Dodge 1937

Guest claudiu1988

Guest claudiu1988

Hello,

I am from Romania, I like old cars especialy american old cars, I just bought a 1937 Dodge, not in very good shape but it's OK, here in Romania is hard to find old cars in good shape because we had 45 years of communism. Between 1930-1941 Romania was growing and the people started having money and they bought a lot of cars especilly american: Buick, Dodge, Plymouth, Ford (even had a factory in Romania)but after the ww2 Communism took over Romania and all the non comunist were taken to jail and had their proprieties confiscated. So they could not buy new cars, only communist cars but not very easy, so the rest of the population who had pre ww2 cars had to keep them, so these cars had to work and here comes the ugly part, all of the cars after years and years had thei engine removed and they put russian engines, and other modifications. For example my car has a gaz 21 engine and other gaz parts, this car runned until the late 1980's. So no more talking here are the pictures with the car.

I also want your help, because here in romania i can't find all the pieses, I am interested in finding an engine because here is hard, I saw a lot of pieces on ebay, and I will start buying. Please post pictures with all the pieces. I want to restor the car to it's former glory. Also the car has the lights and crom pieces.

An other interesting thing it's that the car is a dodge 1937 and has Plymouth emblems, someone told me that this was common in the period in Europe, dodge sold as plymouth and other.

dsc0001vs.jpgw640.png

dsc0176iu.jpgw640.png

dsc0172y.jpgw640.png

Edited by claudiu1988 (see edit history)

Thats a neat looking car and I hope you enjoy your time with it, might be cheaper to buy an entire parts car from here in the U.S rather than scrounging for a little at a time though. It will cost a little up front but it will prob. save you big at the end. Give you most of what you need all in one shot if you find the right car. Good luck again

There are many chances to find a suitable engine. The same side valve, six cylinder engine was used from 1937 until 1959 in Plymouth and Dodge cars and light trucks. Hundreds of thousands of Dodge military trucks used this engine during WW2. The same engine was also made for stationary machinery, farm machinery and for boat engines. Some of these may still be found in Europe.

Guest claudiu1988

Thanks for the tip I didn't know that from 1937 until 1959 dodge and plymouth used the same engine. I found this engine it;s from an 1947 Plymouth. It"s ok for my model? If so I am thincking to buy it.

Here are the photos:

bjohimkkgrhgookieejllmf.jpgw800.png

bjotwmkkgrhgookkmejllmy.jpgw800.png

bjorvbgkkgrhgookkiejllm.jpgw800.png

bjopubwkkgrhgookjqejllm.jpgw800.png

Edited by claudiu1988 (see edit history)

What is the serial number of the engine? It is stamped on the engine block, on the left side, at the top, near the front of the engine.

A 1946, 47 or 48 Plymouth will be stamped P15 XXXX (the XXXX represents the individual engine's number).

Also you can measure the length of the engine at the cylinder head. The Plymouth and Dodge engine measures 23 inches (58.42cm). The DeSoto and Chrysler engines measure 25 1/4 inches (64.14 cm).

Plymouths made in Canada used the DeSoto/Chrysler engine block so it is possible a Plymouth engine could have the long block. Many Canadian made Plymouths were exported.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest claudiu1988

The serial number of the engine is: P-15 275064, so it's a 46-48 Plymouth engine. I will also tell the seller to mesure the length of the engine at the cylinder head. So do you think it could be a good engine for my car, I really want my car to be restored correctly, but I don't mind a 46-48 engine as long as they were identical as the 37 one.

There were some improvements made over that time. But only an expert could tell the difference.

Here is a good joke. The 1937 Dodge had a 217 cu in 87HP engine. While the 1937 Plymouth had a 201 cu in 82HP engine. But the P15 engine is a 217 cu in 95HP engine.

In other words, the P15 Plymouth engine is a perfect match in engine displacement, but with a few extra horsepower.

Unless you happen to find a 1937 Dodge engine, you are not going to find a closer match than that.

Here is an interesting page showing photos of the 1937 Plymouth as it appeared when new.

1937 Plymouth cars - the "luxury Plymouth"

Notice that the instrument panel is identical to your car.

This suggests that your car was actually a Plymouth with Dodge badges. This was a common practice in export markets. Many Plymouths were sold ad Dodge, DeSoto and even Chrysler.

Here is an interesting page showing photos of the 1937 Plymouth as it appeared when new.

1937 Plymouth cars - the "luxury Plymouth"

Notice that the instrument panel is identical to your car.

This suggests that your car was actually a Plymouth with Dodge badges. This was a common practice in export markets. Many Plymouths were sold ad Dodge, DeSoto and even Chrysler.

The '37 Dodge dashboard is nearly the same as the Plymouth.

post-37352-143138131796_thumb.jpg

I found a picture of a US made 37 Dodge and the dashboard is the same.

http://www.classyauto.com/image.php?image_id=325058

So there is a question in my mind if your car is an export spec car, and where it was made?

Are there any identification plates on the firewall or door posts?

The US and Canadian Dodges were Model D5. There were also export model D6 and D7. They differed slightly from the US and Canadian models, which differed slightly from each other.

On closer examination the Plymouth has 2 round gauges while the Dodge has a single oblong gauge cluster.Claudiu's car shows 2 round gauges. But they are suspiciously new looking, and are probably replacements. So this leaves us back where we started unless he can find some clue as to where the car was made or what model it is.

It is even possible the car was assembled in Europe. Chrysler had an assembly plant at Kew in England at that time and I think they may have had another in Belgium or Germany.

Keiser i think it was the other way ,export plymouths, with either dodge chrysler or desoto badges , the rest of the car was usualy pure plymouth, i have owned two , a 37 chrysler badged plymouth, even the grill was plymouth , and still own a 54 desoto diplomat , at least it has a desoto grill .the plymouth was a cheaper car but the other brands sold much better in overseas markets so they rebadged plymouths to suit the market . the car in question to me is a 37 dodge which has been modified in the past , the h/lights are not original , the steering wheel is 1950,s also the instrument panel is not 37 dodge , the differential shown in the car is also not a chrysler product , they didn,t make split diffs. i,m sorry if i sound to negative but the owner did say he would like it to be original, unless the front suspenssion has been altered it should be relatively easy to tell if it is plymouth bodied or dodge, plymouth had a wheelbase of 112' and the dodge was 115'

Guest claudiu1988

Thanks guys for the help. I think I will buy the P15 dodge engine because it's fits real great. Also my car is a dodge 1937 I found in the garage the original instrument panel ( I will put pictures later). The steering wheel and the differential are from a Volga Gaz 21 (a lot of the cars from the 30-40 in Romania have them). I will also post pictures this week with the other pieces I have found in the garage. I can't mesure now the wheelbase because my car is at 400 km distance from me at my grandparents house, at home I don't have a place to put the car until next year. :)

There is one other point that I did not want to bring up but it might be important. Canadian made Dodges and Plymouths used a different engine than US made Dodges and Plymouths. The Canadian engine is longer. This is the 23 inch 25 1/4 inch measurement.

Both engines will interchange but you might have to move the motor mounts. In some cars the frames are drilled for both locations.

This is why it is important to know exactly what model of Dodge you have and where it was made. If the engine doesn't seem to fit now you know why.

The P15 engine is as correct either way.

Now you know why I kept asking if there were any identifying marks on the car, ID plate etc.

The 1937 Plymouth was on a 112" wheelbase while the Dodge D5 was on a 115" wheelbase. The difference was behind the rear door with the rear axle moved back 3". As well, the rear quarter window was longer.

The export/Canadian Dodges used the Plymouth body with a Dodge front clip. Thus it is easy to make a Plymouth into a Dodge.

I cannot make out the number on the tag found on the car, but below are the serial numbers for the 1937 Plymouth and its variations -

Plymouth Business Six, Canadian Plymouth Six - model P3 :

Detroit - 1184001 to 1237460

LosAngeles - 3101401 to 3105159

Evansville - 9085551 to 9097493

Windsor - 9376676 to 9381157

Plymouth DeLuxe Six, Canadian Plymouth DeLuxe Six and Custom Six - model P4 :

Detroit - 10101001 to 10468044

LosAngeles - 3162501 to 3205879

Evansville - 9950001 to 9999000 and 9190021 to 9199074

Windsor - 9339691 to 9349561

The export DeSoto SP3 was built only in Detroit in 1937, its first year, and used Plymouth serial numbers. Same with the DeSoto DeLuxe SP4 and all Plymouths built for export.

The export Dodge and Canadian Dodge Six - model D6 :

Detroit - 3913151 to 3920175

Windsor - 9318226 to 9320000 and 9387361 to 9388420

Canadian Dodge DeLuxe Six - model D7 :

Windsor - 9469961 to 9478110

The export Dodge D6 was built at the Plymouth plant in Detroit.

The Canadian-built models used U.S. engines for the last time. Thus P3, P4, SP3, SP4, D6 and D7 models, regardless of source, used U.S. Plymouth engines with prefix P4. The 25" block would be used in Canadian Plymouths and Dodges starting in 1938 when the Canadian engine plant opened.

To be complete, the Dodge Six and Canadian Dodge Custom Six - model D5 :

Hamtramck - 4530451 to 4789907

Evansville - 9118501 to 9149360

Windsor - 9409056 to 9413740

All Chrysler Corporation cars in the 1930's, regardless of where the final assembly took place, used chassis and usually bodies built in either Detroit or Windsor. Closed US bodies were built by Briggs while Canadian bodies were built by Chrysler of Canada.

That P15 engine will fit your 1937 model with no problems. One of the joys of owning a Chrysler product with a flathead six.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest claudiu1988

Thanks for all the information regarding the serial numbers, I will go and see the car in 2 weeks so until then I cannot give you the serial. Now I am very courious to see what serial number the car has.

I also seen here in Romania an 1939 Plymouth sold as a Dodge (had dodge emblems ). I also asked some people in Romania that know the history of the cars here and told me that here in Romania som Dodges were sold as Plymouth, at my car I dont' know why someone wolud change the emblems because the person from who I bought the car used it as a day to day car not as a classic car, also my car has a dodge dash bord. So it's quite complicate, we must do more research. :)

Guest claudiu1988

Also I have an other question, the gear box I understand it's different at the 47 model. So I only have to buy the engine and then find a 37 gearbox?

The oldest reference book I have shows 1940-1954 transmissions alike and interchangeable. I can't go back to 1937 but know of no reason the transmission will not fit.

It would be best to buy the engine, gearbox, driveshaft and rear axle when you can. I know I would if I were you. There aren't that many chances to find the right parts, especially in Romania.

chrysler started using column shift in 39 on the dodge, desoto and chrysler and some model plymouths , floor shifts for 37-38, and 39 will interchange , i,m not sure and someone will probably tell us but i think 35-36 will also

Guest claudiu1988

Found this engine, gearbox and drive shaft, the seller says they are from an 1937 Dodge. The D marked on the motor comes from a Dodge but I don't know the model. Here are pictures whit the motor

bfkswbmkkgrhqeokjkeryoh.jpgw800.png

bfkdywbwkkgrhqmokkeery7.jpgw800.png

bfkhmwwkkgrhqmoki0erzhs.jpgw800.png

bfktnwkkgrhqqokigerypgj.jpgw800.png

bfkwigcgkkgrhquokimerzi.jpgw800.png

Guest Backyardmechanic

Look behind the genterator on the engine block there should be a date code there like 3 14 37 this will tell you when the block was cast at the foundy in this case it would be March 14 1937.

Vern

Guest claudiu1988

The numbers are D5-68213. The dodge 1937 Sedan had the same engine. I will talk to the seller and buy this one. He said the engine came off his 1937 Dodge, the car was transformed in to a hot rod.

I also found something here in Constanta, a fuel pomp but I don't know the year. It's marked AC.

D5 is a 1937 Dodge engine all right. This was the last year Canadian made cars used imported engines, therefore it should be the shorter 23" long engine. This is important if you need to order parts.

I'm impressed that you found the correct engine for your car. There must be a lot more old Dodge engines in Romania than I thought. I couldn't have found one here in Canada as quickly.

D5 is a 1937 Dodge engine all right. This was the last year Canadian made cars used imported engines, therefore it should be the shorter 23" long engine. This is important if you need to order parts.

I'm impressed that you found the correct engine for your car. There must be a lot more old Dodge engines in Romania than I thought. I couldn't have found one here in Canada as quickly.

The engine found uses an American engine number - there is no "C" either before or after the sequential number. The engines installed in pre-1938 Chryco vehicles used American engines right down to the engine number.

Also, if I am reading the serial number correctly, it is an American Dodge.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest claudiu1988

The engine isn't from Romania (I wished it was) it's from USA. I just bought it. And it will come home in several weeks. Here is Romania 98% of the pre 1945 cars don't have the original engine so It's very hard to find here a good one.

Guest claudiu1988

Found this today in Romania, they are on a 1937 dodge car that is in bad shape and that was also modified (no engine, missing a lot of parts). Do you think the rear axle and the rims are original dodge 1937 or they are more recent, I compared them whit original omes and thay seem to be the same but I need your opinions. Here are the photos.

p1060601.jpgw2560.png

p1060596g.jpgw2560.png

p1060597f.jpgw2560.png