how do you remove the vents from the cowl

Guest Slingblade44

Guest Slingblade44

some genius painted the chrome vent/scoops under the windshield in front of the wipers that has the screen under them. I unscrewed the screws but can't get them off. Is the a way to get them off so I can clean the paint off without removing the wipers and the cowl? This is on a 65 Riviera.

Guest Slingblade44
Hi,

That "genius" was the Buick Assembly Plant in Flint, Michigan! Only the upper edge of the grille is exposed chrome, the rest is supposed to be body color. To remove the grills, the cowl panel will have to be removed.

Tim

I saw the paint flaking back and it was chrome under it, figured the whole thing was like that.

Guest Gee_Rydes

Many people have gone the route of completely removing the paint for a look they might have thought was factory. I personally think it is too much chrome, but that is just my opinion.

Pretty hard to have a line of chrome next to a line of paint and without a seam and keep the paint on it. You have to remove the "slickness" of the chrome for any paint to really adhere properly but then you take the risk of damaging the chrome that will show.

Pretty poor design in my opinion. They should have had that chrome strip be a separate piece that bolted on if that is what they wanted.

2 cents worth on my end