Window Felt Installation

Guest 51 Special

Guest 51 Special

I am trying to replace the window felts on my 51 Buick but I'm not having alot of luck. I've been trying to rivet them to the door on both the inside and out but the drilling the hole is tearing up the felts. Has anyone ever replaced the felts on their car and if so how did you do it? Is there a glue available that will hold up? Even the guy who sold it to me had no clue how to install.

Guest 51 Special

The factory used a clip that attached to the inside of the window, the felt was then pushed onto the clip and small metal tabs were then bent over to hold the felt in place. Unfortunately the clips are no longer available, at least from my supplier.

Guest 51 Special

JOhn where are you located in Iowa? Do you do spray painting? I live in Ames and would like to get my 51 repainted. The body is very straight.

My shop is in Green Mountain which is 7 miles NE of Marshalltown. Yes I paint cars. Some of my work is pictured in my albums posted on this site. Come over and visit sometime if you wish. Best to call ahead though. I'm usually in the shop 8 to 5 or so. I have a customers restored Milburn Light Electric Coupe at Accurate Upholstery there in Ames right now. Good to hear from you. Regards, John Phone 641 474 2313 home and shop.

Guest pete324rock

I had this problem and though I didn't like it,I used some of the black windshield sealant to glue them......ever try to get that stuff off....There are probably better and easier glues to work with.With fuzzies,you can't have any metal sticking out...that is a big hurdle mechanically.

If pop riviting fuzzies what I first do is melt a head diameter pocket after I melt the rivet diameter hole. That makes a counter bore type hole and the rivet head pulls well below the fuzzy surface and will not scratch the glass. I paint the rivet head flat black before "popping" and they are almost invisable. Just another way to skin this cat that is easy and works well..........Bob