Buick Rainier

Mudbone

I am looking for a multi purpose vehicle. I would like to use it as a family/vacation vehicle. But I also need to pull a car trailer with an antique vehicle on board. I have always liked the Buick Rainier. What engine should I look for and what type of mileage could I expect? Thanks, Ken

I think Thriller had a Rainer for a while, he can probably give some thoughts on it. I personally wouldn't want anything smaller than a 1500 series Chevy truck or suburban. In fact I am on the look out for a low mile Suburban to replace the Silverado which is hitting on 230K. What's your thoughts on a 94-96 Buick Estate wagon.

I own a 2004 Rainer CXL AWD with the 5.3 liter V8. Excellent vehicle and I love mine. It will pull an OPEN trailer without problem as I have done so several times with a 4000 lb car on the trailer. That being said, I would NOT attempt an enclosed trailer behind a Rainer. I have equipped mine with a trailer brake controller and have no issues stopping, turning or pulling away from a stop.

Around town I get in the mid teens...highway around 20 mpg. While towing it will get very low teens.

Ask any questions you may have and I'll give you an honest answer.

Thanks for the info. I pulled my open trailer with a Model T Ford depot hack on board with my 2000 Chevy Astro van. I had to keep it in third gear. Could not use overdrive. It actually did very well. I have surge brakes on the trailer so stopping was not a problem. I got 13 miles to the gal. pulling the trailer. (I only get 16 on the hwy without the trailer. The problem is I only use the trailer a few times a year so I need a multipupose vehicle. Ken

I think the Rainier comes in 2 lengths as the Chevy Trailblazer did. Both are full frame SUV's which is key - that's probably why most people use trucks or long wheelbase SUV's.

Those are ideal but if you only tow a few times a year, they are far less practical. Look, I pulled a 54 Chrysler New Yorker on an open trailer across hilly western Iowa once with my 2000 Ford F150 equipped with a 4.3L V6.

I made it. My friend has the same 5.3L V8 found in the Rainier in his Silverado and we use that to pick up my non running cars. It constatntly downshifts and we get -2 mpg I think (because I pay the bill :mad: ).

I worked at a Chevy dealer and we used to get the Rainier in off lease trade ins and when they purchased them at dealer auctions. It is much better trimmed out then the Trailblazers. Better colors, wheels, interiors and grille. Those things might not matter to you, but I would grab a Rainier ina heartbeat, with the 5.3L and use it to tow 3-4 times per year.

The Rainer's were only available in the short wheelbase version and were for awhile the only version of the Trailblazer with a V8 option in the short wheelbase.

You are correct Jake that they are a step above the Chevy/GMC versions. The interiors, exterior trim, and the Buick trademark "quiet tuning" really set the Rainer apart from lesser versions. It is very quiet to drive.

You would have zero problems pulling the trailer/vehicle you describe. You probably wouldn't even know it was there.