12V conversion

DSpringer

That's an easy one! Ford used the same instruments for several years after converting from 6 to 12 volts. They must have had a huge over-supply of 6 volt gauges so they added a little box they called a "voltage regulator" in the gauge circuit. I got one out of a 60's Mustang and it works really well. If I can find an extra, I'll post a photo of it.

Guest german37zephyr

Well, I think I overdid it a little, I'm using this: Voltage Reducer Regulator 12 VOLTS to 6 VOLTS 20 AMPS:eBay Motors (item 130344162306 end time Nov-19-09 11:21:21 PST)

It gives you constant 6.something volts. I'm planning to get my radio restored still and with this regulator I have enough power to run it... It's not the cheapest but a nice solution.

Guest Frenchy32

Skip re did the coil for 12 volts I have all 12 volts system for my Hot Rod Lincoln the only thing I left alone was the starter which is no big deal it will start quicker and does not affect it.

Thanks

Frenchy

I found a regulator circuit at vintage-planet.com. However, use a separate e-mail account, they send advertisements forever. You can get most of the components at Fry's electronics.

If you want to keep the 6-Volt battery but upgrade the ignition for hotter spark, several of the ignition manufactures make up-verters to 12 volts.

Abe