have fun---i did

And nothing happens when you apply 12v to the connector and try to start ? Time to drop the tank I am afraid,

Might disconnect the filter and apply 12v first but if nada occurs just be glad it is not an Aurora, have to remove a good piece of the rear suspension on them.