Any other fans of classic concept cars ?

Guest abh3usn

Guest abh3usn

I've always loved the wild concept cars of the 40s, 50s & 60s. You know those cars that were featured in Popular Science and the ground breaking cars like the Buick Y Job and Chrysler Turbines. Is there a collection, book or website about yesterdays future designs and or designers such as Ed Glowacke of Cadillac, Raymond Loewy and the others?

post-51317-14313813112_thumb.jpg

post-51317-143138131121_thumb.jpg

post-51317-143138131127_thumb.jpg

Back then we thought we would be rocketing around like George Jetson and living in one of those sky top condos by the year 2000. What a let down for a child of the 50's, and 60's when we finally got here. The space race was one of the greatest achievments of all time and brought about many products as a result of it that we take for granted today. The concept automobiles of the time also reflected the great space adventure that was comming. We met our goal of landing on the moon and it seems as it has been all down hill from there. Love those cool concept cars of the era. :cool: Dandy Dave!

A few years ago somewhere on a clearance rack, I picked up a book called "American Dream Cars" by Frumkin and Hall. It covers from the 1940's through early 2000 concept cars. Unfortunately it only has a few sentences and one or two pictures about each, but it covers most concept cars including many I have never even heard of.

The future looked so cool in the 1930's-60's. Now that it is here, it pretty much sucks. The old stuff is what is cool.

Some fun videos here.

Thunderbolt, The Car of the Future

41_thunderbolt1x.jpg

Larger

LeBaron crafted six Thunderbolts in 1940-41 as styling studies with full-envelope

bodies designed by Alex Tremulis and Ralph Roberts. Companion cars to the six

Newport dual-cowl phaetons, the three-abreast Thunderbolts rode on the New Yorker's

128.5" wheelbase. This 1941 example was shown at the 2009 Amelia Island Concours

by Dr. Gerard J. DePersio of Tustin, CA.

41_thunderbolt2x_125898.jpg

Larger

41_thunderbolt3x.jpg

Larger

41_thunderbolt3xa.jpg

Larger

41_thunderbolt4x.jpg

Larger

The car appeared at the West Coast Meet in San Luis Obispo, CA, in July, 2009,

with newly-freshened copper bumpers, rocker moldings and retractable top.

At the time, Gerry DePersio said it was for sale; the asking price, $1.4 million.

I believe later this summer the car was at Pebble Beach.

TG<O:p</O:p

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)