1939 Buick Special restoration

39BuickEight

Guest lunchbox_xx

Hi everyone i live i the frozen tundra of wisconsin well not to frozen yet lol i will put pics up of my beast when i figure out how it sucks on my phone lol but u can check out the build so far on youtube under lunchboxxx72 or on chevahaulic and his other builds and my hearse from winter 2010 i will do my best to get pics up this weekend

Hi new to the tread great work i just started redoing a 39 amd was hopeing u have pics and measurements for the core support or radiator support im missing mine and cant find one online thanks and keep up the great work

Tell me what exactly you need measurements of. I have it all apart right now.

Guest lunchbox_xx

Bill im looking for pics and or measurements from the core suppourt around the radiator the front sheet metal bolts to it for strength it look to be a horse shoe hoop from one pic i saw but cant make out if there is anything holding the top of the nose on the car from the radiator or some other brackets that help hold front fenders and top of hood thanks

Bill im looking for pics and or measurements from the core support around the radiator the front sheet metal bolts to it for strength it look to be a horse shoe hoop from one pic i saw but cant make out if there is anything holding the top of the nose on the car from the radiator or some other brackets that help hold front fenders and top of hood thanks
You would be better to start a new thread with your questions

Guest lunchbox_xx

Danny Yes that is what im looking for a few pics and mesurments i will trry starting a new tread so we dont use this one thanks for the help:D

• 1 month later...

exhaust fits (thanks to Classic Exhaust up in Ohio), though the rear muffler bracket does not line up at all (needs to be at an angle to hit the holes in the frame), anyone know if there is another one and maybe I was sent the wrong one? I need to call Bob's Monday and ask about it. We can make it work if we need to:

59a194c9a656d_2-17-12003.thumb.jpg.459fcbfee755e91f2a4091263f2a5593.jpg59a194c2907cf_2-17-12002.thumb.jpg.73726f5961715e8cd77530581715b362.jpg59a194bde0f49_2-17-12001.thumb.jpg.a70af23b63e40fef529aaf89fcb52fff.jpg59a194b86900f_2-17-12004.thumb.jpg.d167f617498f1195d0d79c0aae9b4437.jpg

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Your car is looking good, I just got my project this past weekend and I am more than ready to start on it. I am going to try to get some more pictures of it soon but I took this one with my phone. The body, chrome, floors, and everything else on this car are in really good shape. Almost NO rust at all, just a little spot on the bottom at the back. http://forums.aaca.org/members/39buck/albums/my-39-buick/8105-427202-241171669304093-100002337865668-531080-203936253-n.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest SteveAS

I just read through this whole thread and learned a lot (including to respect 39BuickEight's work!). Thanks for taking the time to document this restoration. Any recent progress?

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow lately (built a house this summer among other things)

Today we did some sandblasting on the body. Sandblasting is the current stage of the project (other than tidying up the engine), but we just had the hottest July ever. We are not going to do it in 100 degree weather. :D

Thanks for checking on my progress!

• 2 months later...

Reminds me of 1941, when Buick factory shipped a complete running roller to Dad's dealership so has to show off the BIG X frame. It had an orange crate type seat to sit on. I loved that roller, I was only 5 at the time. Later the body was sent to finish and sell.

Looking good, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy

What a way to finish the day. First class Billy !!! Might just have to go fire mine up now I'm all jealous.

Reminds me of 1941, when Buick factory shipped a complete running roller to Dad's dealership so has to show off the BIG X frame. It had an orange crate type seat to sit on. I loved that roller, I was only 5 at the time. Later the body was sent to finish and sell.

Looking good, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy

I remember when I took mine for a spin around the local back streets at the stage you're at now with only a milk crate strapped on to sit on. I ran out of fuel and some geezer came out yelling at me "Don't you dump that thing in front of my house".

Danny

Edited by danhar1960 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Over the past month while I have been at the hospital with our new daughter (premature, but doing good so far), Dad has been working on a pseudo-sandblasting/body shop booth in his shop. This way we can do sandblasting and body work indoors without creating too much of a mess on the rest of the stuff in there. Looks great IMO:

IMG_3473.thumb.JPG.ec888acea2f630dabc94a57222710da0.JPGIMG_3474.thumb.JPG.75396b1d6039636e86f0494e3d7ecc6f.JPG

Guest PortCity PanHead

Looks real slick, Billy! I look forward to having the space to pull my whole 39 Chevy apart sometime down the road. For now, I'm just tickled pink to have a little garage and a beautiful original machine that will soon be road worthy! Did you prime the various body panels--fenders, hood, etc--yourself? What kind of primer/delivery system did you use?

My nieces were both born over a month premature; they're 3 and 6 now and both absolute spitfires!

-Blake

Edited by PortCity PanHead (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Guest Doug Burton

Nice work Billy. I just finished reading the entire thread. You are doing what I would have liked to have done to this car, but I didn't have the time or money. I first saw this car not too long after the person you bought it from (Jim), towed it back to his home in Lexington. Jim is my brother-in-law and is the person responsible for helping me get my '61 LeSabre home from near North Dakota.

Looking forward to more whenever you the have time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes, and no we don't have welding experience. Should be fun! Just another learning experience. :P
Practice welding on something else: not the Buick. Old cars have thicker metal than new (easier to weld). TIG welding is not that hard. Forming the metal shape is another matter:- thats where the skill is.

Guest Grant Magrath

You know, I don't come here nearly enough! Looking good Billy! And looking familiar with all those holes! The good news is there should be patch panels you can weld in, already formed. My hat's off to you for doing the body work yourself! Give me fibreglass any day!

Cheers

Grant