1940 Buick trunk seal question???

Guest papaw

I am trying to order a new trunk seal for a 40 Buick 56s coupe. Both companies I talked with are listing 2 different seals. One for the channel on the body, and one for the trunk lid itself. The only seal I have is in the channel on the body and none on the trunk lid itself. NO signs of one ever being there. Can anyone tell me is there suppose to be a seal on the lid itself also or just the channel on the body? Very confusing as why 2 seals are listed for this car. THANKS, for any help that can be given to clear this up before I order. Attachment is of the channel area I removed the one and only seal on this car.

papaw,

Not having a 40 Coupe to look at, I am wondering if that seal listed has nothing to do with sealing the trunk itself but is in fact for somthing attached to the trunk such as an emblem, handle, etc.

Just a thought.

Michael O'Docharty

Raleigh, NC

1930 Buick Model 68

Each seal is listed for 15ft. I made a few calls and was told they came both ways. They were listed that way for which ever way the car came. Seems strange they would make it both ways as the one on the trunk lid would not be able to seal over the channel. I ordered the one that goes in the channel as that is the way the car is. The car is all original and there was no sign of one ever being on the trunk, (glue, stick stuff etc..) and no marks on the paint. The rim of the trunk is smooth and no wholes etc...

Guest buicks39

just replaced mine on my 39 buick 4 door and took the original one off the channel.nothing was on the lid.if i remember correctly mine was also 15 feet with 1or 2 feet to spare.

Buicks39, as I said that is what I ended up ordering but they sure make things difficult when ordering. Mine is a 40 56s coupe and it came out to be 13' 4" when I measured it after I took it off. Don't understand where this one for the trunk lid came from in the catalogs as I never seen one that way. Of course there are alot of things I haven't seen and am still learning. This is why I put the question out there, to try and find out.