Full circle - somewhat but not completely OT

padgett

Sometimes I discover things by accident, others are more like sledgehapmmers.

Been working to get this 87 Fiero GT out of the garage so that the Reatta can go back in. Problem is that it arrived DOA and had no other place to put it and raise off the ground.

Fuel pump was initial problem. PO claimed it was replaced. Not. Has a AcDelco EP240 in there now humming along. While up I shot the reason it was not charging and diagnosed a bad regulator (internal). Needed to do while in air since has to come out the wheel well and part of the suspension needs to come apart (one of their more brilliant designs).

Now normally I avoid Advance Auto because they used to be Discount Auto and on general purposes I avoid anything with "discount" in the name.

However checking the web sites, the "WorldWide" remaned 94 amp alternator was $15 less than AZ's "Duralast" and the core was $10 less. While ruminating on that in today's mail was a $10 off coupon for Advance. The clincher was that my local store was the only one in the area that had one on the shelf. I can take a hint.

Hied to the store and noticed that while the box said "WorldWide", it also said "Remy Aftermarket.

Now a few know that in my GMI daze my sponsor was Delco Remy Division. No way there could be two Remys.

A little googling and sure enough, "WorldWide" is a brand name for Remy of Pendleton (other side of I-69 from Anderson) Indiana

So following the disassembly of GM, if you want a Delco alternator (or starter) for a Reatta, looks like Remy is the place to go. (ob Reatta)

Wonder if they are still using the fixture I designed for disassembling alternators ? Cut the ruined stator rate by over 90%.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Nah, never touch reman alternators from the parts stores regardless of the brand name on the box. I've had too many of them fail a few months later. Now I use a local rebuilder shop, it takes a few days for them to rebuild, but I then not only have no worries for years, but I also request they up the amperage for more electrical power.

I've had the opposite experience with remaned starters & alternators. Do find the lifespan is dramatically increased when you run the engine cooler. All of my computer cars have 180F thermostats and everything lasts longer.

For that matter, I do not mind doing "bearings and brushes" myself (as mentioned I spent a year in the reman shop at Delco Remy and learned a few things there.

Not to say I have not seen shoddy jobs but really Delco units are rugged and made to be rebuilt.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Personally, when it comes to Fiero's, especially GT's with the auto,

I always put in NEW alternators.

The reason is because it usually takes between 2-4 hours+ (depending on how good you are) to replace the alternator on a Fiero GT, especially if it's an auto! Because it is a pain (and you dont want to have to go back in there for a while) it's better to go NEW. Besides, how do you know the guy (or gal) who

rebuilt your alternator did a good job? And, what does rebuilt /re-manufactured really mean anyways? And what all did they replace??

New usually means ALL NEW.

I figure the chance of failure is a lot less.

So, I'd rather gamble on a new one for this car at least.

Kit / 90 Reatta / 85 & 86 Fiero GT's

Parts store alternators usually mean all parts are inspected by some little foreign bugger and only failed parts are replaced. Almost failed parts are not, they must be hard failed or they don't mess with it.

The nice thing about a local rebuilder is if he messes it up, you know EXACTLY which little local bugger to go see about it.

Guest Richard D

Several years ago I bought a reman alternator with lifetime warranty from the excitable boys parts store for my Thunderbird, 140 amp. The first three failed within 24 hours, at least they are easy to swap. When I took each one back the clerk simply tossed the box into a bin and got me another one, no questions. Finally I asked for a new one and they did not have any. The manager gave me a remaned Remy with a three year warranty and it worked fine for as long as I owned the car. On top of that I received three cards in the next 6 months that they were changing the lifetime warranty on the alternator I bought to 1 year, they were dropping that remaned line of products. Sorry for any inconvience. If they had offered the Remy first I would have bought that one. PS. Ford wanted $840.00 for a new alternator.

Several years ago I bought a reman alternator with lifetime warranty from the excitable boys parts store for my Thunderbird, 140 amp..... If they had offered the Remy first I would have bought that one. PS. Ford wanted $840.00 for a new alternator.

Yeow!

For my past couple of alternators, I've been using a local shop. They claim they use all Delco parts. I upgraded my Suburban from a CS-130D to a CS-144 a few years ago. (A fairly well-beaten path.) They grabbed the exact model I needed of the shelf, and they charged me about the same as the internet places. And like Telco says, you know who did the work.

I know our Reattas have 120 amp alternators. But what style are they? I'm thinking they are 17SI units, because the newer CS-130, which GM started using around the time the Reatta was built, only went up to 105 amps. The 17SI was replaced by the CS-144.

Guest Bill_Boro

I was supprised to find out there are several grades of new parts!

Some of the discount store new units didn't pass OEM QA standards but are sold wholesale at deep discounst to aftermarket lables. In most cases these new units are functional but for how long? How smooth? etc.

I also understand that a similar grade system exist at some large rebuilders. I have seen it myself on rebuilt brake calipers, water pumps, and power steering pumps

It is not really that bad just in comparison to the 3800 which is belt, two bolts and two connectors and out (have done after dark at a parts house in Tennessee since always carry a long 18mm wrench).

For Fiero it is remove top alternator bolt and four bracket bolts while car is down. Jack car up and remove wheel, lower alt bolt and belt. Remove cotter pin and tie rod nut. Use pickle fors and kabanger to remove tie tod end. Raise tie rod up and to rear. Remove alternator bracket from top, rotate alternator and remove main wire and connector from top then alternator through wheel well. Note relationship between connectors and bolt holes. Trial fit new alternator to bracket while out.

(I also connect new alternator to fixture and spin up with an electric drill using a headlamp as load and a PowerMate as source - have found an occasional DOA this way - on 3800 I just toss on and see if works).

Installation is reverse. Whole process could be done in less than an hour on a rust-free car if you have the right tools. I do go through a lot of Anti-Seize. Hardest part is tightening the belt if you do not have the special turnbuckle.

Big news is IT LIVES - had it out and up to 50-55 faster than expected with all systems nominal and charging. Still like the manual trans white GT better.

Best news is Reattae are back in the garage where they belong.

lives.jpg

I know our Reattas have 120 amp alternators. But what style are they? I'm thinking they are 17SI units, because the newer CS-130, which GM started using around the time the Reatta was built, only went up to 105 amps. The 17SI was replaced by the CS-144.

I was just looking at the AC Delco web site and it answered the question of mine on Reatta alternators. It seems our cars do have a CS-144 style alternator. I was confused because the one in the Reatta has a different fan configuration on the front pulley than the one I put in my truck.

The CS-144s that I've normally seen look something like this:

Cs144a.jpg

(Photo swiped from alternatorparts.com.)

Note that the fan blades are behind the front disc on the pulley. Perhaps this allows a larger fan, without worry about the belt touching the ends of the fan blades?

It is interesting that the Reatta came with such a hefty alternator. Guessing they went overboard for very stable power because of all the computer stuff in the '88-89 cars.