How to sell a 1916 Dodge Brothers Touring???

Guest dalbrightsmith

Guest dalbrightsmith

I have a 1916 Dodge Brothers Touring car that used to belong to my dad, Rich Albright. It's an absolutely beautiful car in unbelievably good condition - in fact, my understanding is that it was a Nationals Grand Champion and also won 1st place several times at local meets. I don't have the specific information as to which championship awards it won, but my mother is looking for that information for me...

Unfortunately, I've run into some financial problems recently and will have to sell the car in the near future. However, I have NO idea where to begin or how much to ask for it.

Could anybody give me some ideas as to where to start? I should probably mention that I also have several boxes of parts to go with it - the car itself is in perfect condition and probably doesn't need parts at all, but my dad was an avid collector and just didn't want to pass up the chance to buy parts, so he stock-piled all sorts of miscellaneous items for future use...

Any advice or help anyone can give me would be very much appreciated!

Several of us on this forum had met your parents in Kokomo, Ind. when they bought this car. The previous owner and the car are well known in the Dodge Brothers circle. I am truely sorry for your loss. Your parents had plans to bring the car to Hershey a few years ago, your father was really looking forward to showing the car. I would suggest contacting the editor of the DBC newsletter to place the car in the classified section. If you do not have contact information I can help you with that. Either PM me or my email is in my profile. Anyone looking for a '16 Dodge Brothers, this is probably the most real one out there.

Guest dalbrightsmith

Thank you so much for your reply, and more particularly, for your kind remembrance about my parents. We lost my dad very suddenly in December, which has been very difficult for all of us.

I'm absolutely devastated that I have to sell this car - it was my dad's favorite - but I'm preparing to relocate out-of-state and cannot take it with me anyway...

I'd be very grateful if you could send me the contact information you mentioned, and if you have any additional information you could share, it would be very much appreciated. My email address is dalbright.smith@yahoo.com

Thanks again!

Donna Albright-Smith

Donna,

I'm also sorry for your loss. I was at Kokomo that year and saw your dad's 16 Touring.

If my memory serves me correctly it is a very nice car. It's to bad you can't keep it and have to sell it. Maybe another club member would be interested. Good luck and again I'm sorry for your loss and my prayers are with you.

Joe C. Dodge Brothers Club

Wow, Greasyguy, that was an interesting post. At first, I thought it was tongue in cheek, and that you were teasing about the people in the club, and then you were going to make an offer to "take it off her hands." Then, it got nasty.

Really no need for that here.

I've owned 4 early Dodges, a 20 touring, a 22 sedan, a 24 touring, and a 25 coupe. I drove the coupe and 24 touring on many tours, back in the old days (60's and 70's) when tours were slow and easy. I agree that, on a tour with 1960 something V8gomobiles that go Interstate speeds, they wouldn't be as much fun. But, a Dodge is a good, honest car, and as reliable as anything out there.

I don't belong to the DB club, but wonder if you are mistaking enthusiasm for a particular make car for personal criticism. Any car is a hunk of steel, wood, rubber, leather, paint; it's not a personal attack if someone states that, gee, this leather is the wrong grain, or gosh, this sure isn't the right color for this car.

I hope you are enjoying some other old car, would be interested to know where your pleasure in the hobby might be, as it obviously isn't in the DB camp.

I think you are making the right decision to sell the car, Donna.

Dodge Bros. cars really aren't that much fun because they're too slow to drive very much on the public roads, so they wind up being an objet d'art that you just sit around and look at, but can't do too much with.

Also, D.B. people tend to be a rather strange bunch, and I don't think you'd like getting to know them very much. They are a very tightly-knit group that insists that you share their opinions on every subject, and who really aren't too smart, but if you ever disagree with them, or point out some of their failings or mistakes (for example, that reading their illiterate posts hurts your brain), they ostracize you because they are extremely insecure. And if you ever met them in person, you'd understand why they're so insecure.

I have never figured out why so many D.B. people simply can't spell, punctuate, don't know elementary grammar and can't write in proper sentences. So ask yourself: do you normally associate with people who are functionally illiterate, and who get extremely angry when you mention that they need to work on their writing, spelling, punctuation and grammar? I doubt it. I certainly don't.

They all take their cars 'WAY too seriously and this becomes rather irritating after awhile. They will stand around and criticize your car for hours if even the slightest thing about it is incorrect, and they spend MUCH more than the car is worth in order to over-restore their cars. This is how they gain status within the group.

I'll never forget when I first joined the national D.B. club. I had bought a nicely-preserved 4-cyl. model and had done what I thought was a fairly nice restoration on it, keeping it as stock as possible, but the national club refused to list it as "restored" because they didn't think it was restored well enough (i.e., it hadn't received a $50,000 over-restoration by a professional shop). That was my first taste of the D.B. version of "friendliness".

Also, there is no market for cars like these, and no one is willing to pay very much for them, which is not surprising because you really can't drive them too much and your fellow D.B. owners aren't too friendly unless you are part of their hallelujah chorus. Certainly nobody would want to buy a D.B. car for the camaraderie they might have with their fellow D.B. owners, assuming they checked the group out beforehand.

And it is extremely ironic, to say the least, how they decry people who turn their D.B.s into street rods when the D.B. people themselves have made it such an unattractive proposition to keep the car stock.

If you do get an older car, I would suggest that you get a different make than D.B. and check the ownership group out carefully first to see if they are normal people or just plain weird.

I take TOTAL OFFENSE to these statements, especially since you misspelled words yourself. Everyone I have ever met in the Dodge Brothers Club has been generous and kind and non-critical. Sounds as if you had a bad experience, but don't blame all of us "Dodge Brothers" for that.

Greasyguy/Grease Monkey/Whatever . . .

Your insulting rant does not deserve a response, but as a victim of your smear, I feel compelled to post my disagreement with your judgments and opinions. Since you’ve set the tone, I’ll reply with the same bluntness. In my opinion, the old car hobby and this forum are ill served by the gratuitous arrogance and insults of your post. Like you, I have some suggestions:

1) Avoid this forum, if you are bothered by DB cars that aren’t “fun” or by DB people you consider to be a “strange bunch,” “not too smart,” “extremely insecure,” who “can’t spell,” and who you suggest are “just plain weird.”

2) Look closely in the mirror before you again condemn an entire group of people you do not

know.

3) Consider finding yourself another hobby, about which you are better informed and less

conflicted.

4) Consider therapy for yourself. Please!

You know, most forums have their nattering nabobs of negativity. I frequent another where the agreed solution is "Don't feed the trolls." It takes two to tangle, so just ignore a pest.

Donna, my wife lost both her parents this year, and my 90-year-old parents are in fragile health, so we know your pain. I'm sure all of the true Brothers wish you a quick and satisfying resolve.

I must at least add to "greasyguy"...you are correct and I do apologize about saying that you misspelled words. I read your post again and realized I was wrong. I do stand by the rest of what I said, though.

I am sitting here trying my hardest to come up with something intelligent and well thought out to add to this post but all I can come up with is what a DILDO.

No disrespect Donna

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Donna: Sorry that you have subjected to this person but we have forgotten to answer your question. In todays economy the sale of antique cars is down. I believe if you can hold on to it for another six months you will get a better price. If not the first place you should try and sell it is the Dodge Brothers Club because it has people who enjoy Dodges. The next place to sell your car would be Hemmings Motor News which has been around since the 1950"s and is still well written although it now seems to have more muscle cars and rods then before. You can also sell it through the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) or Horseless Carriage Club (HCCA).

If you do keep it and would like assistance there are many Dodge Club members who will go out of there way to help you. If you notice my signature line I am one of those who owns a Dodge but I also own quite a few different cars. As in any club or business there are fringe people who like to complain but never help. I just finish getting a 1908 Maxwell running for a 93 year old gentleman and it was fun so please disregard the fringe people as this forum is usually not a side show. If I can help feel free to send me a PM or post the question in this forum.

Please have a Merry Christmas and my thoughts and condolences are with you.

Donna,

It might be an idea to advertise the Dodge on Pre War Car: All about Antique, Vintage, Prewar Cars and For Sale

The first listing with photographs is free. I think Jan Arnett's advice is spot on , if you are able to, start advertising in April/May

This site is international, given the age of the car, there will be a lot of interest in the UK and Europe

Guest oldodgeboys

Although I don't like eBay's format or limitations, you just cant beat it for exposure. Listing the car on eBay will expose it to more people looking for this type of car then any other media.

Although I don't like eBay's format or limitations, you just cant beat it for exposure. Listing the car on eBay will expose it to more people looking for this type of car then any other media.

I totally agree on that one.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dalbrightsmith

I truly appreciate the kind thoughts and warm responses.

I hesitate to even acknowledge the individual who posted the criticism of Dodge Brothers enthusiasts, but I do want to express my gratitude for everyone else's support.

I'm still looking for a good home for the 1916. Please feel welcome to call or write if interested.

Thanks again,

Donna

Whether you want to acknowledge my posts (since deleted by the DB Thought Police) or not, Donna, the fact remains: sell your Dodge Bros. and don't look back! Any effort that you put into this group, or into DB cars, will be a total waste of time.

Why don't you just go away? You have NOTHING to add to this or any other AACA forum.

Thought Police? I haven't seen much thought in your posts, only anger, sour grapes, and judgmental projection of your own demons. They don't belong here. Therapy can help, really! Please get lost, for the good of everyone.