1925 Brake adjustment

STuTZ693

I need help on adjusting all of the rods for my 1925 mechanical timken rear , and only, brakes. External band for foot brake and interal band for hand brake.

I have had the entire system apart and replaced the lining and clevis pins.

Now it is time to make all of the adjustments from scratch.

There is a mechanical stop at the brake pedal and one on each lever at the rear axle. each rod has an adjustable clevis.

I assume there is a logical sequence to follow.

Thanks to all in advance.

Dan,

Your brake system appears to be the same as my 1925 Buick.

The most important adjustment of the rods is to make sure the levers are perpendicular to the rotating shaft when full braking is applied. This assures maximum leverage while braking.

Another important adjustment is to match the contour of the external brake bands to the drums. There is an adusting bolt at the mid point of the band to do this. This assures full contact with the friction material.

Finally, you can adjust the diameter of the band with the adjusting nut at the end or the bands just so they don't drag on the drum.

Then (contrary to what the manual may say) drive slowly on a gravel road and lock up the brakes to find which wheel locks first. Re-adjust until all four wheels stop evenly. I have found this is the only way to do this under load.

Check your brakes frequently after adjustment to make sure one or two are not dragging and/or overheating.

My two cents...

I checked my 1937 Chilton Brake manual for 1925 Stutz but they only list for 1930 and later but since previous posts suggest your system is similar to 1926 Buick I scanned those two pages. I hope this helps. *Pages are slightly large than my scanner bed so edges are clipped some.

Stude8

post-31139-1431381330_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138133003_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...

UNIMOGJOHN, Mark, and Stude8,

I was revisiting some of my old posts and found this one where you provided very good information and it appears I never thanked you.

Well better late than never THANKS.

I still have the STuTZ and doing some routine service.

Dan

1925 STuTZ 693 DiThomas.jpg

• Like 2