Mechanic needed in Southern SC OR Southern California - '90 Reatta

Guest AJMorgan

Guest AJMorgan

Hello all - been awhile since I've posted (so long actually that I couldn't remember my username or password). Have a potentially odd question for ya'all....

I have a '90 convertible that needs some TLC - I have a cylinder firing low, a possible head gasket replacement, and some weather stripping to replace. 135K+. Remainder of car in great shape. All of this was diagnosed just scant weeks before getting a job on the road full time, so its now sitting bereft at my house. I would love to find a mechanic in southern SC who can overhaul this car and get it back in shape but am on the road full time for work.

Does anyone on the forum have a recommendation in the Hilton Head Island, SC vicinity for a mechanic that can be trusted to work remotely?

The other option is to ship it to where I am in SoCal and find a mechanic in the vicinity of Marina del Rey/Irvine. So I am open to suggestions there as well....

I hate for it to continue to sit and essentially rot - I love this car and miss driving it....any suggestions?

Guest steveskyhawk

I have six cars now and have always used a shop in San Dimas called John Harrington Automotive. Nothing ever seems to be a problem not even the Teves brakes. He is honest and really good at what he does. I have a large supply of those speciality Reatta parts in case you need a hard to find item.

Guest Richard D

If you don't find any members recommending someone near Hilton Head try cartalk.com They have a section where customers can recommend or tell you to stay away from a shop in or near your zip code. I found a hidden shop less than a mile from my house with all very positive recommedations and has always had the car ready when promised, price has always been the estimate OR LOWER and gives me a ride home and picks me up. Three man shop, the owner is a young guy in his mid twentys and does everything from rebuilding Lexus 32 valve V8s to finding a vacuum leak in my Reatta, no charge. Give Car Talk. Car tips, advice, and troubleshooting. a try.