Sign in to follow this  
boblichty

What was your first collector car? Not daily driver?

What does restification mean?

I believe it means (to the folks who made it up) partially restored, but modified, ie modern drive train. Looks mostly like a restoration, but not.

I bought a 1941 Lincoln Custom, 138 inch wheel base car orignally owned by a member of Ford family, but 50 years oh northern oHIo made it rustier than my skills could handle..I dissassembled it and learned alot, back in 73.. I was 13..My folks were very understanding...and "let" me keep it in the garage...

Here's mine, a $100 Catalina hardtop. The little old lady original owner put a dent in each of the four corners trying to handle this barge, but she kept the interior dead mint. I started to restore it, but the frame rusted all the way through and one day the engine ended up on the ground. My mechanic showed up with a jack and a 2x4, and we drove the car to the nearest junkyard under its own power. Got $50 for it and kept a few parts. Taught me to be a bit more careful with my next selection :)

catalina.JPG

Restification in this case would mean retaining the original Olds 394 engine with a later Turbo HydraMatic transmission, and updated to disc brakes, possibly airbags. The idea of installing a "modern" GM drivetrain i.e. Chevy crate engine does not appeal to me. If it came to that, I would use a later Olds 403 or 455 in place of the 394 so it would technically remain "all Olds". Not worried about keeping that one "as built". Better to be driven with some modern updates than to remain immobile under its shed.

You all make me feel like a dinosaur. I bought my first car for $2.00 a 1918 Austin 20hp Tourer at the tender age of 16 which makes the year 1952. It had been taken off the road in 1940 at the start of WW2. Unfortunately left out in the open. I actually got it to run before my parents made me take it to the rubbish dump. Lucky for it some one rescued it. I heard about ten years ago that it had recently been exported to the UK still unrestored.

Bernie J.

Mine was a 1930 Ford sedan delivery single rear door that I bought in "72 (age 18).

I was working in a body shop learning the trade. By the time I was 20 I had the"30 Ford sedan delivery ,a "36 Ford 3 window coupe. a "41 Dodge coupe, and a "63 Fleetwood divided limo. I took these cars to a local car show one of the judges saw me digging through the Caddy and told me to leave. So I asked him to lower the rope and I would be back for the other 3 cars. Red faced he said sorry I didn't know

In high school my friends and I thought the 1970's cars were much more impressive than anything made in the late 1980's-1990's. We all had 1970's cars as daily drivers. My last was a 1979 Continental Mark V that was a daily driver for many years. It was retired from daily use when it became an antique. It was rear ended and totaled in 2007. I should probably have used the money from my insurance to do practical things like pay bills since I already had a daily driver car. Instead I decided I wanted another antique car.

The 1976 Mark IV was not on my list, but after looking for over a year at other cars (mostly basket cases), it showed up. I looked at, and decided to pass on it. It showed up a few months later for half price on Ebay, and I decided I couldn't pass up half price. Making it my first car to be purchased purely as a collectible in July 2008.

I bought my first car when I was 16 - two years ago. A 1966 Imperial Crown. Last year, at 17 I bought my second, a 1979 MG Midget. Still have both but I'm half looking to sell the Imp. They are my only cars so they are collectively a daily driver. The Imp's name is Betsy and the MG is Milton.

My first collectible was a 1923 Amilcar C4 which I picked up for $15. I was 7 at the time and although I never completed the resotration I did have the motor running before selling it at age 18.

My 1930 Ford Model A was left behind by my father when he moved out, and the 1916 Smith Flyer I picked up on ebay (well the parts I do have for it anyway)

I bought a '64 Impala sedan, 283, PG, PS in 1984. It had 56K on it. I kept it for 3 years, but then my job changed and I needed a car I could drive year round, so I sold it. It had a driveline vibration that I could never cure and kept destroying center carrier bearings.

'68 427 tripower Corvette coupe with a 4speed Muncie. Bought it in 1977 and still have it today. I paid $3,300 in '77---- roughly $ 1/pound.

At most I have put 5,000 miles on the clock in the last 32 years. I was looking for a big block Pontiac or Riviera at the time and just stumbled onto it.

I wish I bought 10 of 'em in '77 instead of investing in the stock market.

Ken

Edited by kencary (see edit history)

First collectible car I actually owned is a 1955 Jaguar XK 140 Drophead for which I paid $237.50 in 1968 and which I still have, still sitting in the garage untouched since the summer of '69. Hoping to begin restoration any day now.

More I think about it, the over 100 cars I have had have all been drivers, not collectors. I already have a coffee table.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

My first collector car was a 1949 Jeepster. When I was 16 years old Dad brought this gem home. I had a soft spot for Jeeps. Someone had begun a re-power with an Olds V-8. Needless to say it never saw the road. We found a correct 6 cylinder in a local bone yard and Dad introduced me to the finer art of the GRUNT part of restoration. I did all the dirty work and he did everything that required brains and talent. The car was rough but after a total body off restoration it ended up rather nice. It was completed in about 1978. It turned out too nice to drive to school which was what Dad told Mom was the function.

After spotting another Willys in a nearby town, a 4x4 pickup with a snow plow we then did a quick paint and face lift on that. That was my driving to school car which I made huge money plowing snow with in the winter of 78-79.

On my 21st birthday Dad presented me with a card. When I opened the card it contained the title for the Jeepster. He told me he wanted to see how well I took care of it.

He saw my appreciation for the vehicle and knew I would be good to it. Hence how do you get your teenage son to like old cars!

Well, I guess I could say that my 1931 Dodge coupe that I got when I was young was/is my first collector car. I DID drive it to high school and drove around in it while looking for more old cars, so I guess while I was driving my 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner, my '31 was my first "collector" car. I am still collecting parts for it, so I guess it's a collector in a couple of ways. Oh yeah....it collects DUST, too!

post-37352-143138143761_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138143765_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

My first older car was a 51 olds 88 4 door I bought in 79 off the original owner when I was 18 that had 51,000 miles and ran great but never seen a gargae in its life,it was rough and was trying to find a non running 2 door body to put the drivetrain in but ended up trading it for a 72 AMX.

Mine was a 1928 Ford Model A roadster pickup. Kept it for about 10 years and then let it go. But I still have a 22 Dodge Brothers Speedster

post-52470-14313814439_thumb.jpg

Although my first car was a 1959 Buick conv, a 31 Ford deluxe tudor was my first hobby car.Still have it over 20 years. Bob, the guy in Talmedge was his name Gerry Crater?

Not exactly a collector car by most people, in 1990 I traded a wrecked 86 crown vic for a 69 Dodge pickup with 63,000 miles. It was a 318, automatic, with air, but no power steering! Kept it for 14 years until we moved across country and could not take it. It had less than 70,000 miles at that time. Still miss that ole truck.

My first collector car was a 1965 Buick Wildcat coupe, but I was 16, so I had to use that as my daily driver. Fast forward 15 years and my first true hobby collector car was a 1965 Buick Wildcat, but this time I went with a convertible. :)

The very first car I bought after getting my drivers license was a 1968 Camaro but it doesn't count since that was my daily driver in the late 70s.... so that makes my 1957 Chevrolet pickup as my first antique vehicle. Saw it sitting in a parking lot for sale and I tracked down the owner and bought it as my weekend play toy. Shortly afterwards,,a friend of mine that grew up in the AACA convinced Di and I to join in the AACA and Harford Region.

1947 Dodge D24. It beat out my 1946 Pontiac Streamliner by 1 day

.post-86759-143139094113_thumb.jpg

The 46 Pontiac I bought back from my wife during my divorce and have since been forced to sell to pay for my moms Alzheimers care. The Dodge is going into an auction along with all my other earthly possesions and a bunch of other classic cars on July 22nd, in Michigan. It's killing me.

post-86759-143139094098_thumb.jpg