1948 Lincoln Continental

Guest cathyland

Guest cathyland

This restorable gem needs a new home. Two door coupe comes with an extra engine and an extra transmission. Located in Austin, TX. You come and get it. Belongs to my mom. It was parked in her garage in 1984 and has not been driven since. Call 512-785-5603 and ask for Marilu.

1948 Lincoln Continental

Professionally rebuilt engine with new valves & new 4 ring pistons, bearings, etc.

Transmission & overdrive work like new. extra transmission in shed - syncro in 2nd gear not working right, the overdrive is ok.

brakes, wheel bearings and seals rebuilt. wheel cylinders & master cylinder honed & new kits installed. tie-rod & king pins ok.

radiator - ok

1 radio works & 1 is repairable

- windshield and back glass - ok

3 sets of chrome grills - 1 set mint

2 sets have a few weather pits (none broken)

2 extra doors (complete)

3 extra fendors

1 extra trans & overdrive

2 sets instruments, radio, etc.

2 curved back glass

windshield clear no visible fog

extra starter - fuel pumps - seats - door panels, etc.

post-64906-143138139218_thumb.jpg

post-64906-143138139221_thumb.jpg

post-64906-143138139223_thumb.jpg

post-64906-143138139225_thumb.jpg

post-64906-143138139227_thumb.jpg

post-64906-143138139229_thumb.jpg

post-64906-143138139231_thumb.jpg

post-64906-143138139233_thumb.jpg

Edited by cathyland
add photos (see edit history)

Guest cathyland

thank you for your interest. i believe that my mom (in Austin) is working on that. I will be in Austin late friday so I will work on it over the weekend if it's not already done.

Guest raywilks

i spoke with marilu same day ad was posted, she was at work, when she called me back after work she read off a list of parts and where they were stored on her property. she is asking 12 grand for everthing, spare engine, doors etc. car came from the curator of the lbj library when he was transfered out of state. marilu told me she would try to send pictures in the next day or so. i never heard back. she does not know why the car does not run but it does roll out of the garage, no flat tires.

Thanks Ray.

The $12,000 is too rich for my blood. Might be worth it, might not. I think a person can get a running, driving 48 LC coupe for $12,000, that needs restoration but can be driven, that sort of thing. I have seen several full on projects in the $600 to $1200 range though.

Guest cathyland

1948 Lincoln Continental

Professionally rebuilt engine with new valves & new 4 ring pistons, bearings, etc.

Transmission & overdrive work like new. extra transmission in shed - syncro in 2nd gear not working right, the overdrive is ok.

brakes, wheel bearings and seals rebuilt. wheel cylinders & master cylinder honed & new kits installed. tie-rod & king pins ok.

radiator - ok

1 radio works & 1 is repairable

- windshield and back glass - ok

3 sets of chrome grills - 1 set mint

2 sets have a few weather pits (none broken)

2 extra doors (complete)

3 extra fendors

1 extra trans & overdrive

2 sets instruments, radio, etc.

2 curved back glass

windshield clear no visible fog

extra starter - fuel pumps - seats - door panels, etc.

FINALLY POSTED PIX ON MY ORIGINAL THREAD.....i may be technology challenged???

Cathy,

You did a great job updating the community on your mom's car. 1st thing I noticed was I put the year purchased 1984 and the year now 2009 and the apparent location of the car in the middle of her garage and thought no way could I last 25 years having that car occupy my attached garage in that space!

But maybe it was moved there recently....

I think $12,000 is optimistic. I know the LZOC has a website, should go on there too.

Guest cathyland

Ha ha ha...very funny! that car HAS been sitting in that spot for 25 years! When Bill was alive, his main hobby was radio controlled airplanes...and man do we have A LOT of them and all that that entails laying around. Hopefully we will find a new home for all - with people that love them as well as Bill did.

Guest raywilks

cathy, in your first post you said there was an extra engine. is the engine in the car now the rebuilt engine you refer to in your recent post or is the extra engine the one that is rebuilt? if the rebuilt engine is installed in the car did it ever run and how well?thanks,ray wilks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cathyland

the engine that is in the car is the professionally rebuilt engine. It was running when the car was driven into the garage....25 years ago. With some new gas it may start right up...there is no reason why it would not run. my mom guesstimates there is 1500 miles on the professionally rebuilt engine in the car.

• 1 month later...
Guest cathyland

We've GOT to find a new home for this great car! $8000 OBO - you pick it up OR we can work out something I'm sure.

Please help me - I am not really well connected to this type of network!

Thanks,

Cat

Cathy,

Incomplete post war Lincoln Continental COUPES go for $1200 to $2000. Complete cars needing full restoration as your mom's car does, I think can find a home in the $4,000 to $6,000 range.

2 things - you may have to resort to the exposure an ebay auction provides. You can set the reserve at $8,000, run a 10 day auction and see where it ends up.

If the reserve is met, that's great because your price is met and the new owner felt comfortable enough to bid that high. If the reserve is not met, then you will likely get off ebay contacts with some degree of seriousness - and you can negotiate a sales price. A 10 day auction should "saturate" the LC crowd market as those guys bookmark most LC auctions.

Or - place an ad or have a member help you place an ad on the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club website. Call an officer of the club and discuss you would like to find an owner for this car.

http://www.lzoc.org/

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest DHMPiano

You would'nt have a spare air cleaner would you??? I am beating the bush for one.

Thanks, DHMPiano