Driving with headsets,(etc.)

Guest LouZ

I'm going to tell you a little story about oldtimers practices and youngsters changing "The way it's done". Probably because in these times, they just learn too quickly.

Us old pilots always wear earphones when we fly, not only do we hear the radio transmissions better; but it helps retain our hearing.

~ ~ ~ BUT ~ ~ ~

We always cock 1 earpiece off just a little bit, that's so we can hear what's happening in the world around us. Too often in conversations with younger pilots, I find no one (Basically thier instructors) ever explained that to them. So it becomes a forgotten piece of keeping your head in what you are doing.

It holds true for cars too.

That stuff you do with a radio (and a cell phone) is not supposed to be a distraction, from the ~ ~ "Art of Driving" ~ ~ ... :eek:

Have a nice day, Lou

Guest d_voitel

HMMMM, I thought, in many states, it was illegal to drive with headsets. The idea is pretty cool, but check with the local laws. LouZ has a point.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting internet info. Maybe CA has safer drivers.

CALIFORNIA Crash data is collected. Rental cars with cell phones have to include safe use instructions.

COLORADO Drivers under 18 cannot use a cell phone in any way while driving. This includes hands-free use cell phone use.

Guest ImperialNorth

The province of Ontario just brought in a law banning cell phone use while driving without a hands free device. Other provinces have also done the same thing. I guess the nav systems will be next??

Guest My TC Toy

AS far as banning the use of cell phones without the use of a hands free device, I think it is pure BS. The law makers should have bit the biscuit from the get go and banned the use of cell phones while driving PERIOD.

I don't care how you use a cell phone while driving you undevided attention is on you conversation and not your driving. I have seen women, and I am not picking on women, some men are just as bad (but not quite), having an arguement on the phone and wandering all over the road.

We were the first Province in Canada to ban cell phone use without a hands free device, but you would never tell by the number of people using of cell phones

Too bad a little common sense has become a dinosaur.

Edited by My TC Toy (see edit history)

Common sense should dictate....if you have trouble concentrating on your task (driving, walking or whatever you are doing), DO NOT DISTRACT yourself with cell phones or headphones. Personally, I would rather hear a siren come up on me than to wear headphones and be "surprised" when an ambulance/firetruck/police car blows by me. A girl in a college town very near here was walking and talking on her cell phone. She was crossing the street at a marked crosswalk, but when she stepped out into the street a car hit her. Killed her dead. Her cell phone blocked her left side vision. Mmmm...that was the direction the car came from. She did not see that car because she did not look each way. It was a boulevard, so she should have at least looked to her left. She walked right into the street and boom. That was it for her. Of course it was the "driver's fault". Oh, then the city put up these little cans to hold bright orange flags to use to cross the boulevard with. That lasted about 10 minutes. Now the flags are gone and people are left to fend for themselves. Imagine it...people watching out for themselves...what a concept.

Guest d_voitel

Before retiring, I used to commute 1.5 hours each way to work. During that time I saw several things that would make one wonder what goes on inside peoples head when they're driving. It's a shame some people don't appear to know what common sense is.