Sign in to follow this  
1thomy2

Storage Options?

I am new and "green" at this and asking for help! I am in the process of having a 1935 Ford restored, and am building a new garage. My question is: would it be reasonable to store the car in an enclosed trailer equipped with air conditioning and heat, and parked in a drive through shed - or would it be better to create a separate enclosed area in the garage? The car tires will be resting on, and secured with over-the-tire bonnets to a flush-with-the-floor E-Track system. I will have access to the driver side door through an escape door on the trailer.

Dry and out of the elements is the most important thing. The next best way would include climate controlled. If you can maintain some form of heat during cold times, if you have, them is a big plus. Extreme changes is tough on a finished car. Especially the ones you've had restored and want to protect your investment.

Good luck

MSMAZCO: Thanks for the quick reply. My current plan is to house the car enclosed in the trailer (it will have an air conditioner and heater) under a shed with enclosed sides and open ends. However, I do have at least two other options at this point in time. I am in the process of building a garage that I could possibly build a separate enclosed (air conditioned and heated) area for the car. The second option is I can make the garage deep and high enough to back the trailer in it. However, it would not be deep enough to unload the car without pulling the trailer at least part of the way out.

How about a car trailer in Florida without air condition? How much will the 110 degree heat hurt the car? Or, will it hurt the car?

An enclosed car trailer is a great storage option. If you add some climate control it is even better. The only drawback is not being able to tinker with the car too easily while its in there. If you have a carport type shed to put the trailer under, that is fine.

One nice thing about enclosed trailers is that they are typically very tight as far as openings rodents can get in and with a good lock are very secure.

1thomy2,

For what it is worth, I would think that it depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you will never drive it from the house and only trailer it to shows, then storing it in the trailer will work OK. If you, however, ever want to drive it in the neighborhood or otherwise drive it locally, you will hate having to unload it from the trailer every time you want to drive it.

I have a heated and airconditioned garage for all of my cars. I could park my Model A in the trailer inside the garage, but then it is too much trouble to get the car out to drive it. I park the trailer outside of the garage and only load the car into the trailer if I need to take it to a distant location.

I suggest putting it in a climate controlled garage. That is the best option in my opinion.

One of the items that I am thinking of doing is getting one of the containers that you ship stuff in overseas. Basically weather and rodent proof and can store it in one of those u-store places for maybe $150.00/year. No property tax isssues, If I do not like where it is at, then I can have it moved for a couple of hundred bucks. Here in Detroit they are about $1500.00 for a 20 footer. Anyone have any experience with using one of these for storage?

Larry,

I pulled my 15 Buick out of one of those containers...along with several other parts, car frames, aircraft engine, etc... They are a good option for storage if temperature and humidity are not a concern. They are not insulated or air tight.

One of the items that I am thinking of doing is getting one of the containers that you ship stuff in overseas. Basically weather and rodent proof and can store it in one of those u-store places for maybe $150.00/year. No property tax isssues, If I do not like where it is at, then I can have it moved for a couple of hundred bucks. Here in Detroit they are about $1500.00 for a 20 footer. Anyone have any experience with using one of these for storage?

Larry, a friend of mine in Maryland has two 40 ft containers. In one he placed racks and stores car parts in it. In the other he has three future project cars. He paid less than $1500 each for the 40 ft containers. I can tell you that his containers get hotter inside than my enclosed car trailer does in the summer.

For my friend, the cargo containers were a cost effective way of freeing up valuable space in his shop at home.

Charlie,

I am in the same situation where I do not have enough space to work in my garage and live in a subdivision with a homeowners assoc. I wonder if one of those solar roof vents would help with the moisture? Also would painting the top white or silver help with the temp in the summer?

Larry

Charlie,

I am in the same situation where I do not have enough space to work in my garage and live in a subdivision with a homeowners assoc. I wonder if one of those solar roof vents would help with the moisture? Also would painting the top white or silver help with the temp in the summer?

Larry

Larry, funny you ask about painting the roof and temperatures inside.

Click on the following link for a thread where I had this discussion regarding temps and my car trailer. Bottom line is, painting the roof can make a BIG difference. At least it did for me.

http://forums.aaca.org/f196/enclosed-car-trailer-ventilation-245719.html

Larry,

Maybe some spray foam insulation and white or silver paint would help. And, maybe a greenhouse automatic vent would help too.

If it helps anyone at all, I've been storing my Hudson '53 Wasp at a public storage place because it's cheap, environment-conditioned, and safe. Since I'm in Houston, I use Uncle Bob's Self Storage and have been able to negotiate with them on prices (which is great, since the other places I've been to don't work with people well)

I don't know why, but I don't really trust leaving my car in the garage, especially after I put so much money into restoring it. If you're in Houston, you should check out Uncle Bob's Self Storage. I give completely recommendations. If you're not in Houston, they have other public storage lots around the country.