Brake line 1964 Riv

Guest REX STALLION

Guest REX STALLION

Has anyone changed the long brake line to the rear? I followed the line to where it has an attachment to the frame (forward) but I can`t figger out how to get the fitting out. Is there some mid point fitting that I can replace from as the hole is near the rear where it meets with the rubber hose.(On the plus side ,I now know why I was losing fluid:rolleyes:)

Guest Gee_Rydes

Hey Rex,

You may know I am doing a frame off and I did have to remove mine.

It connects to the fitting block under the Master Cylinder and is uninterrupted all the way back to the rubber hose connection. Brass fitting on both ends. It is about 8 feet long and will all come out through the holes in the frame.

Hope this is the info you were looking for.

Disconnect both ends and all the little hold down clamps. Connect some strong string to the old one in front then pull the whole mess out the back. That will leave the string on place to pull the new one in from rear to front.

REplace the ones that go across the rear axle at the same time. It is the place that gets all the road corrosion and rusts through first. And new rubber brake hose. Then you will be good to go.

Rex-Jim has the right idea about getting the new line through the frame. I actually took it from a slightly different approach...I used duct tape and taped the new line (from Inline Stainless) to the old one once I disconnected it near the master cylinder. Obviously take the tail of the new one and tape to the head of the old. Keep the tape tight otherwise it will get caught. It also serves to protect the fittings. Pull it carefully, but firmly from the back of the car. It helps if somebody stands at the front and helps feed it although I had it done before my wife even had the chance to drop what she was doing to help me out. I seriously fretted this operation for about a week before I did it. It ended up taking about 3 minutes. Good luck. PRL

Guest REX STALLION

Well I gotta tell ya, that was a great tip! The new line is in and works just Jim Dandy (or should that be Jim Cannon ?) The string is the thing! Thanks!