buick5563

55 Century Convertible project

The guy in the middle looks familiar...

Another happy year with the projects.

Merry Christmas from the Middletons. (2011)

(note Mexican blanket on front seat!)

post-32260-143138776339_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick5563
Added blanky (see edit history)

Back to the convertible project.

I have been able to work a bit on getting the doors sanded, but before I started trying to fit them, I had to rebuild the hinges. At some point they had new bushings installed. I could tell because they were the later style plastic bushings. Also, the top hinge pins on both sides were bent. I got that all sorted out.

Next was the issue of the hole that was cut for the power window wiring harness that went through the door jambs. I believe that either: the Flint assembly plant (where all of the convertibles were built) was sloppy, or that the 55's were rolling off the floor so fast that they had to rush cutting the holes.

The first picture I attached is of the wagon (green painted door jamb photo). The hole appears to have been made by first drilling two holes, then joining them with straight cuts. That looks good.

The next picture is the convertible (grey primer). I have seen many pictures of this style of torch cutting, even on restored cars, which is why I believe it was lazy or rushed assembly.

Even though it IS correct, I am not going to let it slide.

SOOOO...

Picture three is after I welded, sanded, and primed (red color). Now it is ready for filling and paint.

Once again, the iphone wants to put pics sideways. GD.

post-32260-143138813967_thumb.jpg

post-32260-143138813985_thumb.jpg

post-32260-1431388140_thumb.jpg

Looking good Mike! Glad you are back to your convertible. Seems like forever since you posted about working on it. Hope all is well. Look forward to the updates. Matt

Ahh yes my favorite program is back on with new episodes!

I'm going to go back from the start and enjoy the show marathon to get caught up again....I can't wait until the engine episodes come up again!

......I need me some popcorn!

NOTE TO BCA JUDGES: Please do not deduct points for unbutchering sloppy factory work. These are not Corvettes. Our standards are much higher.

Ahh yes my favorite program is back on with new episodes!

I'm going to go back from the start and enjoy the show marathon to get caught up again....I can't wait until the engine episodes come up again!

......I need me some popcorn!

Enjoy the marathon, Bob.

I think season three should be even better than season 1 & 2. Character development will continue, and the plot will take new turns. Unfortunately the shows budget was reduced from season one, but that should inspire more creativity.

Got the passenger door in epoxy primer to guard against rust.

Only one small pinhole, this door is in great shape!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Ahh yes the expected plot change.....nice! popcorm1.gif

...........btw, nice to see some grass. It's been a while for me.

Sweet! I hope my doors are nearly as rust free as that one...I'm tired of repairing rust.

I hope so too Adam. You deserve a break from the welder.

You can see the little rust hole in the sanded door picture above (lower right part of the pic). I used liquid stripper first then a 80 grit on my random orbital sander. I plan on using POR 15 on the inside of the doors.

So do you just try and sand the inside by hand the best you can and then cover the rest? Mine has some of that tar stuff that glued the sound pad in there. Also what are the plans for the sound insulation?

Not sure Bob. I was originally going to try and spray Ospho (phosphoric acid) to somehow get in the grooves, but I read the POR 15 label and it said it wouldn't stick well to that. The main place I need to protect is the bottom of the inside of the door, and maybe 4-6" up the sides. The guys who did my Special didn't do any of this and the doors are holding up fine. I also did not use any sound deadener on the doors (of my Special). I've never noticed any "thudiness".

Anybody else have ideas about the inner door treatment?

Mike , I used my little tank sand blaster inside the door and was able to blast 99% of the rust away. I then used a small hobby spray gun. (Cheap air brush) and used DP40 epoxy primer on the inside. I gave it several thick coats. Just my 2 cents worth. Mud

Mike, I used the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating on the inside of my doors. Went on well and with the nozzle to get into tight areas it allows you to fully coat everything inside the door (minus the internal guts). It is a zinc chromate based coating, similar to what the government uses on military vehicles / aircraft. I used about 1 can per door on my car. Take a look at it. Might be a bit pricey at $20 can, but hey, if you don't have to worry about the inner door for the rest of the time that you have the car, it is worth it.

Thanks Mud and Jim.

I'll let y'all know how I proceed. I need to get the other door sanded and primed, then fit the doors.

....and as we all know, I will be keeping this car on the carport and driving it to the mall in the sleet and slush.

Mike,

I am just blowing out the inside of my doors, making sure the drain holes are open and painting/repainting the inside and lower inside 4-6" of the doors with Miracle Paint or POR 15. I also will be painting the underside of all door and fender extensions on my car. Better than undercoating. But, my cars just gonna be a driver for me. Not a show car. Matt