1930 Torque Tube Boot Question

michaelod

Hello all,

I am currently preparing to get my 1930 Model 68 running after sitting for about 4 years and notice that I have a leather boot/gasket attached by wire on the end of the torque tube that has rotted out. Could someone tell me what the purpose of this boot is? The area it encompasses appears to be sealed so I am trying to figure out what this does. I believe I could make a new one out of neoprene but I am still curious what this thing does.

Thanks,

Michael O'Docharty

post-63406-143138139201_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that description Fred. The entire area from the transmission back was saturated in a heavy layer of grease/oil/crud so it appears something back there is leaking. I am cleaning up the area pretty well and once I get this thing running I will have a better chance of determining what is leaking.

Michael

Guest jules greenway

Michael

I have just replaced the same boot on the '31 90 It's worth pointing out that a small amount of transmission oil is supposed to come thru to lubricate the Universal Ball Joint so it will always be covered in oil and does not mean it is a leak which needs attention (see page 51 of '31 Specifications and Adjustments)

regards

Jules

• 6 months later...
Guest sndtubes

My torque tube seal apparently leaks like crazy. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? The oil from the transmission runs down the tube into the differential at a pretty quick rate. It's a real pain to have to keep filling the transmission and draining the differential. I'm worried about this one......

There are no seals. There is a bushing in the Torque ball that has a groove cut in it to pump any oil that tries to leak out at the U joint. If you have a lot of oil getting into the differential drive shaft tube, I suspect the bushing is worn in the torque ball. Oil needs to get through the transmission rear bearing to lubricate the u joint and the torque ball. there is a hole in the bottom of the rear bearing housing to allow excess oil to return to the transmission. This could be blocked? The Torque ball has no seals and is shimmed to fit the rear bearing housing and the torque ball retaining plate. If the leather boot has been damaged, it will allow dirt into the metal surfaces and the torque ball, rear bearing housing and retainer plate can be worn to cause excess leakage out the leather boot. This leaking oil would not get into the drive shaft tube. It will just leak all along the underside of the car. All 3 parts need repairs if the leakage is to be controlled. Some oil will always seep out onto the leather boot even with new parts and proper shimming per Specs and Adjustments manual.

Bob Engle