Question - 1953 Buick Roadmaster Wheels & Wire Hubcaps

Guest classicgarage

Guest classicgarage

Question - 1953 Buick Roadmaster Convertible: We are currently doing a complete body off restoration. What is the correct wheel and size? Plan on using the wire hubcap. We have a combination of wheels and are wanting to know what is correct. Any pictures would be great.

Thanks,

Brad

www.classicgaragellc.wordpress.com

Edited by classicgarage
updated (see edit history)

Don't believe everything in the Buick judging manuals. 1953 Buick Roadmaster Skylark wire wheels are 6.5" wide. A local club member tried using the 1953 wire WHEEL COVERS on his 1953 Buick Super stock wheels and they DID NOT fit. They stuck out somewhat. I gave him a set of steel rims off my 1952 Buick Estate wagon that I think were either 6.5" or 7.0" wide.....I don't remember....and they worked. Anyways, try your wire wheel covers on a couple of different widths and you will know what I'm talking about.

Getting back to the judging manuals........the correct tire size for the 1954 Skylark should be 7.60x15". This was an issue at the Buick Nationals in Colorado Springs last July.

Al Mack

"500 MILES WEST OF FLINT"

Once again, don't believe everything you read in the Buick judging manuals. If you look up the WHEELS AND TIRES SPECIFICATIONS in the 1952 Buick Shop Manual (6-2 SPECIFICATIONS) you will see that only the 40-series had a 15" x 6.00" wheel........the 50 & 70-series is listed as 15" x 6.50". The 1952 Shop Manual is used along with the 1953 Shop Manual unless superceded and noted in the 1953 Shop Manual.

You will also find this same information in the 1953 FACTS FOR BUICK SALESMEN on page 99 plus in other Buick literature.

Enough said.

Al Mack

"500 MILES WEST OF FLINT"

"Ask the man who owns one"

The wire wheel covers made for 1953 Buicks actually came in two different sizes; one for the series 40 Specials and one for the larger cars. The wire wheel covers for the Special had the Buick Crest on the center cap and they were about 1/4 inch shallower than the wire wheel covers for the larger series. This is because the wheels were different,; the Special used the narrower 15 X 6.00 wheels. Also, the larger series used a stylized V emblem to denote the V-8 engine.

Joe, BCA 33493