1917 Dodge Brothers Roadster

Guest earliriser

Guest earliriser

Mornin folks.

I have just purchased a 1917 DB Roadster on an impulse. I have some oter old cars but was struck by the age and condition of this old desert find.

I got it started and it runs good but I'm missing some parts. I assume the old car is worth fixing.

Can anyone point me to a parts supplier.

First thing I really need is a wheel and tires. It presently has 5.25 / 5.50 x 18 wheels, 6 hole. I am missing 1 wheel.

what would be a reasonable price to pay for one of these in restoreable condition?

How do you post pics here?

Thanks to all

Guest oldodgeboys

Welcome!

Roadsters are rare and a lot of fun. Restored or not, they will bring some good money. The exact value is a large subject and open to interpretation. The value is generally the amount someone is willing to pay for it...keep your eye on eBay for similar cars to get a price estimate.

The wheels are not original to your car. I recommend you do some research before you start buying parts.

Take a look at the DB club web site for reference pictures. Join the club.

Dodge Brothers Club - Official Web Page of the Dodge Brothers Club

Parts sources (there are others also):

Romar Inc

ROMAR Home Page

Meyers Early Dodge

Myers Early Dodge

RSC (all makes)

RSC

Gus

Guest earliriser

Thanks, I knew the wheels were wrong. But if I can get another maybe I can drive it. I fired it up and it runs fine.

I have a 53 New Yorker w/331 I have almost got in running shape too.

Anyway....Thanks for the help.

Guest oldodgeboys

Hey...I just noticed there's a guy on eBay selling a '17 roadster just like yours; heck, its exactly like yours. He's selling at no reserve, so he must be serious about selling it rather than restoring it. What a coincidence. You and he should get together about your car...

1917 DODGE BROTHERS ROADSTER 1916 1918 1919 :eBay Motors (item 320447221023 end time Nov-17-09 07:36:42 PST)

Guest earliriser

Wow.....That does look just like mine.lol

I see there is little interest on there also.

I really thought roadsters were in high demand.

Guest earliriser

When it doesn't sell, I'm going to need parts. Starting with a wheel. Aparently I thought it was worth way more than it actually is.

It is also not a 1917. The windshield was first leaned back in 1920, as yours is. That stayed the same until late 22 when the radiator, hood, and cowl were made 3 1/2" taller. Also in 22 they pressed a reinforcement rib into the front inner fender panels, which yours does not have. The serial number is located on the frame crossmember just in front of the seat on the passenger side. That will allow you to find out the correct year. I would guess 1920. Post the serial number and we can tell you for sure.

Just found the listing again on Ebay. The dash board is indeed 17 or 18 but it is a different color. Couple cars put together maybe? Still thinking body is 1920.

I know of a 1918 DB roadster with extra parts that has been for sale for a long time at $3000 , last I saw was reduced to 2500. Car was very complete and has spare parts. I sold a 1919 for $2000 needing total restoration.

Edited by dwollam (see edit history)

Guest earliriser

I don't think it will draw a bid. Thats my reason for being here.........looking for a little knowledge and maybe some parts / advice.

I am pretty good with the 50's cars but this is a little different. I will get the serial # in the morning.

I have the top parts, even the wood bows tho I'll have to make new ones. I hate to rat rod something so old if I can bring it back.

Guest John1918

Apart from the sloping windshield it looks like a 1917 engine with a small serial number area plus it has a cast aluminium oil filler. The serial no will be on the ledge under the fan. Looks like it has '19-'22 priming cups. Maybe it was a 'project' a long time ago. What about the choke control, is it a conventional button-pull or a ring-pull and saw-tooth type which ratchets on to the dash panel? John

I don't think the dist is a Delco personally. The carb is a later screwed down float cover model, the vacuum tank (mount)is 24-27 ish and the generator is a GA. I don't have any knowledge, Doug, about the core plugs. I agree it is probably a "project" of days gone by. None of this is to run it down, as it looks very buildable. Correctness is great but to me it is secondary compared to getting them back on the road and running. Change the little things as they become available later. Just enjoy it! There is plenty there to build a stocker.

Guest earliriser

I really appreciate every ones input on this car. You guy's must really know your DB's.

I've been reading up on those boy's.... quite interesting.

I had a 28' A a couple years ago, I really liked that car. I bought this one thinking I could have the same "fun", but parts are hard to find as I don't know the cars. Like the wheels....... I have no idea what to look for. I know Chevrolet used a 6 lug in the 30's but I wouldn't think that their wheels would fit.

The front wheels are 6 hole 18 inch, I have not pulled the rear, "home made wheels off. Can someone tell me exactly what years and what cars wheels will fit the rear axle?

I'll post the frame and engine #'s shortly.

Thanks again

Well sir, the frame at least is indeed 1917! Must have a later body. Sometimes people heated and bent the windshield post back to look like later cars. The shaft size of the windshield post that goes into the body with the nut on the bottom got progressively larger every couple years so that is a clue also as to the body year. I have also seen people heat and STRAIGHTEN windshield post to emulate earlier cars in cases like this.

I think maybe engine is also around 17, with later pieces. Wheels and hubs should interchange up to early 22 on the rear assuming it still has the square end axle shafts and up to 1924 on the front wheels. Early cars had 25" wheels and then switched to 24" thru 1924. Rear fenders got longer as the years went on but should bolt on thru 1923. Running boards were wood covered with battleship linoleum, early cars had brown, later ones grey.

Guest earliriser

Thank you Dave, I have another set of w/shield posts that were on the trunk .

maybe they are the correct ones.

I do thank you for the wheel info, I was stumped. Now I know what to look for. Again........Thanks

Guest earliriser

Dave......... is there a website / book that I can buy that will have casting # identification info.

Seems that would be the easiest way to figure out what years all the parts that were in the trunk are.

You must have all this stuff memorized. lol

Go to Meyers or Romar and buy a reproduction service manual which contains serial numbers. What Dave did not say is that you can get Wood Spoke wheels, steel disc wheels or wire wheels for your car. If you are trying to make it original you would have wood wheels and there is a set on Ebay with hubs.

Lots of luck.

Jan

Guest earliriser

Thanks Jan, I decided to try to sell it after trying to figure out and find wheels for it. I've spent at least 24 hours this week trying to find wheels on ebay and other online places.

I can't seem to find them on ebay.

If you would message me with an item # I could send you a check for your finders fee. If this car had wheels on it........I could drive it. If I could drive it I would end my listing and keep / restore the car.

I found a set of disc type on ebay but they were chevy. Very frustrating.

Antique Wood Spoked Dodge Brothers Tire Rims - eBay (item 180431092353 end time Nov-20-09 14:06:05 PST)

Here is the ebay link. I can not tell what size the wheels are because he did not list the diameter. You could ask him. These wheels are for the front and have the proper hubs on them for the front.

I wish you luck. If you want to see closed auctions there have been several sets of tires and rims on recently. My search string is "dodge Brothers"

Happy hunting.

Well, you have a lot more there together than I have on my touring, and I'm putting mine back together. (see pics below, those front wheels on mine are Ford wheels welded to the wood spoke wheel hubs; I have wood spoked wheels to replace them. That upside-down piece in the foreground is the back half of the body) If you want to drive yours around, I'd put some used tires on those rear wheels , and drive it until you find authentic wheels. Authentic wheels could be wood spoked, like the ones previously mentioned on eBay (but those will still need the tire rims), or they could be wire spoked wheels, similar to what you have on the front (but I'm not certain those are DB correct wheels on yours). It might take some time to find them, or you might just fall over them one day. Rear fenders show up, and the running board aprons can easily be produced--the running boards are wood, so that's not hard to do either. As mentioned before, not very many roadsters out there!

DB's are known for being durable, and they're fun to drive too. You can get hooked on 'em!

David D

Oh, if you haven't heard, don't worry about a horn, the radiator says right on the front, "Dodge, Bro"! Heh heh heh!

post-40331-143138133006_thumb.jpg

post-40331-143138133007_thumb.jpg

Guest earliriser

I found a set of wood wheels from a DB standard six. 19 inch. Can anyone tell me that they fit my 17 roadster.

I'm going to be pestering you guys / gals for info . I do appreciate your time and hopefully can give you some help sometime in return.

If these will fit, I'll be rolling soon. Won't take much to be driving.

not to sound negative, but the parts that you are missing are the hardest parts to find. 1917 25"wheels are hard to find. 24" kelsey wheels are fairly common and will fit but not correct for the year. rear fenders are very hard to find. Doors are very hard to find. I have collected DB parts and cars for over 30 years and have only had a handful of roadster doors and fenders. I saw the Dodge at the auction in Arizona, I was bidding on the 1930 Chrysler. here are a few of the roadsters I owned over the years.

post-31312-143138136235_thumb.jpg

post-31312-143138136239_thumb.jpg

post-31312-143138136243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob Scafani (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oldodgeboys

Hey earliriser-

Did you give up...did you intend to start?

Link: 1917 Dodge brothers roadster

1917 Dodge brothers roadster - $3000 (Camp Verde) <hr> Date: 2009-11-29, 10:31AM MST

Reply to: sale-hzzps-1486630947@craigslist.org <sup>[Errors when replying to ads?]</sup>

<hr> here it is, motor runs but don't expect to drive it home.

no response to emails.

928-567-9092

<!-- START CLTAGS -->

I like the pict. Bob Scafani placed here, I wonder if that is him driving the roadster, looks like a pict. from the 70s, looks like a little kid driving it, is that your sister Bob in the pilots seat? Hard to make out.

Guest chopprjok

Hey,

Don't give up on your roadster, I have been working on my old speedster for 14 years now and still have a ways to go. A restored DB is special, because you can't just get online and order everything you want to finish your project tomorrow like you can with a Model A or T. Make it a family project and work on it together.

My old speedster may not ever get finished, but in the eyes of the little girl behind the wheel in the attached picture, it is the greatest car in the world. And she will be the first one to tell you that it is "her car" not daddy's.

post-52470-143138144355_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dalbrightsmith

Hi,

I have all sorts of Dodge Brothers parts that I inherited from my father, who was a Dodge Brothers enthusiast. Would be happy to see if I've got anything that would be useful to you.

Please feel welcome to email me at dalbright.smith@yahoo.com, or call (814) 571-4039.

Thanks,

Donna

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chopprjok

NearChoc

It is a V-shaped windscreen, it came on the car, I can't tell you anymore about it than that. Other than I wish it was 6 inches taller, hahaha. I usually find myself about eye level with the top cross member on it, which can be real frustrating.

Had to lay off on the restoration work a little this year. The Army had me traveling a little and the kids were into sports, but it is still running and might get driven a little this coming weekend.

I was going to try to make contact with Roy Brister this spring to see if he could help me with a few glitches, but I read his obituary on here last week, he will be a real loss to our community.

Planning to have the old speedster at some shows in the spring, so I might have some updates for ya'll soon.