Sign in to follow this  
mikhett

54 mercury gas tank.Where to buy?

I just dropped my tank and it was rotted around the sending unit area.Will a 54 ford fit? Are they being repo'ed? Thanks Mike

I asked a similar question several weeks ago. After much research I have come to the conclusion a 54 merc gas tank is not being reproduced. I have been told a 54 ford will fit with mods and so will a 56 ford with mods. Both are 17 gal tanks and the merc is 19 gal. I presume your talking about a 2 dr htp.

It was suggested I take mine to a radiator shop that repairs tanks. Sure enough I found one that goes over the tank, cleans it, repairs it, and epoxies the inside. All for around $200. Mines is being done now.

You might try "The Big M" wrecking yard in Williams, California. They are all Mercury all of the time!

Mikhett,

You might question this, but about five years ago I needed a new tank for my 56' Chevy & I went to Auto Zone, much to my amazement I had a repo tank in about 7 days & very reasonable....go figure...:)

Lee (Sacemoi)

I think I've found a company that will start manufacturing new exact repro's for 54

Mercurys. Production and tooling time could take up to a year. I'll keep interested parties informed