The Presidential name of "Clinton" connection to Buick

Charles D. Barnette

Former President Bill Clinton's stepfather was named Roger Clinton. Roger Clinton married Bill's mother in 1950 in Hope, Arkansas. In 1953, the family moved to Hot Springs, Arkansas. Roger Clinton owned and/or managed together with his brother Raymond a Buick dealership in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Bill Clinton, who was born William Jefferson Blythe III, formally adopted the surname of "Clinton" when Bill turned the age of 14. The rest is U.S. history. Yesterday I was visiting the car collection of a fellow resident of Texarkana, Texas. To my amazement included in his collection is a 1954 4 door sedan Buick Special. The dealer name plate on the left rear of the car says: "Clinton-Hot Springs, Ark"! I believe this car to be a product of the Clinton Buick dealership that was owned and/or managed by Bill's stepfather and uncle while Bill was growing up in Hot Springs. I consider this to be an historical find for both Buick and U.S. history. My legal assistant Carla will post pictures of this Buick with its famous dealer name plate. Charles D. Barnette

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
Another interesting find there Charles. Now if I had that car I think I'd name it.................

Lamar, I think we're all suprised this is one of the many 54's you don't have.:D:D

Still even after considering everything, it is historically fascinating to realize that before the name "Clinton" was used as an Arkansas Attorney General, an Arkansas Governor, a U.S. President, and thru Bill's wife Hillary as a New York Senator and currently as the Secretary Of State in the Obama Administration, the name "Clinton" was first used for a Buick dealership located in Hot Springs, Arkansas, and for awhile also located in Hope, Arkansas (where Bill's widowed mother Virginia met and married Roger Clinton). It truly, historically all began with a Buick dealership named "Clinton". The "rags to riches" story of Bill Clinton has firm roots to a Buick dealership! Charles

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

In our local museum, Tex-Ark Antique Auto Museum, of Texarkana, I found a unusual picture of a 1926 Buick yesterday at our annual Christmas party. One of our members bought the car in 1970 from a Mr. Maddox who had tried in an unsuccessful attempt to make the car into a tractor complete with tractor seat. Eventually the car wound up in a local salvage yard and then ended up in the same collection as the 54 Buick pictured above on this thread. The reason I am including this car on this thread is because it is the Museum's solid understanding that "The car was left behind by Roger Clinton when he moved his Buick Agency in Hope, Arkansas to Hot Springs." Hope is only 30 miles from Texarkana. Carla will post a picture of the car (probably taken in 1970) on this thread tomorrow. Charles

Lamar, I think we're all suprised this is one of the many 54's you don't have.:D:D

I am a conservative Republican but no matter what the dealer emblem reads, would not hesitate to include that nicely patina'd Buick in my collection if'n it was for sale and the price was right.... Very right... and me thinks the only appropriate name for her would be .....of course........ Miss Lewinsky

Guest Ctynes57

This 1926 Buick was left behind by Roger Clinton when he moved his Buick Agency in Hope, Arkansas to Hot Springs. A later unsuccessful attempt was made to turn it into a tractor. Note the tractor seat. (circa 1970) Charles D. Barnette

post-61385-14313814563_thumb.jpg