INCREDIBLE GARAGES!!

Steve Moskowitz

Guest Skyking
Do these guys own any tools? Except for the last couple garages, they're pretty well hidden! Plus, where do they keep all their rusty spare parts?

My guess, not one knows how to turn a wrench or a screw driver!

I can just imagine me painting a car in any of those............:D:confused:

Way too sterile for me, and I'm no fan of modern art or architecture, and of course modern cars. Are there any Brass Era car collections in nice storage areas? How about Motorcycle and Race Car collections? There is no requirement to work on your cars to have a fine collection IMO. I was gainfully emploied for 14 years working on some of the finest cars in the world that were owned but people with better things to do than get dirty workng on a car.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Guest Bluesky636
All I can say about these "garages" (or high end display cases) is that I should have been born rich instead of so good lookin'.

AHHHH! My eyes are burning! :eek:

J/K

I'd rather hang out in my old pole barn that is full of antiquated machinery and automotive stuff. Or next to my overflowing workbench that proves I have done many repairs. :D Dandy Dave!

I agree with Dave. To quote a Paul Simon line, "I am just a poor boy". My "garage" is a condo parking lot, where repairs are "forbidden". I have to borrow a friends tree shaded driveway.......... Jim

Of course they work on their own cars!

Last Saturday I went to a "Cars & Coffee" at the Dupont Registry in Clearwater Florida (at 7 AM)and parked my Gliddden Tour veteran 1934 Ford

among the 250 high tech Ferrari's, Porsche's, Corvette's, Audi's and

super fast "collectibles".

I found one with a tool box and looked inside and the only tool was a

ball point pen to energize the checkbook

If someone is going to have a boatload of money, I'm glad they're car nuts. Guys like that keep a lot of auto shops, restoration shops, etc. in business. And some of them have great collections. And I sure would like all that space!

At the same time, those garages struck me as weirdly sterile. The idea of a car garage with a marble floor or very expensive furniture seems to miss the idea of the garage as a place to hang out with the cars as cars, not the cars as show pieces.

That doesn't mean you have to be a serious mechanic -- heck, I'm not -- but it is really weird to see no automotive *stuff* near the cars.

Wow!! Look what I brought since I gave up cocaine!

The best collections took hard work not just a check book.

I had a very nice guy come to see me he writes garage books.

When I told him he couldn't use my name he was shocked.....

Yup cean bench is the sure sign nothing is happening there.

My rants over :)

Here's my garage. 26'x28' and quite often has 2 Amphicars and my Road King/sidecar in there. It's tight especially with my wheelchair. Thanks for go-jacks! I use them to push one car aside while I work on another on the lift. The walls are lined with my tools (parts washer, blast cabinets, workbenches, storage, and parts. I have a piece of carpet in front of the bench. That is as close to a marble floor as it will ever get!

I can appreciate these sanitary displays (certainly NOT garages) for what they are as a place for display only. I have always dreamed of have a garage (shop) and a place to display.

post-31565-143138139055_thumb.jpg

Guest 84TransAm

I was fortunate to view several garages or "garages" in person. Among them, Art Astor, the Petersen Vault, Peter Mullin, GM's Heritage Center, and Jay Leno's Big Dog Garage. Leno's, the vault and the heritage center all had garages for storage and display as well as areas that were solely used for service and restoring cars. Leno has an entire airplane hanger converted into a shop. If I recall correctly there were five in all. Four were used for his collection. The Heritage Center is always changing and the Astor collection is now sold (well most of them). None are open to the public. But with the right calls you can get in. Leno's and the Heritage Center were the best as far as getting around cars and working on them. Can actually walk around the cars with more than enough room to spare. The Vault was packed and Mullin's was tight, he has a turn table. I know of another incredible shop/garage down in south Jersey and believe it or not, there is one in the middle of downtown Manhattan near Grand Central Station. (I know exactly where but I'm not telling)

Edited by 84TransAm (see edit history)

I am like Amphicarbuyer and my man cave is stacked with car parts, tools, stuff, and two cars + in a 3 car garage. There is always something happening out there as I also do not have a clean work bench. As to comments about the GM Heritage Center, it is a cool place and I have been fortunate also to visit. The far back of the facility has a work/repair area, the very front has offices and the BIG middle has all of the cars on display not behind rope where you can actually walk around the cars. Very COOL.

Can you imagine what these guys could do if they had a little money to help fix up the their garages?

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have that extra bit of cash to make my garage better and not so crowded. I hope in a year or 2 that I can move to a bigger property so I can have a shop that works well with lots of room. Until I win the lottery, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing with what I have.

Guest 84TransAm
Can you imagine what these guys could do if they had a little money to help fix up the their garages?

Yea, the sky is the limit (lifts, spray booths, etc....) and quite a few more cars too :D.