what happened to the guy that....

handmedownreatta

Guest Richard D

There was a person who posted he was going to be able to get service info and schematics for the audio systems in our cars from someone at GM or Delco. Have not seen him post anything in about two months?

I have about a 60% success rate fixing the CRTs but I would like to know what goes wrong in the '90-91 Reatta IPCs. That is the most common part to go bad in those cars and when it does it reads 00 and error. I am sure some small electronic part goes out but which one? There are folks repairing these clusters but they get $ 150 and up. I normally have good used ones but if I could find out what commonly goes bad, I could repair them and sell them for less than they are getting.

Guest Richard D

Jim, Are there surface mounted devices on the IPC? I have found that in early auto CD radios I would have them work on the bench for days then when installed in the car after one or two days they would fail again. It turned out that the hot cold cycles would cause micro cracks in the solder connection from SMD to the mother board. I guess that they expanded and contracted different amounts and even after re soldering all the SMDs I could they would work for one or two months on average. This was a major problem with the first generation Sony in dash am/fm cd players.

As far as the CRT monitors may I pm you some questions I have about power supply voltages? I have two that have no high voltage of horizontal sweep, and on closer look I do not see any filament glow in the neck of the CRT.

Thank's

Richard

The user who was supposedly checking on this was The Goggi. I had been hopeful that he would deliver the "mother lode" of data for the IPC, CRT© and RIM modules but he seems to have vanished after last posting that he was awaiting the package of data from Delphi. Would be nice to hear from him(?) again to see if he ever received it, and if it includes the information I was hoping would be in the documentation he had requested.

Richard -

The 90/91 IPCS are still mostly thru-hole mounted components. I have been working (slowly - as in my very limited free time) on this very issue. There is more than one issue for sure. I am certain some are suffering from cold solder joints, or micro-fractures. Others are likely a failed component. One problem is that Delco used house numbers (re-stamps) on all transistors, voltage regulators and chips, so the industry standard numbers are all removed. This makes replacement more difficult until you can figure out the number for the replacement part.

There are also multiple types of failures. There are intermittent drop outs, hard data loss (constant 00/Error) and catastrophic failure (full blackout of cluster). The latter is almost certainly a power supply failure in all cases - either a dead voltage regulator, bad capacitors, bad diodes or a combination thereof.

The 00/Error is more complicated - I have attempted to follow the data path where the BCM data is fed into the IPC for open circuit traces or failed components, and have not yet found a common obvious problem point that would cause this. I wish I could, as I would gladly setup a cluster exchange program for forum users if I could reliably repair these units; and for less $ than what most speedo shops are charging. Right now, I have 5 failed IPC's (90/91 type) of which 4 read 00/Error and cannot yet make a firm determination on what is wrong - I suspect slightly different failures in each based on my preliminary work.

I may eat the $150 charge for one to be repaired so I can see what has been done to the unit after I get it back. The frustration this has caused me is almost enough to justify the outlay so I can peek at someone else's repair job.

As of right now, I am not working actively on the issue until after the new year - too much on my plate and with the holidays coming, I will be even busier.

KDirk

Kevin and Richard,

Richard,

You are welcome to send me an email ( preferred over the PMs ) at jfinn@cpinternet.com about the CRTs and the high voltage problem.

Kevin,

I had one IPC here that had been repaired. It had a sticker on it saying so. I thought the same thing about seeing what they fixed so I took it apart and studied it with a magnifying glass and couldn't see any signs of something being soldered in.

Jim,

Kind of surprised the repair couldn't be spotted [more] easily. There is a conformal coating on both the component and solder sides of the board, so anything that was disturbed should no longer be shiny in appearance. Unless they applied new conformal coating, which I guess is possible. Also, very few techs I have seen could make hand soldering look as good as wave soldering.

It could be a very insignificant component changed, like a resistor or diode and thus harder to spot. If it were a chip or transistor replaced, I'd think it would have industry standard markings vs. Delco part #'s making the new parts easier to pick out.

Of course, we are assuming there was soldering involved in this instance. There are ribbon cable connectors between the two boards inside the IPC, maybe a connector was replaced (these are insulation displacement header connectors, so it's possible no soldering would have been done). Just speculating here on an explanation.

KDirk