69 wheels on a 63

petelempert

I know I should know this answer by now...but frankly the whole road wheels thing confuses me. I guy is trying to sell me...for really cheap...a clean set of factory road wheels off a totaled 69 Riv. They're really nice. He says they'll fit my 63. I don't thing they'll clear the brakes in front. What's the official ROA answer? Thx PRL

PRL,

I have 69 Wildcat Wheels on my 63 Riviera, but they are not a bolt on. I machined up a set of 1/4 inch spacers to mount on the drums. I left the registration rings in place on the wheels as I thought if I ever changed the wheels, the next owner could have the wheels and spacers and they could do what they wished. With the spacers installed I have had zero issues with the back spacing difference between the the 69 to 63 wheel swap.

I also swapped out the left side, left hand thread wheel studs so that the chrome acorn style nuts would work. So it is possible and not all that difficult to do and I really like the looks of thse wheels on a 63, even though technically they are not "correct!"

HTH,

Tim

PRL,

I made mine because I didn't want a lot of thickness that would move the wheel away from the drum farther than it needed to be. The rear ones are simple and straight forward, the fronts need to have the lugnut holes centered and also have to have three holes to clear the rivets that hold the hub to the drum. I used a hole saw, drill press and a brake lathe to make mine and it took me about an hour each. It's cold in Minnesota in the winter so we have a lot of time!

Tim

PRL,

I put a set of '67 wheels on my '63 in 1987, and they've been on it ever since. I chose to take a chisel to the register rings and remove them. I mount the wheels flush against the brake drum/hub. In all this time, I've never experienced one problem with anything.

Ed

Edited by RivNut
spelling (see edit history)

PRL,

No problem taking the ring out - they bolt up flush to the brake drum and clear all the rivet heads that hold the drum to the hub. The conical taper on the lug nuts centers them and trues them on the lug bolts. They run straight and true on a modern wheel balancer and balance nicely.

The wheels that were built for the 71 and later Rivieras didn't have a register ring in them. The Buick rally wheels that were on my 70 Skylark (4.75" bolt circle) didn't have a register ring in them either.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Ed-I finally got the 69 wheels, they were just too good a deal. Now that I see them off the car, I understand the whole register ring thing. Based you last message, if I chisel off the ring and grind down the welds they should work right? I think I'd rather avoid any spacers. Any advice on how you removed them without damaging the wheel? PRL

Pete,

I kept the chisel sharp and had a four pound hammer. It's been a long time since I did it but I remember that it took a while but pretty soon I figured out where to place the chisel and at what angle to go after the weld. If I rember correctly, they're just spot welded in. My rings came out cleanly enough that I didn't have to grind down the welds. I must have put 40,000 miles on the car with the wheels like this and never encountered any problems. I did purchase a set of solid acorn nuts because the originals that were on the donor car had the thin stainless cap over an odd sized nut. At the time I did this I could find left hand thread acorn nuts. I don't know if there are any out there now. I'll do a google search and see what I can find.

Ed

I just removed the register rings on the 69 wheels I plan to put on my 63. Along the way, I learned something I thought might be helpful to others trying the same task. I tried using a chisel and hammer, but they put up a really good fight. After about 45 minutes of pounding, I came up with another way. I took a Sawzall with a steel cutting blade and made five cuts, roughly between each spoke. Then I turned the wheel over and used the chisel. Each piece came out with just one hit and left virtually no weld to grind off. When in doubt, saw it out. PRL