Sinking Economy

Willy

Has anyone noticed that the economy is hitting the car collectors? I was selling old car parts on eBay, and noticed last year I sold the same items I'm selling this year for more money. One example, a grille for a 1951 Buick Special last year sold for $132, this year the same grille sold for $37. Either I'm imagining it, or this year is not a good time to sell car parts. Is anyone having the same problem, or should I get back on the auction block? Willy

Everyone has less money. GOOD stuff will always bring good money, the so so stuff has to be priced right. All my good stuff was sold years ago, so I'm down to the floor sweepings, and non automotive items. Year old novels and LP records are not worth listing. Loading stuff for a flea market is a thing i gave up years ago. It was all fun while it lasted. I do have great memories of what life was like in the good old days.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Don't know. I've got a really good '39 Buick for sale, and I can hardly even find a person to ask questions about it, much less buy it. Sold an equal '48 Buick 4 years ago for good money, quickly. The guy who has been trying to sell the '39 for me says nothing is moving very well at his dealership. I think we're in a real funk because of the economy.

Old cars, and art, go hand in hand.... in an economy like this we are all just a bunch of "starving artists". Good thing I have enough tractors, and needed equipment to work on, (More than I can do.) and Excavation work or I would be just another "Starving Artist" also.

Guest doberman

Must be yhe items you are listing are the ones that every one has three of on a shelf

they are hording. So you dont get the bids you are expecting.I for one are on there every

day looking for parts I need for late teens db touring but never see.

Like steve said put the stuff on there I need and you will see and i'll go far to get it.

BUT I am not going to shelf parts that I cant use know because of this crapy economy. ALAN

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

The only items I look at on ebay are for Metropolitans. Those items or parts are holding their own. Multiple bids and high prices continue for the right item.

Guest doberman

Sorry about the rant but I was just sitting here on a 20 degree friday morning

with a 22 year old heating co. knowing the only reason my phone is not ringing

is because the employment rate is 18% and people cant even aford to fix there furnace

much less replace it in this economy. Didnt meen to get political. Just frustrated.

The US used to have an industrial economy but you threw all that away 30 years ago.

Since then you have had a service economy in other words, a consumer driven economy.

But without the industrial jobs the consumers don't have as much money. So for the last 20 years you have had a credit economy.

Credit is a great thing until you use it, then it turns into debt which is bad.

For 20 years the economy ran on more and more consumer credit, handed out to worse and worse risks, at lower and lower rates.

You pushed this to the absolute limit but 2 years ago the consumer hit the wall. At some point you get so far in debt you not only can't get out, you can't even make the payments on what you have.

The economy can only recover if you liquidate the bad debts and that means widespread bankruptcy, consumer and business.

The bad debts have not been liquidated. The bad banks and big businesses have been propped up by massive government handouts.

Meanwhile consumers are still in a jam, plus the big banks have raised everyone's credit card interest rate to 29.9% while lowering credit limits.

So consumers have NO money and NO credit and NO WAY to get out.

Meanwhile the government is loaning the big banks trillions of dollars at practically 0 interest and they are putting it into the stock market, creating an artificial stock market boom based on nothing.

As soon as the banks try to cash out, the market crashes.

In the meantime the consumer is screwed, business is screwed, the banks are raking it in hand over fist.

This all ends when foreigners are no longer willing to buy your government bonds. The last few bond sales have not gone well. The only thing preventing a complete collapse is that the foreign countries that are stuck with trillions in US debt, do not want to start a run on the bank. But they don't want to throw good money after bad either.

In other words the US is up sh*t creek without a paddle. And that is putting it mildly.

The end game is either the government wises up (they won't) or they keep running the same scams until the economy collapses.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Good money always paid for unusual early spark plugs, automotive sheet music, brass lights, etc.

For years I wrote down everything I sold at Hershey. Tried to replace things along the way. It didn't work. One year I couldn't keep Ford tools nailed down. Next year couldn't give them away. Sometimes I sell something I've carried to Hershey for fifteen years and nobody has ever looked at it or asked how much. This year I had a really rare spark plug in a display case and nobody ever asked "how much." Gads, it could have been five bucks (it wasn't)!

So, don't confuse your inability to predict the market with one's inability to afford your stuff.

Remember, you can only sell your good stuff one time.

I wish I did not see a lot of truth in what Rusty has posted.

There are still some small bright spots. I believe that The US is still a world leader in manufacturing high tech items. Event though it is a few years old, If you want to read some interesting (and lengthy) academic analysis of the issue of high tech manufacturing in the US, feel free to check out the following link:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/2004/RAND_TR136.pdf

Guest Skyking
Sure feel sorry for the kids future, this was a great country.

Once again 1937, we agree on something...............we lived through the best years!

The only wealth a country can generate is by the production of goods. We used to be the greatest producer of industrial goods in the world, bar none. Now we are reduced to selling each other services and crap nobody wants except kids, (toys, music, clothes, and cell phones) and the crap is mostly produced in third World countries.

I just bought a new tractor, not a garden type but a real one. I wanted to buy American. Couldn't do it. There isn't a tractor under 100 HP made in the US. I bought a New Holland, an old Pennsylvania company. My tractor was made in Italy by Fiat. So that was $39,000 that DIDN'T feed the miner, steel worker, foundyman, machinest, assembly line worker etc etc etc. The saleman did get a small cut though.

I'm buying a used Bridgeport milling machine. Bridgeports were the standard of the world. They closed thier doors in 2002 and were bought by Hardinge. Hardinge is (was) the gold standard for quality. They ceased production in the US and are having thier machines made in China. I'm told the new machines are OK but not of past quality.

I'm afraid that if you are past retiremant age you have lived through the greatest age this country has ever seen, or will ever see again. Sad, sad, sad.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

We just sold a set of four hubcaps for a '58 Chevy and a complete tail light for a '509 VW from the Buy-Sell Forum. They weren't for sale long when two members snapped them up. But then we had them priced to move. And the shippping charge was just that, actual cost and no "handling charge" for packing the items. We used boxes, etc. that we have sitting around anyway.

I think that some folks are trying to get rich from the hobby and they are going to be hurting in an economy like we are having right now.

Manufacturing can go up and down. England was the world's leading industrial economy until the U.S. took over about a hundred years ago. Now, China is rising to the lead. That doesn't mean we're through, however. Look what Germany and Japan accomplished after devastating wars. I take the optimistic view that the USA has a few tricks up its sleeve!

Phil

P.S. Bob: If you made me some parts with your new Bridgeport milling machine, wouldn't that help the U.S. manufacturing economy?

Guest Skyking
That doesn't mean we're through, however. I take the optimistic view that the USA has a few tricks up its sleeve!

Truthfully, I don't think this new generation has what it takes to start over. It will never become what it was.............

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

I don't have the Bridgeport yet but as soon as I do.............

Send me your tired, your worn out, your rusted masses yearning to be fixed. The wretched refuge of your teeming shop. Send these useless scrap pile-tossed to me.

With apoligies to Emma Lazarus and Lady Liberty.........Bob

Rusty said it right.

The well is dry. (do a google or youtube search for "dollar collapse" )

On the Ebay issue; Who hired the current managers? They could not have picked a worse time to switch to "the new ebay motors".

If you are searching for easy keywords like "Metropolitan" or "Model A" , you are Ok. But other types of vague searches are VERY hard to do. I used to search for 20 different items, but now just a couple, because it takes too long....plus, do I really need these things? :)

With a bad economy, people were looking for a reason to get away from spending money on ebay, and now ebay made such a mess of searching, that the people went to youtube or where ever.

I complained on the ebay forum, along with HUNDREDS of others about how hard the searches are, and how our sales are down, ad view counts are way down, etc. I also said I was not selling there anymore. Ebay actually PHONED me at 7:30 pm, begging me to list a "dozen" things. I said NO. They finally talked me into listing 2 or 3 and said he would send me his personal ebay email add'y, and if I got hammered on the sales, he would give me "sellers credit money". Well, the items were soft on ending price and he never sent his email to me.

Guest billybird

Many sad but true comments within this thread. I think anyone with any sense of realism would agree; this is not America any more. Or at least not what it was when I was a boy. It seems to me there was a movement for years to try and bring the rest of the world up to our standard of living and when it did'nt work then the powers that be decided to bring us down to the standard of the rest of the world. Guess what? It's working. No longer is it whats best for America, but whats best for the world. No wonder some of the "pip sqweak" countries that once trembled at Americas might now arrogantly thumb thier noses at us. We've lost world respect by doing what everyone else wants instead of what is best for us. The party's over.

My take on ebay sales is that it is a matter of perspective.I'm pay fair but not exorbitant prices for parts.In some instances a year or two back I made 50% or 100% on a part and now I'm only making 20-30%. I'm still making a profit.I've eliminated a lot of cost by skipping the small swapmeets and out state events along with the inherent costs.It bothers me to do that but spending $6-700 to go to a event 7 hours away for 3 days was taking too much of a bite.Selling worldwide from home makes financial sense.The parts business is one of ebbs and flows,trends and backlash.The economy has always dictated sales and prices for both good and bad times.

Guest Skyking

On the Ebay issue; Who hired the current managers? They could not have picked a worse time to switch to "the new ebay motors".

Not only Ebay Motors.......... Have you tried to list anything on ebay lately???

They made it so confusing that I don't even list anymore. Now they want the size of the box and the exact amount to ship the item. I found myself spending the whole night to list one item. Kept getting "error". It's really frustrating...............

Yes, we agree on that, might push things upn to 1964, but the toilet got flushed and the world is now in the crapper. As to the eBay listing deal, the postal/shipping rate deal is a total pain. I just click on thr estimated shipping option. I'll state the weight BEFORE boxing and offer an estimate. I'll NEVER USE UPS FedEx Ground is who I use for heavy items. I'll also state in my item discription that I DO NOT TRUST ANY SHIPPING RATE eBay TAHES UPON ITSELF TOPOST IN MY AUCTIONS. Had an item listed for $19.99 checked it the day it ended, had no bids yet, you think the EBAY posted shipping of $144.00 hasd an effect? It sold for $19.99 and FedEx Ground shipped it for $11.50. Thank you college geak eBay staff!

Guest Skyking

Since this thread is about our sinking economy, I read in this mornings paper about Japan's own new "cash for clunkers program"..........It excludes all GM, Ford & Chrysler's. That's a nice slap in the face to us...............

I think we have all noticed. Three or four years ago you could put any part or car on ebay and it was gone instantly. ebay today just isn't what it used to be, I think even more than just from the economy. But some of the others above are right, the market may be smaller and less funded, but good stuff is still good stuff and will find a home. We all have to recognize that cars are not what they were worth even two years ago. As a dealer, I recently radically marked all my older inventory down to match today's prices. I have to face a loss on some, but, I also find that the market has stablized and there are a lots of great cars out there at "today's" prices to be bought. So it is a double edged sword. Don't expect your car to be worth what it was even last year, but don't expect to have to pay for your next one as much.

Keep in mind it could be worse, you could have put all your car money into stocks!

[quote Bob: If you made me some parts with your new Bridgeport milling machine, wouldn't that help the U.S. manufacturing economy?

I don't have the Bridgeport yet but as soon as I do.............

Send me your tired, your worn out, your rusted masses yearning to be fixed. The wretched refuge of your teeming shop. Send these useless scrap pile-tossed to me.

With apoligies to Emma Lazarus and Lady Liberty.........Bob

I have a 1968 Bridgeport 9X42 With a 2J veriable speed head and a Newall digitial readout. Excellent American built low hour machine. I bought it at an Auction some years ago for a very good price. A friend has a Chinese Copy that he had for some time, and it was not half the machine of the ones built here. 20 years ago I bet I would have not been able to come close to getting the Mill as would have easily brought $2,500 to $3,000. Most of the folks at the auction did not even know what it was so I had no competition which made me wonder then what the world was comming to. Seems they do not teach many trades in schools anymore. In fact the mill came from a wood working trade school that was repossesed by a bank. And all this was before the crash. What have we become? Also bought a 13" X 6 foot South Bend Lathe from a university. They were getting rid of the 1990's vintage American machines and replacing them with new foreign lathes. How's that grab your goat??? Dandy Dave!

The situation is just as bad here in thre EU

And up until now unlike us you have had a Govt that allowed you to think for yourself!

Here Govt knows best!!! They screw you in every way they can

They actually had a law on how bent bananas had to be to sell them here

TOO STRAIGHT........IN THE TRASH

And there are ebays here for each country.........

I hear you Dave. Your BP sounds about what I'm buying except I wanted a step pully drive. When I called the place that has them the guy says he has at least 40 of em. If you go on the Practical Machinest Forum most of the small job shop owners are hurting for work. How did the worlds greatest economic engine come to this, where you can't even buy a tractor or the machine tools to make them in the USA? I think the term "global economy" is code for being dragged down to third world status..............Bob

I'd follow that banana peel trail, most likely there is a banana bread factory owned by the lawmaker or a family member. :)

The situation is just as bad here in thre EU

And up until now unlike us you have had a Govt that allowed you to think for yourself!

Here Govt knows best!!! They screw you in every way they can

They actually had a law on how bent bananas had to be to sell them here

TOO STRAIGHT........IN THE TRASH

And there are ebays here for each country.........

• 2 weeks later...