timing trouble

Guest mena

Hey folks.

Having a little trouble with my 25 chandler 6 cyl. I am setting valve timing. When I align the timing marks on the crank shaft, and cam shaft gears, the #1 piston is at TDC, and the valves are closed. The problem is that it is on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. I've never seen this before. Can u tell me if his is normal for a chandler.

Thanks

Mena

Guest WKnighter

At this position your distributor rotor should be pointing 180 deg. out. If you rotate your crank one full turn , again your #1 piston will be at top dead center , your cam mark should align, and your rotor should point to the #1 post on your dist. cap and you do not have a timing problem. Larry

I cant quite grasp what you are telling us, if the cylinder you refer to is on exhaust stroke then the inlet valve should just be opening and the exhaust valve just closing as the piston reaches top dead centre.

You state that both valves are closed which would indicate you are top dead centre of compression stoke, so what is making you think its on exhaust stroke ?

• 2 months later...

Hi :

been away for awhile. Let me try to restate the problem.

When locating the piston at TDC. with both valves closed, on the compression stroke, the timing mark on the camshaft is 180 degrees off. Now if I rotate the crankshaft 1 rotation, the timing marks will align, but the exhaust valve is just closing and the intake is just opening.

I have timed many engines in my time, but this is a first for me. By the way, the engine runs fine. I'm gessing its a mismarked gear. thanks for the input though. Mena