Dodge 1937

Guest claudiu1988

Hello, I have a new problem, found on ebay to kind of rims, both seller say they are from a 37 dodge. What do you say? Did the dodge 1937 had more models of rims?

I think the bottom (#2 - black) wheel in your photos is the correct one to look for. Check this eBay auction for some level of confirmation.

1937 1946 DODGE 16 INCH WHEELS COUPE CONVERTIBLE SEDAN: eBay Motors (item 360264962009 end time May-31-10 18:30:00 PDT)

These two wheels look just like the bottom one. The top wheel just does not look right in my experience. The rim seems wrong and the slots are too small.

Good luck!

Guest claudiu1988

Hello,

It's not too late at all, thanks very much for the help, I really need it. I didn't buy the rear chrysler axle, and also I didn't buy the heeters because they were broken, I will buy one from ebay that is in good condition.

I have an other question, I recently found a 1946 dodge, It has the original rims and axles, are they good for my car? A fellow colleg from the forum told me that the engine, and axles are aproximatlu the some on 1937-1952 Dodges. What do you say?

Normaly I would like to buy them from USA but the transport to Romania is killing me, for example I pay 200$ for the axles and the transport + taxes is 1500 $ or more. That is why am am asking so many questions about different models of dodges. Hope I am not killing you :) whit my questions

Hello Claudiu1988,

Yes, the '35-early 50's Dodge drive line stuff is all very similar. It is mainly a decision on your part as to how close you want to stay to all '37 parts AND how much time you want to let go by before deciding on buying particular parts. If you keep looking I'm sure you will come up with very specific parts, but it may take a while. It is a balancing act.

I am not absolutely sure about going all the way to '47 for the axles. Dodge seemed to do a lot of "testing" and "changing" of suspension parts. You will see changes, for example, from round "tube" front axles to "I-beam" solid axles and back to "tube" depending on the years. There will be changes in the brake set-up within those axles over the years and so on. SO, I would try to stay as close to '37 as possible. Now for the real answer to your question - I don't know. I do not have a good interchange manual so it is hard for me to address the differences in axles very much. Maybe there is a member out there that runs an old junk yard that would be more helpful with interchanges.

A lot of time, the stuff will "fit" but is pretty far off from the actual '37 parts. I get the impression you are trying to stay more '37 accurate and not just "make it work".

The engine you showed in photos back in post #29 is the way to go! Were you able to get your hands on that one? Or did it slip by? That engine, bell housing, transmission and drive shaft are all what you need! Hope you got them.

I totally understand about shipping stuff over from the USA. It would get you the right parts BUT would "break-the-bank" in the process. Say, did you ever look at or consider doing a shipment from the USA just ONE TIME? Hunt around in ads over here and see if you can find a rather complete non-running "parts car". Then have the whole thing put in a container and shipped over there once. That way you would have access to MANY of these large correct parts all at the same time. And there would be a lot of smaller parts also on it that I am sure would be useful along the way. I have no idea what that would cost but it seems as though it would be cheaper in the long run than doing a bunch of smaller over seas shipments. Just a thought.

I will try to see if I can find out more about axle interchange but don't wait on me before you take action or make decisions. It may be a while. I do not know if I have access to the right sources over here to be able to get a better answer for you.

Good luck!

Hey Claudiu,

Here is a link to the description of an "Interchange Manual" that will help you out extensively.

https://hollanderinterchange.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28&osCsid=31c14cc38b4aa9618d66f4b32b1ed83a

This is for the "Hollander Interchange Classic Search Manual I" that will help you find interchange information on American cars from 1920's to 1948.

Using the ISBN number you may be able to find this item in a library or reference book seller's shop too.

1936 D2. I am continually impressed with your very detailed responces and advice. We need more like you on these forum. (Even if you won't include my 36 DB pickup!) lol !

Thank you and keep up the good work!

• 1 month later...
Guest claudiu1988

Tahnks a lot 1936 D2 for the help, I will try to find a 1937 dodge or plymouth in Romania so the car will stay original. I found something, but I need to talk to the owner, he is abroad and his telefone is shutdown.

I now want to buy for my car the exterior and interior rubber parts, can you tell me where to buy them from, I want to buy them all at once, because it's easyer for me. I you know someone please let me know.

Claudiu1988,

Finding a parts car over there would be good if you can do it!

There are a couple places that I have had the most luck finding rubber parts. Some parts are for the same pieces at each business but the quality may be different. Some parts will only be listed at one or the other business. First I would try "Steele Rubber" in North Carolina at: www.steelerubber.com - Automotive rubber parts and weatherstripping for restoration cars, trucks and street rods.

They probably have the most parts - of the best quality - for your car.

If they do not have them all try:

"Metro Moulded Parts Inc" in Minnesota at: Metro Moulded Parts Inc. Automotive Weatherstrip and Rubber Parts

This is also a good shop. (Their history is interesting.)

Both ship internationally.

Be alert though! I have had trouble with some parts from both vendors being for the correct year vehicle. This was more of a problem say 15 years ago than now - but still - know what you need before ordering! Ask a lot of questions, both of '37 Dodge owners before you buy and from the particular parts vendors as you order. Get some assurance you have the right parts! This particularly applies to "General" or "one size fits all" or "covers 1932 to 1942" type parts. Those can be close but not exact. They will be nothing but a headache! Try to find parts SPECIFICALLY for '37 Dodge 4Dr Touring Sedan use.

I have also recently seen a person parting out cars in North Dakota and he has a '37 Dodge there. Maybe he would have something you need that can be shipped. He has international shipping listed on some of his sales. Usually smaller parts I think. Check this listing at: 1937 Dodge 4 Door Sedan Rear Doors Left or Right: eBay Motors (item 270202537395 end time Jul-28-10 12:42:19 PDT) and maybe send him an "Ask Question" to see if he can list what you need.

Good luck over there! Post some photos once in a while so we can see how you are doing!

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest claudiu1988

Thanks again for your help. I also sent a message to the 1937 dodge owner on ebay.

I have a new question. What is the difference between the 1937 dodge series D-5 D-6 D-7?

Guest Bill-W
Thanks again for your help. I also sent a message to the 1937 dodge owner on ebay.

I have a new question. What is the difference between the 1937 dodge series D-5 D-6 D-7?

D5 - 115" wheelbase (LWB sedans - 132"), 217.8-cid flathead six. The model sold in the U.S. In Canada it was sold as the Custom Six.

D6 - Export model based on the Plymouth - Plymouth body with Dodge front clip. 112"wheelbase (132" for LWB sedans). 201.3-cid six. Available in all Plymouth body styles. Sold in Canada, with the Plymouth Business interior as the Six but only as coupes and sedans.

D7 - Canadian model - same body as the D6 (112" wheelbase) but with Plymouth DeLuxe interiors. Sold as the DeLuxe Six. No convertibles or LWB sedans.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest claudiu1988

Thanks for the info. They help a lot. :)

I studyed some photos an the net and I sow that 1937 dodge's don't have this trunk pad, did they have this pad in 37??? I will buy it becase I think it's good for the emblem, but I want to know for sure if they existed back then.

The same question for this 2 pads.

post-64712-143138255746_thumb.jpg

post-64712-14313825575_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138255752_thumb.jpg

Guest claudiu1988

It's a D5

Here are the rear tail lights that I want to buy for my car. The lenses are marked HILITE.

post-64712-143138259247_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138259249_thumb.jpg

post-64712-14313825925_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138259252_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest claudiu1988

Found this rear axle on a 38 dodge, is it original to the car? And I have an other request if possible I want some good photos whit a rear axle dodge 37 and dodge 38. Here are photos whit the car. (this are the kind of cars I find in Romania):mad:

post-64712-143138274368_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138274381_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138274391_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138274402_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138274413_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138274423_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138274434_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138274445_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Found this rear axle on a 38 dodge, is it original to the car? And I have an other request if possible I want some good photos whit a rear axle dodge 37 and dodge 38. Here are photos whit the car. (this are the kind of cars I find in Romania):mad:

It's been a while so I guess I will have to try and speak for the '37 guys who do not seem to be responding here!

I have found a "Hollander" parts interchange manual (16th Edition - 1978 reprint of 1950 data). The interchange info for rear differentials is pretty complicated but I will reprint it here and maybe you can make something out of the data.

This listing covers interchanges of differential cases, spider pinions (Sp. Pin.), side gears (S. Gr.), and pinion shafts (Pin. Sh.). The listing is divided into three parts. The first part is the Index where cars are listed in alphabetical order and the Hollander Interchange Number is given.

Here is the Index for your car:

Dodge '37-'48 except 7 Passenger... 298

The second part is the Interchange where cars are listed under the interchange numbers.

Here is the Interchange for your car:

298:

W1229-3 Pin. Sh.

W1229-4 S. Gr. 10 Spline

W1229-5 S. Pin.

A: Use W1229 and W1229A Cases

(Note: W1229A case used with 39-10 and 39-11 ratios.) >I think they are speaking about the number of teeth in the ring gear and the pinion concerning these ratios.<

Chrysler '37-48 6 cyl (except 7 Passenger)

DeSoto '37-48 (except 7 Pass.)

Dodge '37-48 (except 7 Pass.)

Dodge '37-47 1/2 Ton truck to # 81126289

Dodge '37-47 3/4 Ton truck to # 83300001

Plymouth '37-48 (except 7 Pass.)

Plymouth '37-42 Commercial

Plymouth '40-45 U.S. Army Sedan

B: Uses 1092041 Case

Dodge '47 WC after # 81126289. WD after # 83300001 1/2-3/4 Ton truck

369:

W1229 Case

W1229-3 Pin. Sh.

W1229-4 S. Gr.

W1229-5 Sp. Pin.

Dodge '41-42 T-118 1&1/2 Ton truck 4x2

The third shows Parts which Interchange from one number to another. When A, B, C, etc. are used, it means the cars use the same differential parts except for the certain part listed under A, B, C, etc. (These interchange sections do not cover ring gears and pinions or carrier assemblies.)

Here is the Parts Interchange for your car:

W1229 - 298, 369

W1229A - 298

W1229-3 - 298, 369

W1229-4 - 298, 369

W1229-5 - 298, 369

I also know the 5 Pass. Sedans, and the 5 Pass. Touring Sedans have a specific rear gear ratio (4.125/1) which is different from the Coupes (3.88/1), Exports (4.875/1), D2X Model (4.875/1) and the 7 Passenger Sedan (4.33/1). So it is best to stay with differentials from Sedans so as not to have to change the ring gear and pinion to get the right ratio. If you need pinion and ring gear info I think I can find that too BUT it is even MORE complicated than the above application info. So, again, I suggest you stick to a Sedan differential from one of the listed interchange cars above and avoid that mess.

All-in-all, I think you would do just fine with the differential from the '38 Dodge in the photos on post #96. The wire wheels are wrong (older I think - like '34 or earlier) but as long as they did not modify the axle hubs to make those wheels work, you should be excellent with that differential!

So, I know this all sounds a bit hard to understand, but if you read it enough it starts to make sense. I have trimmed down the massive information in the book to just the parts that apply to your car so it is a bit easier to deal with.

I wish I could get some photos of the rear differentials in the above listed models. That would make this much easier to work with but I do not have access to those vehicles. In the prior photos you posted I'm guessing you should be good with the '38's rear differential. It had the correct bolt up pattern for the Universal Joint so I think that would be the way to go considering hearing about the parts you have found so far.

How about posting some overall shots of what you have done so far? We are all curious as to how it is progressing!

Good luck!

Edited by 1936 D2
Additional data. (see edit history)

Here is a picture of a 37 Dodge rear end (no mine). Sorry but I have not been active but I know I should be. Thanks to 1936 D2 (Art) he emailed me and got my attention that Claudiu1988 could use some help. I have many other pictures already and I can go out and take some more when I have a chance.

post-42992-143138314332_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest claudiu1988

Tahnks 1936 D2 for the help, you have given me a lot of very good information. I didn't buy the 1938 Dodge because it was in really poor shape and quite expensive. I found these days a 1939 complete export plymouth, the price is 1000 E not so much but the problem is that the car si 800 km from me. I also have someone who told me he has a rear axle from a chrysler car from 1937-38.

And I think I will make a new thread whit the old american cars still here in romania. What do you say?

Guest claudiu1988
Here is a picture of a 37 Dodge rear end (no mine). Sorry but I have not been active but I know I should be. Thanks to 1936 D2 (Art) he emailed me and got my attention that Claudiu1988 could use some help. I have many other pictures already and I can go out and take some more when I have a chance.

Tahnks for the picture, If you want you can post the pictures here on the forum, I am interested in pictures whit the interior of the car, rear light and more pictures of the rear axle (front, back, every angle) because here in Romania we have a lot of rear axles that resemble the dodge axle.

For the moment I didn't start to restore the car because I still need some key pieces like the rear axle and rims.

Hi Claudiu,

Wondered where you've been!

I am thinking the guy with the Chrysler axle may be a way to go for you, if it is in good shape. (Why was it taken off the car in the first place? That would be good to know.) I also think the "Export" '39 Plymouth axle would be the best shot just because it is an "Export" vehicle too.

A thing to remember here is that the interchange information (info) I gave you is for US built cars - not "for Export". So if you are looking for parts, and you have a "for Export" built car (which you do), you may want to be aware of any minor changes between "Export" and "Domestic" models' parts. In other words, if the Chrysler parts you are looking at are "Domestic" and your car is "for Export", there may be some slight differences in the parts not taken into account in the interchange info I sent earlier. (That information is ALL "Domestic" car information.) I think there were some slight differences in gear ratios for "Domestic" and "Export" vehicles. The cases are probably the same but the inside gears may be different. One of the guys with a '37 parts manual MAY be able to see some of these differences in the gear ratios listed in their parts books. ("37DodgeSedan" - are you still out there?)

I also think the 1939 "Export" Plymouth MAY be about one year too new for you to get much off of it that is a direct interchange for your '37's body parts. If the interchange listed for US built "Domestic" cars is any indication of the interchange for "Export" cars, the '39 is NOT listed as interchangeable, as I recall, for BODY parts. It DOES seem to be OK though for the rear axle stuff. The '37-'38 Chrysler axle is also listed as interchangeable (as long as it is from a 6 cylinder model and also NOT a 7 passenger sedan). Also, its right rear fender is an interchange for your '37. If the guy who has the Chrysler axle remembers where the rest of the car is, you may be able to find the right rear fender too! (A bonus!) Again, these are DOMESTIC listings of interchangeability. SO... the short story is, if the rear axle IS available from the "Export" Plymouth, THAT may be your best deal.

If "37DodgeSedan" is still listening out there, he may be able to post the pictures you are asking about before it gets too cold and snowy over here. (Unless "37DS" is in sunny So CA. Then it doesn't matter! :P )

On the idea of a new thread about all the American cars you have found over there, I think that would be a good idea! That is kind of interesting information to us over here in the US - to see how many of our cars are in Romania - what kind of shape they are in and how much interest there is in doing proper restorations on these vehicles. All that information would detract from your current thread here about your restoration project. It would be appropriate to start a different thread on this "new" subject and see where it leads. ;)

If there are any others out there that have opinions on this interchange info for Claudiu, please speak up. I definitely am not an authority on this stuff, just giving info from a US Domestic Cars interchange manual and sliding in some of my own "opinions" along the way.

Good luck with your project, Claudiu! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest claudiu1988

I started the new topic whit old american cars from Romania:

http://forums.aaca.org/f217/american-old-cars-romania-291082.html

First I will post the unrestored cars that I found here and after that I will post the restored ones.

Thanks for the new info about domestic and export cars, I will try to find more info here in Romania, I have a person that had a lot of old cars and I think he knows something regarding this problem. Also I found some rear fenders from a 1938 plymouth, I will go tommorow to see them. I don't think I will buy the 29 export plymouth because it's quite expensive the car is 1400 $ + 800 $ the transport. If the seller makes a discount I will pay 800 $ for the car + 800 $ transport.

I bought from ebay recently a lighter for the dash, a heater in good condition and a rear light for the registration number.

That is all for the moment. I will let you know what I will do tommorow. :)

Edited by claudiu1988 (see edit history)

Guest claudiu1988

Found a steering column and with steering box, outside tube , dash mounting bracket and steering wheel from a 1937 Dodge coupe, I think they will fit perfectly on my dodge, what do you think? is there a difference between the steering column of a sedan and the steering column of a coupe. Also found the hand breack, and pedals. That's all for now. :)

Guest claudiu1988

Hello just recived the heater, it's in great shape and it works. I just have a question how do you turn it off/on. Do you have a button on the dash, o a button under the dash? Here are pictures:

I will also buy other pieces a steering wheel + all the components and a hand break.

post-64712-143138361341_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138361344_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138361345_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Tahnks a lot 1936 D2 for the help, I will try to find a 1937 dodge or plymouth in Romania so the car will stay original. I found something, but I need to talk to the owner, he is abroad and his telefone is shutdown.

I now want to buy for my car the exterior and interior rubber parts, can you tell me where to buy them from, I want to buy them all at once, because it's easyer for me. I you know someone please let me know.

For rubberparts weatherstrips & vintage tires :

• 6 months later...
Guest claudiu1988

Hello, I am back, I was away for 5 months, and I didn't have internet. I am navy man.

I sow that I didnt't post here my last aquisitions, just before I went on the seas. I bought an original dodge steering wheel and a hand breack. Now may be next month I will buy a rear axle, I found one here in romania but I don't know if it can be fixed. The exterior casing of the rear axel was broaken, I don't know how. i will put now photos whit what I bought. Also now I started to dismantel my car I will make photos and I will post them here.

post-64712-143138680543_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138680563_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138680583_thumb.jpg

Guest claudiu1988

Photos whit the rear and front axles I found, they are from a 1938 plymouth. I wanted to ask you, can the rear axle be repaired???

post-64712-143138680584_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138680606_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138680627_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138680649_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138680671_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138680677_thumb.jpg

post-64712-143138680682_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...