Blinker chime

Guest Fuelfan

Guest Fuelfan

I have a '88 reatta and when I turn the signal on for a left turn the arrow flashes but does not make the chime anymore! The right side works but not the left. I've checked all the bulbs and they are all working, I was thinking that was an indicator a bulb was out. Any suggestions?

From the sound of things, you have either a 1988 or 1989 and they use a special turn signal fasher module. I have never tried to buy one but they may only be available from GM and are probably expensive. You might do a wrecking yard run and buy a couple from Rivieras for spares.

Guest Richard D

Did the 1990 coupe have a chime? I can not remember from my first car and this one has no chime sound at all, not even key in ignition warning. Perhaps in the car's history an owner hated it and removed it. Can someone tell me where it is located?

Thank's

Richard.

Can this module be replaced with one that doesn't chime? I hate having the thing beep every time the light blinks, enough that I've not been using the blinkers. Once out I'd be willing to sell mine, but if there's not a replacement I'll be figuring out how to silence it.

Can this module be replaced with one that doesn't chime? I hate having the thing beep every time the light blinks, enough that I've not been using the blinkers. Once out I'd be willing to sell mine, but if there's not a replacement I'll be figuring out how to silence it.

It is hard to remember which year Reatta you are talking about each time you post. Not all Reatta year models are the same.

Please add the model of your Reatta, (and any other relative information), to your signature line. It will make it easier for us to help you with answering your questions without repeatedly asking you about the Reatta you own.

Click "User CP" in the menu at the top of this page and scroll down to "Edit Signature"

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest 88 Black and Tan

I've got the same issue as Fuelfan - an '88 with a dead chime on the left turn signal. Bulbs are all working. The flashing on the dash for the left turn signal is quicker than the right turn signal that has a working chime. What is the consensus for the fix - a new chime module? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to stay as stock as possible - even if the chime is one of the great annoyances of the 20th century!

Both the '90s and '91s have a chime module mounted behind the LH side of the I/P. Left of the steering column.

If you look in the '90 shop manual you will see the location on page 201-13-C

If you look in the '91 shop manula you will see teh location on page 201-14-D

• 2 years later...
Guest Kurt Franz
"If you have a small hand and a long arm you could replace it. "

Thanks for the information Jon :) , BUT I have neither of the above in quotes :( .

Awaiting answer Mr. Mr. Finn on his last post in this thread......

Nic

Was there ever an answer to this one?

Thx

[h=2]Here's a cut and paste from a post I wrote years ago:

Re: Strange Dinging Noise[/h]

I had a chime module go bad in my 89. The one that reminds you that you've left your lights on or your keys in the ignition. It may just my imagination but the chime started sounding like the "Bee-dong... Bee-dong" background tone that was ever present on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. Anyway...

Got a replacement module from Jim Finn. Works great. After replacing the module I decided to take a little look-see inside the faulty one. What I found was that the metal bridge (there's that bridge again) that holds the plastic disk, that contains the diaphragm, had broken solder joints at the point where the ends of the bridge make contact with the Printed Circuit Board. Re-melting the solder joints with a touch of rosin core solder made it sound like new again. Now I have a spare.

These broken solder joints are not visible to the naked eye. I used an industrial grade binocular microscope at work to see the joints. ( I believe the scope was set to 250X magnification.) To the naked eye, the joints look perfectly fine.

How did I know to look those specific joints? I didn't...

I just looked at every joint on the PCB before finding the bad joints. Contact Jim Finn for a replacement or check out your local salvage yard or... last but not least... Ebay... (I hate Ebay). If you want to send your non-working one to me, I could take a look at it. All it would cost is postage.

I've been amazed with stuff pulled out of a Reatta, that I can find wrong when viewed under a microscope. For example... those dash pod switches on either side of the instrument cluster for your lights and what-not. The window toggle switches. The remote mirror switches etc... They're amazing pieces of engineering! And most of the time fixable.

Sometimes the contacts just need cleaned. Especially the switches located in the console. Once you get the coffee, pop (soda), beer and other gunk out of them they work just fine.

Getting tired... gotta go.