1930 model 47 door locks

Dwight Romberger

Ok, I told you it was a dumb question. The driver's door has the little locking switch like the rear doors. I assumed the driver's door would have the keyed lock not the passenger door. Duh.

Thanks, Stuart

Usually, the passenger side door has the key lock. That supposedly prevented you from getting run over as you unlocked/entered the car.

Guest jules greenway

Hi Dwight

I have the same problem on the '31 90, toggle locks on Driver's and rear doors, but locking exterior handle missing from Passenger door! I bought one off ebay (wonderful source of bits) but it turned out to be the wrong one! maybe it would fit your 47? basically it's slightly too small for the 90 (all sorts of parts are larger on the larger models!) I can get a photo of it in a few days time

regards

Jules

Yes, I had the same confusion as Dwight. In my car someone has placed the keyed lock handle on the drivers side and the one without a key on the passenger side making it impossible to lock the car. Actually mine is completely missing the locking cylinder in the one with the keyed lock but that is a different issue. Bobs has keyed locks listed for the 1929 and 1931 Buick's, but for some reason the 1930 is skipped. Wile not completely original, I will be looking for locking handles on both sides, although this would imply carrying around an additional key. So totaling things up that would mean 4 separate keys for the car; an ignition key, 2 keys for the doors and another for the trunk.

Thanks,

Michael O'Docharty

1930 Buick Model 68

It is interesting that so many of these locking handles are missing the lock cylinder. My 30-68 is missing the cylinder for both the door and trunk handles. Perhaps once the key went missing it was just cheaper to remove the cylinder altogether than have a new key made for it. I'm not really sure what the locksmith situation was like in 1930.

Michael

Edited by michaelod
Fix text (see edit history)

If you come up with the lock cylinders, Jesser's keys can change the cylinders to work off of the same key. The key blanks do need to be the same type. They can provide the correct key blanks also.

I may have some 32 Buick handles with key locks if they would work for you.

Bob

Jules,

You mentioned in your previous post that the handle you got from eBay was to small for your 31-90 series. In which dimension was it to small? Would that be in the length or diameter of the shaft? The reason I ask is that my 30-68 is the large series car and is comparable to your 31-90; the 60 series from 1930 actually shares many body parts with the 90 series from 1931.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Dwight was generous enough to supply me with a locking handle and I was able to test my theory about installing locking handles on both sides of the car. As it turns out, the latch mechanism on the drivers side (at least on my 30-68) is constructed differently internally from the passenger side and while the lock works fine on the passenger side, it has absolutely no effect on the drivers side. Thus the drivers side cannot be locked from the outside regardless of the position of the key.

I guess that lays that bright idea to rest...

Jules,

Is your car an export model and thus RHD? If so is it possible that you tried your handle on our (LHD) drivers side of the car rather than the passenger? If that were the case the symptoms would be exactly the same as those I encountered and it would seem the handle is to short when in fact it was not. I don't know if you have a car that is RHD or LHD and if that even makes a difference, but I would try it on both sides just to be sure.

Just a thought.

Thanks,