Where does one find reproduction steamer trunks?

Echo Robert

Robert: They are not steamer trunks.

Jan

Yep...they are not steamer trunks, but they do go on car trunk racks. The black item mounts with a rod on each side which I do not have. There is a missing part of one latch. the black item is 37" long x 17 3/4" high x 12 1/4" deep.

post-37352-143138145447_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138145451_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138145455_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138145458_thumb.jpg

Jan or John, what is the difference between steamer and these trunks that John is showing, I thought that any trunk mounted to the rear of car was considered steamer.

There are lots of original 1920s and 30s trunks around. I see them in thrift stores all the time.

Car trunks are a lot less common, still there are enough around that I don't think anyone has bothered to reproduce them.

An old trunk with original shipping labels would be a cool accesory for your trunk rack.

By the time you find and purchase one, you're into it for $200 or more and then have to refurbish it for show quality. Why not make up your own trunk using dimensions and shape to fit exactly what you want? Use cabinet grade 3/4 Ply for the base, 1/2 Ply for the sides and tops, glue, biscuit joint and screw together all joints. Hardware and threaded rivets are available from Restoration Supply company (RSC). Piano Hinge is from McMaster-Carr (McMaster-Carr), and covering material is book binding vinyl from Gane Brothers.

Article on using threaded rivets for trunks:

Antique & Classic Automobile Restoration Tips

Materials: $150

Labor: $0

Satisfaction: Priceless

Chris

Edited by Friartuck
Typo (see edit history)

There are several types of trunks. A steamer trunk was originally used on boats to carry luggage for passengers hence the name Steamer. They normally were flat on the side and top so they can be stacked. You also have hump back trunks which were used for storage. For use on automobiles there are two types of trunks. One style fits on the trunk rack at the back on the car and then there are thinner ones which mount of the running board. When you look at rack mounted trunks there are two types. If you have a trunk rack that has a spare tire mounted behind it they made a trunk that opened from the end to allow you to leave the spare tire in place. The other style opens from the rear. Some trunks had luggage that was fitted to the trunks. Trunks were made of steel or wood with fabric cover. If you want to make a wooden one with fabric covering I have instructions somewhere.They are reproducing trunks for Model A.

Have a Merry Christmas

There are several types of trunks. A steamer trunk was originally used on boats to carry luggage for passengers hence the name Steamer. They normally were flat on the side and top so they can be stacked. You also have hump back trunks which were used for storage. For use on automobiles there are two types of trunks. One style fits on the trunk rack at the back on the car and then there are thinner ones which mount of the running board. When you look at rack mounted trunks there are two types. If you have a trunk rack that has a spare tire mounted behind it they made a trunk that opened from the end to allow you to leave the spare tire in place. The other style opens from the rear. Some trunks had luggage that was fitted to the trunks. Trunks were made of steel or wood with fabric cover. If you want to make a wooden one with fabric covering I have instructions somewhere.They are reproducing trunks for Model A.

Have a Merry Christmas

I just want to mention that some cars with the rear spare tire have trunks mounted on a rack, but the top opens instead of the end.