test abs system ?

Guest khend

is there ne test to find out why the abs light comes on ? rather than take to a repair shop r spend a ton of money ? the car is a 90 reatta . maybe a link to the code site r something ? not very good at this yet but im learning !!!!

Reatta Owners Journal - Reatta.net Brake TestReport your results back here and we will try to help diagnose your problems. If you will give detailed posts about your problems it will really help us help you.

Please add the model of your Reatta, (and any other relative information), to your signature line. It will make it easier for us to help you with answering your questions without repeatedly asking you about the Reatta you own.

Click "User CP" in the menu at the top of this page and scroll down to "Edit Signature"

Thanks!

I am no expert either, but I would start by reading thru the manual to find out what the resistance is at where the brake sensor lead connects inside the engine compartment. If it is outside the specs listed in the manual that is the one to start with.

More then likely it is either one or both of the front sensor leads.

I just went thru this. We tested the plug at the EBCM in the trunk and checked our work at the connections in the engine compartment and both tests indicated that both front wheel sensors were bad and after replacing them they were bad as the light promptly went out and stayed out.

As mentioned, we need more information:

- is it only the yellow ABS light or the ABS and the BRAKE (red) light ?

- WHEN does it come on ? (Within a few seconds of starting ? only when moving ?)

- Have you pulled the ABS codes ? (section 5E in the FSM, if you CAN'T pull the codes, that is a specific symptom) - have to jumper A-G (88) or A-H (89-90) on the ALDL and count the flashes of the yellow ABS light.

Of the seven tests, 1-6 are really of the boost system, only test 7 relates to the ABS.

This will get it started

sorry for not being more clear ! i edited my signature line to be more helpful ! here goes !!! it is only the yellow abs light n the center of the dash . it doesnt blink it comes on and stays on as soon as u start the car . the car is a 1990 that ive been working on slowly but surely . it has 120,000 miles on it n i bought it n a wrecked one (1989) for parts . i have changed out the steering wheel cause i liked the 89 style better but had to cut the air bag line to swap them out ! im pretty sure the abs light was on before this but now im clearing all my lights off the panel ! i do have another abs unit but not sure if that ones sensors for the tires r good . i hope i got it all for u to help . ty again for reading my post !!!!

Think the clue is that it comes on immediately and does not blink. Prolly not getting the thump in the pedal either. Usual cause of that is a bad ABS relay on the firewall & EBCM not getting power.

Should mention that if it has been unused for a long time, the valves may stick so I would drive carefully for a few miles it it just needs power.

Guest re-reatta

Khend,

My yellow ABS light has been on for an embarassing long time. I just replaced both relays today and the light went out right away. The relays I bought were Echlin AR174. Got them at NAPA for about $7.00 each. It's a cheap and easy place to start. GOOD LUCK

Kevin

sorry for not getting back sooner ! it was the sensor for the front wheels . took them off the wrecked car n problem seems to be solved . ty again for ur time !!!