sluggish / missing at start up?

Guest 1950SuperPDX

Guest 1950SuperPDX

So as most of you know I now have a 1950 Buick Super. Its a really great car. Anyway here's the deal.

Did new plugs, coil, condenser, oil change, and new tranny fluid.

We adjusted the carb also. Its a Carter, 2bl. and was rebuilt just a couple years ago. It seems to be functioning just fine. (looked down in it with a flash light and both pumps are pumping gas into the carb)

Here's the deal. From a dead stop in Drive it acts like it has a load, or is fluttering a little and acting like it doesn't have full power. (i also redid all the vacuum lines so they're fine) If you really push it, it gets up a goes like a bat out of hell, but if you just barley give it gas the first 5 seconds of acceleration is when it does this kinda sluggish / skipping thing.

Any suggestions? or advice?

Thanks!

Shaun

Shaun,

I have the same exact problem with a 1937 Special that I am working on. I think the problem is in the carburetor. I am going to take it apart, clean it out, and rebuild it this week, and will let you know what the result is when I get it back together. I'd be willing to bet that one of your internal carburetor passages is blocked with crud.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Guest 1950SuperPDX

UPDATE: Took the Valvoline VR1 20w-50 out and put in straight 30w and that helped ALOT! Its what its ran on its whole life. So I'm just gonna keep it that way. Also re-adjusted the carb and its running just perfect.