Drivers door arm rest question

Guest northmn

Guest northmn

My arm rest has saged in from resting my arm on it.I don't know if it is a recent occurrence or it has happened gradually over time .Is this a common happening or is this due to age related deterioration like an elastic memory failure problem or a result of many years cold -hot storage? Is there anything that can be done to repair or replace the arm rest ? The passenger arm rest is fine but seldome has anyone sat their.

Bob.

Guest TRivownr

Since it is only the driver's side that has the problem, I've got to believe that its due to the fact that, over time, your arm has compressed the foam underneath the vinyl. If it was due to the age of the car, I think both sides would show the same wear.

Your options are to have your armrest recovered by Just Dashes or find a usable replacement at a wrecking yard. I know I've seen vinyl covers for the armrests of your year Riviera, but that wouldn't solve the compressed vinyl problem.

Phil Cooley

ROA 7446

85 Riviera T-Type

Guest northmn

Just talked to the auto interior shop who did my headliner. He said the problem is a combination of foam deteroration and arm pressure usage and that another arm rest from a salvage yard may very well suffer from the same problem.He said there is a special foam product to repair the problem and wants me to remove the inner pannel for bench repairs.This appears to be the only option for now.I know the odd are next to ZERO of ever finding a new arm rest for this generation Riviera.

sosuzguy, you're really into those Riviera's. My armrest is holding out so far, but I drive the car a lot on tours, so I'd like to know more about this fix your upholstery guy has, also, Mr. Lyons.

On my '71 Riviera, the vinyl just cracked up. So, I sent the door panels to "Just Dashes" in California. They can fix it like new, all right, but they'll clean your clock (as in bank account) doing it. But, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Guest northmn

Yes I will keep you all posted on this one. I'll try and get the inner pannel off & up to him this week. He's way up north from here1hr drive.

Bob.