chandler valve timing

Guest mena

help please

I am setting the valve timing on my 25 chandler 6 cyl. when I align the timing marks on the two gears, the piston is not at TDC. I have never seen this before is this normal

thx

Mena

i mis spoke. The piston is at TDC but on the exhaust stroke not the compression stroke. does anyone know if that is the way that chandler designed it

I would ask which piston are you referring to? In a six cylinder there will always be two pistons in the same position due to the crank shaft arrangement. So one will be on the exhaust stroke TDC while the other is on the power stroke TDC. So you just make sure you are timed off the piston on power stroke. (You could just as easily set the timing marks 180 degrees from where they are now and wire the spark plugs accordingly from the piston on the power stroke and the engine will run just the same.) Also what you think is number 1 may be considered #6 by the manufacturer. At any rate if you align the marks as is you just wire the mageto or the distributor according to the firing order starting with the cylinder on TDC for the power stroke. This is engine 101. (ha):D

To set the valve timing on 1925 Chandler, which would be 32-A or 33, set exhaust valve clearance at 4thou. (#1 Cylinder). This valve should be just closed with six teeth on the flywheel after the mark D.C.-1-6 past the indicator in the flywheel housing. Then reset clearance to 6thou exhaust, 4thou inlet. It would be interesting to know the other valve timing points, but you might guess that Chandler had reasonable valve overlap for the era.

Guest B1rdman

Not a problem in my mind.

the compression and the exaust stroke will both be to tdc, piston up

the cam turns 1 revolution to ever 2 of the crank shaft.

just be sure when the dist is set that it points to number one when it is

at the top of stroke tdc, turn engine 1 revolutio and you should have all

valves on number 1 closed and piston at the top--tdc set dist to point at number 1