1939 Buick Special restoration

39BuickEight

In this case, if you were to invert the whole '39 pump so the bowl points down the arm wouldn't contact the camshaft. That could be a problem. :):):)

The '38 had a bowl that points (hangs) down. I don't thick it makes that much difference in the pumps performance or effectiveness but it is easier to clean the crap/sediment out from the glass bowl of a '38 once it has been removed.

In the case of the '39, it is a bit of a bugger though, and messy, to get the crap out of the pump body.

Interestingly enough though, in the owners manual, (GMH Australia) it does show the fuel pump inverted but in this case it was just some boofhead didn't proof read it before the book was published and notice that the picture was up side down. :):):)

I have seem a few different "photos" in different manuals with them hanging down, although, like Danny said, it wouldn't contact the camshaft that way. I think the bigger 39's with the big engine did point down? Bob told me that, like a lot of things, this pump is a one year wonder. I really love learning about this stuff as I move along.

A beautiful job on the engine. The engine looks wonderful except for the hose clamps. If you ever take your car to an AACA National event they'll dock you for every one of those modern hose clamps. The correct clamps are available from Bob's Automobilia in California.

G'day Billy,

1) The first hole to the left of the distributor, mine has a t-type, brass, water cock. I found it on 2 of my engines. It's a bigger version of the one at the bottom of the radiator. I can take a pic if needed.

2) The hole under the distributor is a left over from '38. '38s had a little scaled plate that bolted on there for adjusting to different octanes.

3) The third is where the oil pressure line connects into for your oil pressure gauge.

Danny

• Like 1

Thanks Danny and Ben!

Matt, well, you can see we used uni-strut for the materials, which is incredibly strong. We weren't even going to put the braces on the bottom at first, but we had the welder out and had the material. That was probably a good idea. It seems to be holding up fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It just pushes in (see the pics and it becomes obvious). I've posted a few pics of the thing as sometimes parts maybe with/in the car somewhere but you don't recognise what it is. I've collected 5 '39 engines and none had the thing. It was also missing on my '38. It is supposed to be there.

Maybe there is someone out there that has a father with a friend that could knock up a die to stamp a few out. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's a bit of a non event piece but hey, if you can find one and get it, why not put in on. Since I got this one on ebay years ago I became a little curious about these and now always look to see if they are there when I look at other engines. I've seen a few engines and have only ever seen two others.

Danny

post-37069-143138573678_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138573683_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138573688_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138573691_thumb.jpg

I am thinking if the cover was on there the mice would have had a lot more trouble nesting in the flywheel cover pan :)

On the subject of keeping things out of the flywheel cover pan :

On the only complete and original engine I had, the one that had the timing point cover on it, it also had a sewn leather boot around the throw out lever. It was held into the bell housing by a square shaped spring clip and tied to the throw out lever. (I should find it and post a pic) Has anyone else ever had this on there '39 ?? I could never find anything relating to it in a parts list book. (Could just be blind)

Maybe it's just an enthusiastic Aussie's mod.

Anyone else have this or know of it ?????

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On the subject of keeping things out of the flywheel cover pan :

On the only complete and original engine I had, the one that had the timing point cover on it, it also had a sewn leather boot around the throw out lever. It was held into the bell housing by a square shaped spring clip and tied to the throw out lever. (I should find it and post a pic) Has anyone else ever had this on there '39 ?? I could never find anything relating to it in a parts list book. (Could just be blind)

Maybe it's just an enthusiastic Aussie's mod.

Anyone else have this or know of it ?????

Danny

Danny: Group 0.797 BOOT, Clutch Release Yoke 1306179 Fits 1939 All series. Other years used it as well but different part #

On a different question spark plug and valve cover acorn nuts are the same.

Your engine looks great! Some guys will use a small brush and paint the exposed surfaces of the valve cover, pushrod cover, and timing cover gaskets with the engine enamel to add to the factory authentic look as these gaskets would have been in place when the engine was sprayed. Keep those posts coming!

Looking good, Billy.

Is the exhaust manifold painted or coated?

Ben

painted--we used Cast Blast, a product Dad has used before that holds up extremely well:

Cast Blast -- Cast Iron Gray Spray Paint

and Dave, thanks for the info! Looks like I need to find 2 acorn nuts for the wire cover. The valve cover isn't really tight yet, but I can see your point about painting the edges of the gaskets.

mine has/had the boot on the throwout lever, but it is in pretty bad shape, seems they are original

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Danny: Group 0.797 BOOT, Clutch Release Yoke 1306179 Fits 1939 All series.

Thanks for the confirmation Dave. Out of the 5 accumulated engines I have, only one had the retaining spring and remnants of a boot.

It does look smick Billy. It's an exciting moment when that beast fires up for the first time. Keep up the good work.

Danny

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Update:

We rebuilt the wheel cylinders and master cylinder today. I like that they still say "Made in the USA" on them :). They were sandblasted, polished, and painted with the same cast iron paint we used on the exhaust manifold. Turned out perfect I think.

59a18eb58eece_12-11-11004.thumb.jpg.4fb2f25f8e559ee1afb910dd9447a67d.jpg

We are reusing the linings that were on there. The wear was very minimal. Of course the metal was sandblasted, polished, and painted.

12-11-11 005.jpg

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the interest!

Yesterday we turned the oil pump with a drill and we have good oil pressure, and the oil made it's way through the maze to the top end!

We have just been doing little things lately to get the engine ready to fire and working to get the brakes finished.

Guest lunchbox_xx

Hi new to the tread great work i just started redoing a 39 amd was hopeing u have pics and measurements for the core support or radiator support im missing mine and cant find one online thanks and keep up the great work