99 Riv, power problems

Dales90

Hi,

Ok, had a loss of power, engine kill, at highway speed, and goosed it home.

Seemed to die/kill fade, under load, sometimes, minor load, slight hill.

Service scan for engine soon code said needed a new mass air sensor, all plugs, wires, coil pacs checked out fine.

so, got a reman sensor, installed it, and no improvement.

Took it to Autozone to have them check the code, they said description is "low input TO the mass air sensor."

I see it looks like both front and back Ox sensors feed the mass air. Is that possible, that one or both of them are bad?

Any help appreciated.

Dale

Dale,

"B" codes are related to the body electronic systems in the car, so that code means little or nothing about the issue with the car. You would be looking for "P" codes which deal with the Powertrain Control Module and its monitored inputs and controlled outputs. You may want to have the codes scanned again concentrating on "P" codes.

Thanks,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

Ok I had autozone scan the 99, and I hope to attach a scan of the code and symptoms.

The code they got was P0102.

If that is a power code that would tie with my loss-of symptons.

Which me luck on the attachment of the scan.

Dale

no luck, scan wouldn't upload. Can you run with the code?

They suggest everything from vacuum loss, to maf and vaf, which I had never heard of.

Dale,

P0102 is a MAF sensor low fequency code, which can be caused by poor connections, vacuum leaks or a bad MAF sensor. It is a dificult code to diagnose without a scan tool, and parts get expensive if you are just trying components.

I ave never heard of a remanufactured MAF sensor, but I don't think that a good quality new one is all that much more than a questionable quality rebuilt. That being said, the problem seems to be the same with the old sensor as the replacement, so you need to check the connections for corrosion and also make sure the MAF sensor harness is routed away from any spark plug wires that could cause an erratic MAF sensor signal.

Tim