1939 Indian 4 cyl

caf

Hi,,,Back to basic,,,101,,,,Puttr on a milk crate,,in hi gear,,turn til #1 intake closes,,,continue til its at[near] top dead ctr,,As you continue a bit further ,,the NEXT cylender to fire will close its intake valve,,,,,,Just watch the order the intke valver opperate in,,Its basic and you can use this on any engine,,,,Timing,,,set the piston about 1/4" before tdc ,,,and set the mag [while in the adv position] to JUST break the points as the points lever is swung all the way adv,,thats a short stroke,,,maybee 3/16 would be enough,,,the twist grip should have enough swing,,,Retard should be just a tad after tdc,,on retard,,Have you found Ted Hodgston's book,,,Golden age of Fours,,Ted wrote the book on how to ride a bike,for the US ARMY,,back when he was at Indian,,,He and some of the Indian crew went to Nutley NJ to BSA,,Ted was president,,,,,Oh yes,,on twin timing,,hoho,,,the early indian had the cylender under the seat post,,,when they made the twin,,the 'new' cylender went up front,,that was called #2,,,So now we have the oddity that #1 is NOT in the front,,,I think Vincent was same,,Hope this helps,,Good luck,,,and let us know how you make out,,Safty tip,,,have fire ex handy,,,you always need it when you dont think you will,,,,,,Cheers,,Ben

If the extra spark occurs at tdc,,of the ex stroke,not much happens,,,,,,,except once in a while,loud report from ex pipe,,,the N-U Bosch mag [i think]used on Metz cars,,was this way also,,telling sign is NO distrubtor,,,just 4 wires and a commutator I think,,on the main shaft,,no gears,,,Cheers,,Ben

Guest simplyconnected
Hi,,,Back to basic,,,101,,,,

Pull the plugs out, put your fingers over the spark plug holes and start cranking. Start w/#1 and feel it push your finger, then the next finger, and so on.

No removing covers, etc. - Dave