kid442

My Original Olds Jetfire Found!!!!!!!!

Nice day today had the car out so I took a few photos to update on the progress.

43hVlYN.jpg
EtNSUTE.jpg
8fZTIgs.jpg
jGjP1rU.jpg
FnHNnzN.jpg

Just installed all the exterior trim. Next weather strips and gaskets. Took it out for a couple mile drive. Checked out OK. Getting closer.
Will be making a list of parts I will be looking for to complete and update the Jetfire.

9VGEjy4.jpg

tTmhj9D.jpg

• Like 1

Straight pipe but will be installing a complete exhaust system. Thought about a straight pipe no muffler but it gets old fast.

Just put 110 miles on the car in the last week. Runs great. Had the muffler shop install a Waldron's exhaust system I purchased. Four hours later and a bunch of $$$ but came out great. Still have a few gaskets more and a bunch of other items but the list is getting shorter.

003.JPG

004.JPG

Edited by kid442 (see edit history)

Quick update. Painted the wheels white. I think it's a big improvement! New wheels and tires are for this winter. Not sure what we may do. Change to 5 lug or order custom wheels. For now drive the wheels off of it.

DSC06409.JPG

8 hours ago, kid442 said:

Quick update. Painted the wheels white. I think it's a big improvement!

I agree -- looks great!  For the life of me, I can't understand the fixation with black wheels on newer cars today.  I don't like that look at all and wonder whether it's just an acknowledgement that the owner is too lazy to be bothered with cleaning the brake dust off of their wheels...  <_<

I think it looks great sans white walls !

OK here is the latest update. Just installed a posi rear new shocks and 1/2" lowering springs. The rear is from a 1961 Buick Special and there were a bunch of changes made the Job much harder than needed. A little farmer engineering and its in. Going to get the car to the Hershey AACA car show this Oct.

DSC06510.JPG

DSC06506.JPG

• Like 1

Hershey update
Made the first Hershey with the Jetfire. It was a blast!! Had judges stopping all day thanking us for bringing the car. Few hundred people stopped also. Most had never seen one before. The car was a big hit! I will let you know how we made out with the judging. Takes a few weeks but the car is not done. Drove over 600 miles no problem! Had a few people stop that had been following the progress on the AACA website blog I have going.
Thanks to all
Ken

U8Cg65A.jpg
MGj5K14.jpg
8rH0DdW.jpg
  • Like 2

Have been following your restoration since you started it...........& have enjoyed every moment of it!!!

Thanx for taking us along for the ride!

Iowa Dale

Dale

Thanks for the post! Had a great time at Hershey!! It was great to get it to a car show after 8 years of work. Still a lot left to go but working on it a little at a time. Hope to be back next year.

Be well

Ken

PS: still have a few good stories about getting parts cars home.

Next step in the restoration of the Jetfire. Complete front suspension rebuild. Lots of cleaning and wire brushes. More work but will be worth it.
kdnXKG4.jpg
YfdXq0p.jpg
HrJ45eh.jpg

My #1 mechanic on the job!!
yfHgWqO.jpg

Next update. Made the Oldsmobile National meet in Gettysburg, PA Drove the car 4 hours both ways. Came away with a first place award. Very happy!! Still more details to add car is coming together.Caught up with a lot of old Olds friends.

07qtTYy.jpg

MfFVM43.jpg

Posted (edited)

New update! Installed the correct 10" flywheel, clutch assy, and super T10. The stock t10 had a 2:56 first gear and was hard to get it moving with slipping the clutch. The new trans has a 3:42 first gear. That makes a big difference!! Next install the new replated rear bumper. Still more to do!!

2hcy75R.jpg

QTOFkSz.jpg

LGhNaSU.jpg?1

Great work on bringing your old friend back to life.  Pardon my very personal observation, but I liked the white wheels better than the black.

• Like 1

Ejboyd5

I did but my son wanted black. Last weekend when we put the trans in he came to our side and is going to paint them white!!

Next is to put the re-plated bumper on.

Thanks for the post!

Ken

Ken,

Had a '62 Jetfire, but sold before finishing, sold long ago.  Found a pristine console and T-10, amazing stack of NOS parts, but my heart wasn't in it.  Anyway, my plan was to install these Toyota wheels, thought they'd look great.  Scott

1982 - 1986 Toyota Supra Celica Wheel Rim Factory Machined 14x7" OEM 69144 + Cap

Great that you got your old car back! Neat car too!