kid442

My Original Olds Jetfire Found!!!!!!!!

A quick update. Just got the doors and trunk back from the body shop. Took a lot longer than expected. Had to scrap the doors on the car. They are primed and the jams painted the color of the car. Replaced the lower glass channel and the vent window rubber. Everything is installed and ready for the car. Will try and get the other door assembled and ready for the car. By then it should be done snowing!! See the photo below.

Ken

63jetfirerhdoor_zps808b00d4.jpg

I had a 1963 white on white convertible in the late 60's. It wasn't a Jetfire but was a nice local car so there was no rust but the "slim Jim" automatic trans was a soft spot on those and would slip under acceleration and then suddenly slam into gear. Some transmission techs referred to it as a "jerkamatic" and the problem was well known in the industry. Used it as part trade to a young couple and cash for a 1964 Avanti. One of the few that I let get away, wish I had it back. They were rare when new but I almost never see them now. Congratulations and thanks for saving one of the few remaining of it's kind.

Thanks for your reply! When my dad and started on the project the first thing we looked and purchased a 4speed parts car. The other odd thing about this Car is I purchased the motor complete from a tractor pull tractor. He claimed he out pulled all the others except one with a big buck Chevy motor. At the oldjetfire.com site they only have about 110 cars registered and maybe 40 running. The rest are parts cars.

Just retired and moved to Maryland. I have a lot more time to work on the car. Just pulled the motor. Have both doors installed. Been stripping parts, bead blasting and getting things painted and detailed. Finished painting the engine compartment. Painted the floors on the inside and seam sealed them. Now to the underside. A few photos below. More to follow.

IMG_20140919_115414_zps8b94c571.jpg

Engine compartment painted

IMG_20140919_113459_zps78e1f03c.jpg

Floors seam sealed and painted.

Just catching up with some photos. Door are on and the trunk lid. Starting to shape up. Been striping parts, bead blasting and painting for the last 3 weeks. Seam sealed the floor from the top and bottom. Undercoated half the floor today. Running out of warm weather to paint. Next thing on the list is to install the windshield. Soon to the engine to clean it up and install some new gaskets. Still a lot to do.

Ken

DSC05643_zpsf29fe69e.jpg

DSC05642_zps6ace2948.jpg

DSC05645_zps8b0446f5.jpg

Seeing your car brought back memories of an identical car, except it had a red interior, I used to stop and admire on my paper route back in the summer of 1967. Good Luck!

Larry,

thanks for the positive post! Been a lot of work the second time around. Should be better this time. At least I have some extra time to put in.

Thanks,

ken

Both posts painted and installed the windshield over the weekend. Put the engine on the stand and ready to re-gasket it. Paint and detail it. Still striping, bead blasting and painting parts.

Still looking for parts!

jetfireDSC05676_zps3580c723.jpg

jetfireDSC05675_zps11b40c0b.jpg

jetfireengineDSC05678_zps9478d5c2.jpg

Things are starting to slow down with winter coming. Cleaning the engine and re-gasket the intake manifold, and the painted the oil pan. All bolts and hardware coated. Just locating parts and bead blasting parts.

Always looking for parts and cars! Need a 1961, 1962, and 1963 Olds Cutlass, F85 or Buick Special Skylark!!

Thanks,

Ken

kid442w30@yahoo.com

jetfireeng-1_zps46fa011a.jpg

jetfireeng-2_zps42dda55d.jpg

jetfireeng-3_zps27c83e1c.jpg

First update in about 9 months. Was a very long winter for me but been working real hard this spring and through a very hot summer. The photos do not look like much was done but took a lot to gt to this point. Every time I think I have everything cleaned bead blasted and painted I find more. The engine is installed as well as the bell housing, flywheel, clutch assembly and trans. I have the clutch linkage, bell crank, and pedals. Have the Hurst shifter installed. Also installed the heater core and blower motor. Stripped a fuel pump bolt hole last week. Installed two helicoils and re-assembled the front cover to the engine. Installed power steering and alternator brackets. Next on the list is the wiring harness. I should have more photos soon.

Ken 

jetfire%20engine%2011_zpshnr7erdj.jpg

jetfire%20engine%2010_zpsso8hfbzk.jpg

Any progress, no matter how little, is good pregress. Keep on pushin'. Larry W

Should have the motor completed in the next few weeks. Will post more photos soon.

Ken

OK quick update. Installed the front fenders and sheet metal. Just a few photos. 

DSC05785_zpsx73hre6q.jpg

DSC05784_zpslbtppg6m.jpg

DSC05783_zpscmhdgeyn.jpg

Update:

One week under the car with wire brush. Then black spray paint. What a mess! Came out real nice. Couple of quick photos.

IMG_0447_zpslfg1tloc.jpg

Before

63%20jetfire%20underside2_zpslzqdpcct.jp

After

Edited by kid442 (see edit history)

Painted the dash and door. A lot of work but again came out real nice. Next is to install dash pad.

jetfire%20dash%20before_zpsnavhoun0.jpg

Before

jetfire%20dash%20after_zpsqcxxiuqm.jpg

After

jetfire%20dash%20after2_zpsymdfypmg.jpg

jetfire%20dash1_zpsbsphp6cg.jpg

jetfire%20dash%202_zpslbbfrph7.jpg

more after photos

jetfire%20dash%20pad_zpsipmhuf8c.jpg

Dash pad