29 Dodge DA wood wheels

Guest pat gill

Guest pat gill

Hi, I have a 1929 Dodge DA sedan here in the UK, imported from Africa! one of the wheels is in poor shape and I need to make new spokes, can anyone tell me what wood is suitable as I don't want to make 10 spokes and find they shrink or crack after a few months!

Regards, Pat

Hello

Hickory was almost universally used. Here in Australia Keith Wilson of 26 South St Allora, Queensland 4362 makes and repairs wood spoke wheels and wooden steering wheel rims. He does not seem to have an e-mail or web site but his phone is +63 7 4666 3209. If all else fails he may be worth a call.

Bernie J.

It may be that only the export cars used Hickory. I have found that spokes from an early 20's Dodge 23 inch wheel make excellent hammer handles. I have used several of these 85/90 year old spokes and they are still doing a great job. I am certain that they are genuine American Hickory.

Bernie J.

I concurr with Tinindian on using ash or oak. An article from some years ago, I believe from Skinned Knuckles, had an experience with buying a car that had had wheels redone using oak. He hit a bump and the spokes broke. Hickory is the preferred wood because it is durable but has enough give and springyness to last on the wheels.

Guest frazer51

Well I sure hope that hickory is the correct choice. A close friend who was a long time sawmill operator suggested for me to use hickory and had furnished me a piece of seasoned hickory. So I machined some spokes and replaced the bad ones in the wheels for my 1918 Buick.

post-61302-143138136605_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138136609_thumb.jpg