Sign in to follow this  
1917Maxwell1Ton

1917 Maxwell 1 Ton, how many left in the world?

I was told that there are only 5 left in the entire world. Is this factual? I am the neighbor of a very good friend that owns a 1917 Maxwell 1-Ton that is fully functional and parade ready. It had a restoration performed 20 or so years ago and unfortunately due to personal and health related issues, he is forced to sell his beloved Maxwell. I am not using this section to sell his truck, but rather to find out more information on it. Searching the web has proved futile, I can not find any information about how many are left in the world, but according to my neighbor that owns this truck, it is supposed to be 1 of 5 in existence.

Is there anyone here that has any information as to how many are left? My profile picture is one that I found on the web that is a 1917 and is the spitting image of his. I would love to find out more information about this model truck such as production figures or any other helpful advice.

Unfortunately, I am unable to post pictures of my neighbor's Maxwell because it is located a few hours away from me and I am unable to get to where it is.

The really cool thing is that my neighbor's last name just happens to be Maxwell! On the back of his truck, he had a wooden plaque made that reads "The Maxwell's 1917 Maxwell". I also had the pleasure of driving this truck through our local city parade last summer...what a blast!!!

Here's the picture I found on the internet...100% identical to my friend's truck.

1917MaxwellOneTon.jpg

Oh, I thought that the Maxwell Registry has been run by Tom Thoburn? Has he passed duties over to Vern Campbell? Only reason I ask is because I just found this out on the internet.

To be honest I don't know. When I started doing research on the internet 3 yrs ago for my Maxwell everyone said to contact Vern. He's the one that recorded my serial numbers,added my car to the list and sent me a copy of the Registry.

Howard Dennis

Fellows-- I believe Tom Thoburn passed away in 2004. He was ill but working on the Maxwell centennial celebration that was held on June 20-24 2004. Unfortunatly he was gone before he could see the fruits of this gathering that was a tribute to his life long passion for the Maxwell. A true gentleman. Vern Campbell did take over the Maxwell registry.---Bob

Bob, Thanks for clarifying that, Sorry to hear of his passing I know I've seen his name mentioned many times in my research.

Howard Dennis

This is good to know. I passed on the information to my neighbor so he can get in touch with him. I am not sure if he wants to reach him as a person to talk to in regards to selling his truck or to see what the value of it would be. Regardless of the reason for him contacting Vern, he gave me a picture to scan of his Maxwell so if anyone has any questions about it or any interest in it, please message me and I will tell you what I know about it.

Here's the picture that was taken about 3 years ago. It still looks the same and is running great as ever. My neighbor is in the passenger seat. His name is James Maxwell, just like his truck. :)

Maxwell_1.jpg

There is one at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, but you would not readilly reconize it at it has a plywood body built on it that served as an armored vehicle for the Black Baron's Hench Men in the show in years past. I had it running several years ago but it needed more work to be show worthy. Basically it is a chassies with the correct Maxwell engine, but the radiator and hood must have been missing as the radiator has been replaced with something much more modern. The engine cover is part of the plywood body. This link shows a photo. You would not know that it is a Maxwell unless you have worked on it. The piano truck next to it is a Packard. Dandy Dave!

Google Image Result for http://www.fotothing.com/photos/45d/45d333fa23ee05f30458245b9f52cbc4_974.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave
Add a link (see edit history)

It's impossible to say how many of any car or truck there are in the world. At most you can find out how many are registered, or how many are known to the collector's registry.

There could be others rotting away in barnyards or carefully stored someplace.

A few years ago the Elliot brothers of Newcastle Canada sold a couple of pre WW1 Indian motorcycles on Ebay. Ebay at first refused the ads because the bikes were completely unknown to the Indian clubs and experts. They assumed the ads were phony but they were not. The Elliots had owned the bikes for 50 years and had them restored by experts in the 80s. But since they never showed them and did not belong to any clubs, they were completely unknown except to a few local collectors.

That's a Maxwell?!?

Maxwell_armored.jpg

Yes it is. It even has Maxwell stamped in the pressed steel rear hubcaps. Like I said, you would not readily reconize it under the plywood Armored body. But underneath, believe me, it is a Maxwell. I am speakin of the Vehicle with the German Cross on the left. The piano truck on the right is a Packard. You would never know it unless you got under the hood. :D Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Ohhh Rockchester....Yes Boss.... :D Dandy Dave!

For those to young to know....

TV ACRES: Automobiles > Antique Cars > Maxwell (The Jack Benny Show)

Not to hijack a thread, but I have to mention (cuz I can be picky at times) that the car in the story is NOT a 1923 Maxwell, but is about a 1907 Maxwell. I HAVE seen his 1923 Maxwell and THAT is not it. I know....we cannot change the article now. I just needed to inform.

post-37352-143138144921_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138144925_thumb.jpg

Keiser and Dandy Dave, thank you for that little tidbit of history and no worries about hijacking the thread. If you were posting about a Metz or Dodge Brothers...that would be different. Thanks again!!

Oh, I almsot forgot, the Maxwell that my neighbor has was built and sold in Portland (has documentation to verify). Were there any other assembly plants around 1917 that produced Maxwell vehicles?