Hydralic vs. Mechanical lifter cams

Guest flathead_jr

Guest flathead_jr

I was having a conversation the other day with one of the local gear heads, and we were discussing the possibility of there being a difference between a solid lifter cam vs. a hydralic lifter cam in the V-12. I thought that maybe they used the same camshaft for the life of the production of the V-12, but I wasn't sure of this. Anyone have any knowledge of this, and is there a difference? Also when removing the intake manifold, how do you remove the oil indicator without cutting the wire?

Guest frenchy dehoux

The cam use for the hydraulic lifters is different than the one use for the solid lifter . The way you can tell is the lobes on the hydraulic cam are a bit more rounder at the high peak than the one on the solid cam as it has a sharper peak. If you want you can call me on my cell phone and I will help you with this one. Also if you are wanting to remove the intake manifold removing the oil float button you need to unscrew it as it is threaded on the end of the rod.

Good luck

Frenchy

Cell # ( 602 ) 7231047

The camshafts used in the V12's are really no different that those used in other cars. The early ( '36-'37) engines had cams with non adjustable ( solid) tappets while the '38 to '48 engines were equipped with hydraulic lifters. The cams for the hydraulic lifters were ground without any clearance ramps while the cams for the non adjustable tappets were ground with clearance ramps. The clearance ramps allowed the non adjuastable ( solid) tappets to run quiet. The absence of clearance ramps on the hydraulic cam allowed the cam to "slap" the lifter which activated it's pumping action. The cam "specs" remained pretty much the same for the '36 to '39 engines but were changed in 1940.

The little round button on the end of the oil level un-screws when removing the intake manifold.

Guest flathead_jr

I'll have to check out that oil float button when I get some time again. Also I had seen somewhere in the forum someone had the cam reground, how much could I expect to gain with a better grind. Yes I know the V-12 has restrictions, I would just like to make a few improvements. Maybe the wrong place to ask this question, but here in a few months I will want to start my search for another car. The 2 that I am keeping an open mind for, is either a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr fordor, and the one that seems to be growing on me would be a 1946-48 Lincoln (Zephyr styling) coupe. I don't want a restored car, just a good complete restorable, everything there car, I do all my autobody, and mechanicals myself. Whats out there these days for these types of cars?

Guest flathead_jr

My local machinist can sent the cam off for a regrind, and to have the lifters re-surfaced, now I just need to know what would be an ideal cam grind for a boost in performance as I will be building my own version of the hot rod Lincoln. Also I really don't want to use my stock coil on this set up, I want to use an adapter for use of a conventional coil(s), any source on one of those?

Guest DADDIO65

Why not use your stock coil?? They can be rebuilt to have just as hot of spark as a aftermarket hang on... Skip Haney in Florida, and Jake Flemming in Texas both do a great job on making those coils work well... just a thought for you...

Flathead Jr, Bear in mind that the post war Lincolns are about 500 lbs heavier that the '39's so they are lugging around some extra pounds. As far as the cam goes I would talk directly with the guys at Delta and let them help with a grind selection for what you have in mind. I haven't fired up the rebuilt 12 with the Isky 77B grind yet but was assured by Delta that the idle was very little affected. This was confirmed by the flathead V8 guys. Also have a Winfield R-1 grind in another rebuilt engine but it hasn't been installed yet so no report. It too, is supposed to idle well.

Skip Haney does a nice job juicing up the V12 coils and they do make a difference...hotter spark.

Guest flathead_jr

How much were they charging for the re-grind, also did you have your lifters resurfaced as well? I'll have to call them, and see what kind of information they do have. As for the coil adaptor, I just would like to try something different, I do have a couple of stock coils and I will probably have one of them redone, but for now I'd like to go the other direction to see what happens. Right now I don't have a car for the engine, but plan on building either a 32 Ford roadster, or t-bucket of some sort.