Short Spark Plugs for 1925 Master

Guest snellsf

Guest snellsf

Anyone have a Champion 6 spark plug (or plugs) for 1925 Buick Master Model 40? Just have had the car restored and one of the plugs cracked. I know I can run Autolites, but I would like to run the car with the spark plug cover in place.

Thanks for any help. Steve Snell, Oviedo, FL egawai@aol.com BCA #20766

• 1 month later...
Guest LPHFARM

HI LEON! I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION: CAN YOU RUN A STANDARD SIX WITHOUT THE SPARK PLUG COVER? I RECALL SEEING 4 LITTLE HOLES THAT SEEM TO GO INTO THE CRANKCASE BEHIND WHERE THE COVER WOULD MOUNT. WOULDN'T DIRT/CRUD GET INTO THE ENGINE? THANK YOU, KERRY AT LPHFARM@AOL.COM

Hi LPHFarm, sorry I can't help with the standard six cover. I don't know what holes you are referring to that may be behind the cover. There shouldn't be any there that would penetrate into the block. Lots of the older buicks were run without the covers as they were put aside to accomodate the newer longer spark plugs when it became hard top find the proper short ones. That is why so many of these cars are found without the covers. Leon

The holes you mentioned are also found on my 1930 Model 68 and drop through to the pushrod gallery. I have also wondered what the purpose of these are, as they do seem to be an open path to the crankcase. I can run longer plugs in the master engine with the cover on, so it does not seem to be an issue by the year 1930.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

These engines really should not be operated without the spark plug cover. Most of the oil from the rockers returns to the crankcase via the gallery covered by the spark plug cover. There are many openings under that cover for dirt to get into the crankcase and on the camshaft.

There are ridges that will keep most of the oil in place without the cover and I know many folks run these engines with missing covers. Still, it's not a great idea. Later Buicks (I think by 1930) provided covered oil return passages and then the spark plug cover became a cosmetic item.