Sign in to follow this  
1957Birdman

Where can we safely drive our cars?

"...are we becoming our own enemy? "

Always have been. :(

The great cartoonist Walt Kelly ( "Pogo" ) put it simply:

"We have met the enemy and they is us."

" In this mornings paper, (auto-section - Test Drive) they were advertising a 2010 Mazdaspeed3. It features an intercooled tubocharged engine, claiming 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. Top speed 153...........................Why is the government allowing this from manufacturers when the posted speed limits are 65, at least in my neck of the woods. "

That's the great paradox of "American Democracy" - our "right" or "privilege" to have such toys.

Trouble is folks easily & quickly forget that along with "rights" and "privileges" come great RESPONSIBILITY...

Ingore "Responsibility" and you will have to face the CONSEQUENCES.

"RESPONSIBILITY" and "CONSEQUENCES" are two concepts severly lacking in today's Western culture.

I also enjoy driving my cars and luckily have many roads that I can safely do that. My Crosleys are a bit on the small side for lots of driving so I try to have at least one larger vehicle for longer drives I went from a 58 Willys FC170 Truck to a 66 Ranchero. The FC was a bit much for driving regular because of the stiff 4WD 1 ton suspension, the 66 turned out to be to modern, comfortable but not enough old car feel. Now I have bought a 1950 F1 Ford 1/2 ton pickup, I hope that is the right compromise for comfort and old car feel.

We are never completely safe even in our modern vehicles so we just have to use some common sense and have fun. The miles we drive our old cars is small in comparison to our total miles traveled so our exposure is lower.

"...are we becoming our own enemy? "

" In this mornings paper, (auto-section - Test Drive) they were advertising a 2010 Mazdaspeed3. It features an intercooled tubocharged engine, claiming 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. Top speed 153

I agree completely with the previous comments and observances. The horror stories I could relate would only be repetitions...

I willonly state another observance...

We have the right to purchase and drive these modern road rockets, but we don't have to prove that we have the level of responsiblility to operate them in the presence of other drivers. That is where the problem lies, I think. The drivers of such vehicles have an overinflated opinion of their own driving ablilities, and lack basic ourtesy and consideration for others on the road.

But then, even on this very forum, we read the rants of those who don't want 'da Gob'ment" to intrude and regulate our lives.

Can't have it both ways, Bubba...

rant over, flame-proofing in place.

But then, even on this very forum, we read the rants of those who don't want 'da Gob'ment" to intrude and regulate our lives.

Can't have it both ways, Bubba...

This isn't gov. intrusion................they made the speed limit rule, not the car manufacturers. I'd prefer the speed limit returned to 55 for two reasons..........save fuel & lives.

Maybe I'm different. When I plan on going somewhere, I leave early and am always on time. If I tell someone I'll pick them up at 5, I'm there..........not a minute before or a minute late...............why can't others? What's the hurry 100% of the time...........???

People's lives are at stake!

Edited by Skyking
spel (see edit history)

I have two old cars - a 66 Imperial and a 79 MG Midget. The Chrysler, I drive like I drive my parents' modern cars. I've been hit before in it, denting the modern car and leaving mine unscratched. I feel very safe. The car will do 100 mph all day and the breaks, though drums would stop a tractor trailer.

The Midget though is a different story. It's only thirty years old, but much like a prewar car, I don't feel very comfortable at much over 55 or 60 and drive accordingly. It has a four speed without overdrive. I feel like, if just about anything hit me, they might not even notice.

When I need to go somewhere in the Midget, I either print google maps directions for walking, which will give you directions to stay off the four lanes, or tell the GPS to avoid highways. That said, I have a couple of times had to keep up with 75 mile an hour traffic in the MG. It was scary as hell and I'd prefer never to do it again.