Sign in to follow this  
Dave@Moon

The 10 All-Time Most Attactive Pickup Trucks

Couple more ideas -

The 1960-'64 (?) Ford "unit-body" pick-ups ( box is one unit with the cab)

1948-'52 Ford

'28-'29 Ford AA "Express Truck" ( Like the one on "The Waltons" )

'33-'39 Hudson - Terraplane pick-ups.

'33-'35 Chevy 1/2-ton

'33-'35 Dodge ( gotta love the "suicide" doors!)

'42-'48 Nash pick-up ( there were at least protoypes; Ambassador chassis)

'26-'27 Model T "roadster-pickup" (wire-wheels, please ! )

A lot of you guys are cheating on the concept here. My list included no car body sourced trucks. I don't think there's any way a "real truck" could compete aesthetically with a Ranchero, El Camino, Hudson/Terraplane, or other "trucks" where the front clip comes right off of the passenger car line. Of course those vehicles look better. Cars have to. The appearance of trucks was never the priority it was for cars (excepting maybe the last 10 years).

One exception: those LTD II sourced Rancheros from the late 1970s. They were a design disaster as cars, let alone carving the back out into a pickup!:eek:

The Studebaker R-Series would've been on my list as well, but I never liked how tack-ed on the apron/grille panel looked. Most of the time it's painted a separate color, which even emphasizes the tack-on look more.

I sort of agree with you Dave on the 54 shown (thats scary), as the earlier trucks like the 49 in the ad below with the solid color grill with painted grill bars are a bit cleaner.

Bill

51studebakerpickup.jpg

Bill

1: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

2: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

3: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

4: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

5: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

6: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

7: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

8: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

9: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

10: 1961 Ford F-100 Unibody

The fact that I own one of these has no bearing on any obvious bias on my part.

:)

I'll defend the "car-based" trucks such as the Stude "Coupe Express", Hudson - Terraplane trucks, Willys-Overland... they differ from the El Camino / Ranchero class vehicles in that they are "true" pick-ups, with a separate "express" box, as opposed to the "decapitated station-wagon" look of the EC / Rancho.

I would not include mutts like Chevy's "Expediter Coupe", and similar offerings from Stude and Hudson-Terraplane, that were essentially coupes with the deck=lid removed and a small pick-up box stuck in the opening... they are neat in their own right, but not true pick-ups.

And if we disqualify all trucks that shared sheetmetal with passenger cars, then there go the early Ford PUs ( B's, A's and T's)... and the '40 -'41 Ford PU too, I guess.

I have always liked the '56 Ford F-100, with its wraparound windshield. Same with the '61 and '62 Ford unibody F-100 pickup. '67 and '68 Chevy pickups look great. So does the '88 Chevy pickup (four square headlights). And I'll risk ridicule for this, but I also really like the '62-'64 Studebaker Champ pickup, 1/2 ton, with long, wide box. The box was used previously by Dodge and Studebaker revised the front box panel and tailgate (obviously). While the bed was too wide for the Studebaker cab, it gave them a box that would hold a 4' by 8' sheet of plywood (the 'standard' back then) and I believe the shape of the wheel openings and also the feature lines, actually match the Studebaker cab better than they did the Dodge cab it had been used on! If you look at a stock one, particularly with whitewalls and the stock Studebaker chrome moon hubcaps, it now looks contemporary compared to other pickups of the same era.

Bill

My favourite all time....

1955-chevy-pickup.jpg

This is the stlye truck my wife likes.

Thanks to you and others for posting pictures.

Some of my favorites (non antique) are the Centurion series trucks that were authorized by both Ford and Chevy and sold at the dealership. Here is my 97 Chevy Centurion 4-door that was special made as 3 doors with an extended cab were the latest and greatest in the day.

post-30758-143138130671_thumb.jpg

the 1948 tucker

A 1948 Tucker pickup? :eek: How's about a picture, cuz I ain't never see'd one of them aforn. ;) Dandy Dave!

A lot of you guys are cheating on the concept here. My list included no car body sourced trucks. I don't think there's any way a "real truck" could compete aesthetically with a Ranchero, El Camino, Hudson/Terraplane, or other "trucks" where the front clip comes right off of the passenger car line. Of course those vehicles look better. Cars have to. The appearance of trucks was never the priority it was for cars (excepting maybe the last 10 years).

One exception: those LTD II sourced Rancheros from the late 1970s. They were a design disaster as cars, let alone carving the back out into a pickup!:eek:

I agree, Rancheros and ElCaminos are not pick ups. They are car based, and have way more in common with the car they are based on than a pick up.

However, I strongly disagree with the LTD II comment. The LTD II Rancheros were much sportier and more attractive than the Torino or Falcon based Rancheros except for the 1970-71 Torino Ranchero.

My vote for most attractive p/u is the 1957 Dodge Sweptside

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

My vote for most attractive p/u is the 1957 Dodge Sweptside

Well, aren't the Dodge "swept-sides" car-based, as they use the rear quarters from a Dodge station wagon, grafted onto the Dodge step-side box ?

;)

Well, aren't the Dodge "swept-sides" car-based, as they use the rear quarters from a Dodge station wagon, grafted onto the Dodge step-side box ?

;)

Yes, but if you look at history, a lot of trucks were car based at first. I should correct myself...the Sweptside was not car based. It was a truck with car fenders. I would consider an El Camino or Ranchero "car based".

1937 Studebaker coupe express pickup.

That has to be one of the slickest-looking pick-ups I've ever seen !

Love the old-time mirror-arm sticking-out from the driver's side door hinge !

That has to be one of the slickest-looking pick-ups I've ever seen !

Love the old-time mirror-arm sticking-out from the driver's side door hinge !

I think it's the cutest truck ever. Even rusty it's cute.

post-37352-143138131236_thumb.jpg

;)

No it is different. A Ranchero or ElCamino is based on the car or station wagon. Parts are interchangeable with the car it is based on.

A Dodge Sweptside is based on the Dodge pick up. While the rear quarterpanels came from the Dodge wagon (and I think those are modified, you can't just replace them with ones from a Dodge wagon, but I am not 100% sure on that.) the rest of the truck is based on the truck and does not have interchangeable parts with the Dodge wagon or any Dodge cars.

1937 Studebaker coupe express pickup.

I didn't include the early Studebakers or 1940 Fords (among others) because they used car body sheet metal.

It's stupid, but if I eliminated the El Caminos I thought I'd have to eliminate these as well.

No it is different. A Ranchero or ElCamino is based on the car or station wagon. Parts are interchangeable with the car it is based on.

A Dodge Sweptside is based on the Dodge pick up. While the rear quarterpanels came from the Dodge wagon (and I think those are modified, you can't just replace them with ones from a Dodge wagon, but I am not 100% sure on that.) the rest of the truck is based on the truck and does not have interchangeable parts with the Dodge wagon or any Dodge cars.

I was waiting for this one...;)

Yes, they are modified as they were lenthend in the Dodge special equipment group shop. You cannot just pull the rear fenders from a Dodge 2 door wagon and bolt them to the truck sides as they are too short. It was built to be a truck and built on a truck chassies. It shares only part of the car fender. Tail lights, and rear bumper. :cool: Dandy Dave!

MY pick is the 60-63 GMC and Chevy I like the curved glass and I'm parchall to the big V-6 as you can see.

The next one I will probaly buy is a 58-59 GMC because she just looks Tough!