Removed radiator and water pumps

Guest Harry Connors

Guest Harry Connors

I had a chance to spend some time working on the 48 Connie Coupe today and took the radiator and water pumps out - I wanted to back flush the radiator and send the water pumps off to some one to have modernized with the newer vanes I have read about. Any recommendations are welcomed. I will have to take the radiator to the Auto Hobby shop and use their pressure hot water hose to clean the radiator out. The anti-freeze fluid that was in it did not look bad and there was very little rust or calcium build up evidence anywhere.

It was an interesting experience taking the fan blade unit off as everything is covered in thick dirt. It must take a special 1/2 wrench to get on those 1/2 inch bolt heads under the pulley on the water pumps. I got them out but it took a lot of time and effort. Any tips on doing it easier are also welcomed. Harry

Skip's (Fords-r-us) does a good job on rebuilding and up-dating water pumps. Those fan bolts can be a challenge as so little of the extended head is assessible. You might want to use internal wrenching ( Allen head) bolts to replace them. Once the hex heads on the originals are "rounded" off they are almost impossible to remove.

Guest nasmith

Perhaps the fan bolts are incorrect. The correct bolts have a very deep head - perhaps 1/2 half inch deep or more. The bolts on my '40 are relatively easy to remove, particularly if I remove the distributor first. Hope this is helpful.

Norm

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks for the information. Norm I have the long headed head bolts on mine. I though about removing the distributor but I do not know enough about it yet to be messing with it. The big problem was the heavy layer of dirt - not much oil or grease but dirt that was caked in around everything. I got to the bolts by turning the fan/engine to a certain point at about the 1430 position and that let me get to them. It still took a while. Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks to everyone for the reply. I have to clean some of the dirt off of the pumps still before I send to Skip. It is amazing that the color is still a nice Lincoln green under all of that dirt.

Thanks for the Coil information as that was going to be on the coil. I have several extras and some that appear to be new. Is there a way to check them? Thanks again everyone Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks again to everyone for the information. I just sent an email to Skip letting him know that I will be mailing him my water pumps and a coil for rebuild.

Is the water valve/diverter required to get the water to the rear of the engine required with his pumps? If so does anyone know where to get them as there were none in my engine. Thanks again all Harry

Opinions vary on the effectiveness of the divertors but Ford put them in for a reason probably to improve and even up circulation to the rear cylinders especially during low rpm operation. Earle Brown has replacement divertors. I suspect the original divertors got lost/forgotten during a rebuild.

Guest Frenchy32

I had Skip rebuild 2 sets of water pumps for me and rewinding my coil to 12 volts Skip is the best and very resonable and quick turn around.

Frenchy

Is the water valve/diverter required to get the water to the rear of the engine required with his pumps? If so does anyone know where to get them as there were none in my engine. Thanks again all Harry

I asked Skip this question when he had the pumps from my '47 earlier this year and he stated that he did not recommend re-installing the water diverters with pumps that he has rebuilt..